Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Do I need a reality check?? Need your opinion quick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Do I need a reality check?? Need your opinion quick Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the camaro is a 396 car, it is somwhat taken apart and the #s dont match. He does have some new parts and the engine is running, but out of the car, it has all the hidden headlight stuff, 5500 redline tach and factory console guages, disc brakes. The body has some surface rust and the trunk and floors are very clean, the left quarter has a tiny spot of rust at the very bottom. Fenders are clean and they are off the cat so I looked at the back of them also. He is firm at 7k SHOULD I BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say its not a downright 'steal' but yet it seems to be a pretty good 'deal'

You really need to look at whats being sold on ebay now to make your own judgment.

Here's a link to first gen Camaros under 10K-

Ebay Link

Hanz

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at, and ask around on TeamCamaro.com They have every owner of a Camaro on line. Half of them are number matching people who obsess about chalk marks and paint drips, the rest are sensible hot rodders who want to build a muscle car.

It's free and informative. Just don't tell anyone there were you found the car or it will be gone before you can say "what happened?" All of these guys think nothing of spending $7,000 to buy themselves a collection of parts for the car they are spending their serious money on.

Hideaway headlights means it is an RS car, a big block was only offered in an SS: a first Gen rust free RS/SS car would fetch about $40,000 as a rebuildable car so don't be too free with the responses. If you have the cowl tag info VIN number info off motor and any other documentation they can tell you when it was made, by whom, and what shirt the guy was wearing when they painted the car.

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how the topic got so wide that It was a pita to read it! The guy is full of crap Period!!! That is the reason I quized you on the M22!! That was a long drive for a pos! Sorry it was you, Usually it is me that gets screwed!!
jonny_b

5693.36 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make a copy of, write down, all of the information on the TAG of the car including the VIN and go do some research to be sure what the car was when it was built, also definatly talk to some hardcore 1st gen camaro guys and get advice on rust trouble spots to look for.

A good idea that I like to use when shopping for muscle cars is take someone along who knows cars but wouldn't get excited about the purchase. I find that when I get excited about finding a great deal or a car that I really want, I tend to not see problems that would have probably kept me from buying the car all together, when there is someone els there not as excited, they will see things you may not want to see.

In my opinon it is better to let a $7,000 great deal slip through your fingers than get totaly ripped off, so take your time and make sure you know what you are buying.

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your intentions with the car ? do you plan to build it as a "numbers matching" collector garage queen, or are you getting it because it would be a fun car to build AND drive ?

Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on restoring the car and driving it on limited ocasions. I did read the cowl tag and it was built in Los Angeles Ca. If it was a 67 the tag and vin can give quite a bit of info on what the car was. Unfortunately by 68 the tag only tells you where it was built, color, and V-8 or 6 cyl. It does not signify anything special like Z-28 or SS or Big block. So you just have to follow as many clues as possible, like the heater hoses coming out in the middle of the box, and the 12 bolt that matches the car date and looks like it has been in there since day one, also the drag link is larger on the BB cars, the 5500 redline tach, and I saw 30 year old pictures of the car with the original smog equipment still in tact.
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best with the car. Have you already brought it home?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant say i know a whole lot about appraisals but i know from all the rust repair on mine i would rather spend the extra $$$ for a car with good factory sheetmetal.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
cant say i know a whole lot about appraisals but i know from all the rust repair on mine i would rather spend the extra $$$ for a car with good factory sheetmetal.
I'm not worthy I'm not worthy I'm not worthy I'm not worthy I'm not worthy Crap
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not worthy I'm not worthy I'm not worthy I'm not worthy I'm not worthy Crap

Adam,
What gives is it really that bad? I have to say if he is happy that is it. Let it go.
Rolling Eyes
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss somthing here? Weather I am the brunt of some joke or not, I am going to buy the car!
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted a thread "teenagers first car". its a 69 Mustang. the owner spent $15k on rust repair and body work. another $12k on the rest. i havent seen the car you are buying but after that Mustang, $7k doesnt sound too bad. no, i wouldnt spend that much on just a clean body but i like to "cut em up". its your money, your car.... enjoy.

jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're going to get it.
Plan on rebuilding everything. That way if you find something in good shape, it's a plus.
It's a huge undertaking but try to do everything right the first time.
Take a ton of pictures when you take it apart. Trust me, if it's apart for a long time you'll be glad to have the pictures when you put it back together. Also catalogue where bolts, nuts, screws and washers go. It'l take a few more minutes on disassembly but will speed up assembly by a wide margin.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it takes about five guys to disassemble a Camaro. One guy with the air impact, one guy with the digital video recorder on a tripod noting everything the guy with the impact wrench does. One guy off camera with a digital camera taking pictures of every part as it is handed to him. Another guy to bag and tag, and to store the part in a bin noting parts location of said part with a separate digital video camera recording the storage part of the operation. Then there are the neighborhood kids who are put to work setting up the video camera lighting, parts washing of grubby parts before being photographed, wire brushing them first and of course the "Best Boy" with the supply of beers, and the "Key Grip" who keeps track of the Mrs. so she won't notice the mess you're making of her garage with all that spilt motor oil and hypoid.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: