Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Nitrous must have brung out the weak spots w/pics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to here that you are having cam troubles.. Break in is very important as well as you probaly know by now... But there was a reason for this to happen and it very important that you find what cuased it so that it doesnt happen agian...

If you suspect the lifter bore you should check them all with a teloscoping gauge, checking deep into the bore and in the usual pattern. Mic the lifters as well... If you notice any tapper in the bore itself it will need to be bushed.

If you wiped a complete lobe out that means that metal went thought the oil. It might be cheaper to just pull the motor now then wait for the falling oil pressure 100 miles for now.....

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with disturbthepeace1, I would pull the motor and clean everything up. Definately put in a new oil pump and maybe even bearings as there was metal going everywhere. What was your break in procedure exactly? Rpm for first 20 min or so, cam lube, spring setup, and oil additives can all come into play to make a flat tappet setup survive - especially with todays oils. Personally I do the break in procedure for several times without the inner spings and then drive it for a few hundred miles before putting the inners in and changing the breakin oil that had GM E.O.S. in it. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where it becomes a PITA. I totally agree with the last 2 posters. Get the stuff out before you hate life like I have in the past not doing it. Clay and Disturbed are not rookies.
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everybody on this. Next time when breaking in the cam try using Rotella oil and do it with out the inner springs. This should fix the problem. We had the same thing happen to the Cleveland we run in my friends car it is a mechanical cam and it wiped out a lobe during break in good thing was comp cams replaced it for free. He tried to use engine flush to clean all the metal out so he could make a couple of races but the oil pressure kept getting worse. When we pulled the motor the bearings and oil pump were wiped out. Not to mention some nice scuffing in the cylinder walls. Do your self a favor and rebuild it, I know you don't want to hear that but that is the best route. Later Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the cam to take last night and was able to run it today. The problem Im sure was the lifters, being a noob at this I didn't realize that the old lifters were bad. They wouldn't push down with the pressure of your fingers at all. The new ones did.

Yeah, it is definitely lots of fun on the street now, so much more power it feels ridiculous compared to how it was. Thanks for all the great Info and help guys, Ill have to get a video or something going with burnouts when it gets nicer outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: