Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Started my nitrous install...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I may be confusing myself with the verbiage here, while I'm trying to read between the lines; but are you using the return line to feed your nitrous? I see a pressure regulator which belongs in the fuel line after the carb (on the distributor end of the food chain) apparently before it with what I was assuming to be the return line feeding the NOS plate fuel. Am I missing something here?

Big Dave

Dave, my regulator is not a bypass type regulator.
Both exits are at the same pressure (6.75 psi right now). My system does not have a return line at all as neither my pump or regulator are setup for one.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth I recommend a return line on a high performance pump. Keep it in mind when you are thinking about the next build, as it provides better performance from the pump with a cooler supply of fuel at a higher volume (well I think it does). I also use alcohol needle and seats in my Holley with gasoline to get as much go juices as I can into the bowls. Since switching over to a return line system with a BG return line pressure regulator on my Holley black pump all of my fuel supply problems (surging and running dry on top end) went away.

Big Dave
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
For what it is worth I recommend a return line on a high performance pump. Keep it in mind when you are thinking about the next build, as it provides better performance from the pump with a cooler supply of fuel at a higher volume (well I think it does). I also use alcohol needle and seats in my Holley with gasoline to get as much go juices as I can into the bowls. Since switching over to a return line system with a BG return line pressure regulator on my Holley black pump all of my fuel supply problems (surging and running dry on top end) went away.

Big Dave

Well, I haven't had any issues regarding not having a return line.. I might run one with my next setup.. Fuel delivery is working great on my current setup.. My fuel line and pump are big enough to easily handle a 100 shot..
I'll see how the car will run with the current setup. Based on the results, I'll either keep it that way or run a seperate regulator for the nitrous system fuel feed.
On my next build, I might run 2 separate fuel systems as you are recommending..
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to reiterate Dave's thinking and experience as I have been there and hated it having to spend another $200.00 to get the correct system for any thing you run! Money spent now on things that should be FIXED is way better than trying to figure out what the problem is later!!!!

I am in the process of fixing a lot of things that I should have known but didn't when building my set up!!!! Learn and Race!!!!!!
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
I just want to reiterate Dave's thinking and experience as I have been there and hated it having to spend another $200.00 to get the correct system for any thing you run! Money spent now on things that should be FIXED is way better than trying to figure out what the problem is later!!!!

I am in the process of fixing a lot of things that I should have known but didn't when building my set up!!!! Learn and Race!!!!!!

Well, I know for a fact that my fuel delivery system is adequate for up to a 200 shot with my current setup. The only question is if I'll need a 2nd regulator.. Once I'm in a much higher power range, I'll run a separate fuel system but for my current setup it's definetely overkill..
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:

Well, I know for a fact that my fuel delivery system is adequate for up to a 200 shot with my current setup. The only question is if I'll need a 2nd regulator.. Once I'm in a much higher power range, I'll run a separate fuel system but for my current setup it's definitely overkill..

Overkill is always the best from what I have encountered in the past trying to do things by the book or what people have said!

What I am saying is don't take a path of destruction when you can avoid it by listening to people that have been there!
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:

Well, I know for a fact that my fuel delivery system is adequate for up to a 200 shot with my current setup. The only question is if I'll need a 2nd regulator.. Once I'm in a much higher power range, I'll run a separate fuel system but for my current setup it's definitely overkill..

Overkill is always the best from what I have encountered in the past trying to do things by the book or what people have said!

What I am saying is don't take a path of destruction when you can avoid it by listening to people that have been there!

I rather spend the money when I have to and not before. The most $ needed could be about $40 for another regulator...
The fuel pump delivers 140 gph at 14 psi through #8 braided line and that is plenty... There will not be a fuel delivery problem with my current setup. I'm sure about that...
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a dead head or a true bypass?
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:

It's not a bypass pump as that one would require a return line and my system doesn't have one. My fuel cell is also not set up for a return line.. It has 2 exit ports and one vent but no hook up for a return line..
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the one regulator running both carb and nitrous, but I think he will be o.k. with it. He has a good system and has some leeway on dropping fuel pressure without starving the carb. 6 lbs. should be fine with an electric pump. For some strange reason, the only time I have had to drop pressure down to 5 lbs. is if the nitrous system if fed by a mechanical pump. When I started the Nova years ago, I had the Victor series mechanical pump running the motor and a 150 plate that didn't really do much at all at 6.5 lbs. fuel pressure. Dropped it to 5 and life was good. Recently we ran into the exact same thing on my buddies MonteCarlo. Big mechanical pump and a 100 shot. Not much at 6.5, but drop to 5 and life is good. Both of these systems ran bypasses and the only thing I can guess is the pulsing sort of overshoots the bypass spring and there is some overshoot even though we didn't see it on the guage. Sorry for the babble. Clay
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:

It's not a bypass pump as that one would require a return line and my system doesn't have one. My fuel cell is also not set up for a return line.. It has 2 exit ports and one vent but no hook up for a return line..

No big deal. if you do want to upgrade it, drill a hole and put an AN-8 bulkhead.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:

You use 1 of the exit ports for the bypass line. The bypass has to be submerged or the fuel will aerate.
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:

You use 1 of the exit ports for the bypass line. The bypass has to be submerged or the fuel will aerate.

If running foam, no problem. If not, using a tube from the bulkhead to just off the bottom of the cell will work.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beersngars wrote:
af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:

If running foam, no problem. If not, using a tube from the bulkhead to just off the bottom of the cell will work.

That is correct! Without foam the bypass needs to be away from the pickup.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a indicator light (green) to indicate if the solenoids are actually activated.

Yesterday, I also added a new fuel door.. (not nitrous install related)

I also ordered a purge kit...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: