Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Nitrous must have brung out the weak spots w/pics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your last response, the compression is listed as 117 lbs. Is this the cranking compression the motor had with the current cam before the "incident"? Also the stroke is listed as 3" which I assume is an error since this should make it a 302. With your chamber, you may want to take out a little more timing than the recommended 2 - 3 degrees per 100 h.p. to be safe. I know af2, the heads aren't ideal, but that's what he has, and he's going to run them, so we'll have to do what we can to help him make it live. Clay
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bo take a look at cam research they are a sister company to MPG heads and located in Colorado. Thats were you are right? They speacialize in Fords and work alot with Cleveland heads and combinations they can get make you A cam for about the price you can buy one off the shelf. Just my 2 cents that is who is going to do my cam this time around that is also were I got my CHI heads.
http://www.mpgheads.com/[/url]

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
In your last response, the compression is listed as 117 lbs. Is this the cranking compression the motor had with the current cam before the "incident"? Also the stroke is listed as 3" which I assume is an error since this should make it a 302. With your chamber, you may want to take out a little more timing than the recommended 2 - 3 degrees per 100 h.p. to be safe. I know af2, the heads aren't ideal, but that's what he has, and he's going to run them, so we'll have to do what we can to help him make it live. Clay

Yeah my bad, it was 3.5 stroke, and the Compression was 117 before the problem arose.
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the web site for cam research I had to find it.

http://www.camresearchcorp.com/

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bocephus027 wrote:

These specs?

351C CJ 4 Bolt Main 750 CFM Edelbrock Carb on top of a Torker 1 Series intake dual plane manifold
Appears as though bored out .040 over and has Hyperpuetic(sp) Pistons 3 inch stroke
compression 117 lbs
9.5:1
2 1/2 exhaust with headers

Current heads:

73-76cc
Valves Port Size
2.19" Intake 2.50x1.75" Intake
1.71" Exhaust 2.00"x1.74" Exhaust

Before I post I want to say if you are using those heads the timing is going to be the factor on if it lives or die.
Doing a quikcalc I come up with 8.9:1 compression. If the head gaskets have been changed without block decking chances are you have 8.5:1. You had way too much to start with now you have more. I would not run non adjustable rockers with any thing that didn't have the stock measurements. The lifter preload is thrown out the window. Why? because you don't know!

I also heard, everyone behind you were cracking up when you hit the button! I know I'm a retard
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Bocephus027 wrote:

These specs?

351C CJ 4 Bolt Main 750 CFM Edelbrock Carb on top of a Torker 1 Series intake dual plane manifold
Appears as though bored out .040 over and has Hyperpuetic(sp) Pistons 3 inch stroke
compression 117 lbs
9.5:1
2 1/2 exhaust with headers

Current heads:

73-76cc
Valves Port Size
2.19" Intake 2.50x1.75" Intake
1.71" Exhaust 2.00"x1.74" Exhaust

Before I post I want to say if you are using those heads the timing is going to be the factor on if it lives or die.
Doing a quikcalc I come up with 8.9:1 compression. If the head gaskets have been changed without block decking chances are you have 8.5:1. You had way too much to start with now you have more. I would not run non adjustable rockers with any thing that didn't have the stock measurements. The lifter preload is thrown out the window. Why? because you don't know!

I also heard, everyone behind you were cracking up when you hit the button! I know I'm a retard

Yeah I have decided to go with the stud mount conversion, nobody had anything good to say about the pedestal and I am glad you changed my mind. I don't know anything about valve train so I am not gonna act like I do know something, I wanna learn as much as I can though.

Why would everyone behind me laugh when I used nitrous?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bocephus027 wrote:

Quote:
I thought it was the nitrous because it had made a rattling sound that i thought was my spedo from the pace for about 5 seconds, and it felt as if my timing had reduced, also this is a run in which i used nitrous in drive

.....would be my guess Wink

Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
Bocephus027 wrote:

Quote:
I thought it was the nitrous because it had made a rattling sound that i thought was my spedo from the pace for about 5 seconds, and it felt as if my timing had reduced, also this is a run in which i used nitrous in drive

.....would be my guess Wink

haha how was I supposed to know other then the rough idle it felt damn good for 7 cylinders. I'm new at this stuff.
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to take it to a machine shop and just do it the right way, and I am glad I did. It turns out springs were at 180 lbs which is what wore out the lobe on the cam most likely, and the valve guides were too big knurled I think they called it? So everything I thought I needed before plus new valves that are meant for the racing a little more, and the spring retainers turned out to be alluminum! so the spring ate into them and I was told it looked as if the spring could of sometime popped off the retainer. All said and done for the head work and all the parts it only put me back about 1,900 when all is said and done after i get oil gaskets and odds and ends.
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you got your heads fixed but that was kind of pricey. The guy that did my heads with Ferrea valves valve job and ti retainers and new springs charged me $750. Was the extra cost because of the machining for the studs or did you get the ports worked on? You could have almost bought the aluminum eldebrock heads for that complete. Well at least your car will be back on the road soon.

Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Jones wrote:
I am glad you got your heads fixed but that was kind of pricey. The guy that did my heads with Ferrea valves valve job and ti retainers and new springs charged me $750. Was the extra cost because of the machining for the studs or did you get the ports worked on? You could have almost bought the aluminum eldebrock heads for that complete. Well at least your car will be back on the road soon.

Yeah the shop I went to said the heads would need a little milling, instead of using a pedestal conversion kit he was drilling and tapping it to 7/16 studs and also all the new valves. But that price also includes the cam, lifters rods, roller rockers, and springs, I just decided to order everything threw him.

Also he suggested i set my timing chain 4 deg advanced to get more bottom end out of the engine, anyone have experience with this?
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bocephus027 wrote:
William Jones wrote:

Yeah the shop I went to said the heads would need a little milling, instead of using a pedestal conversion kit he was drilling and tapping it to 7/16 studs and also all the new valves. But that price also includes the cam, lifters rods, roller rockers, and springs, I just decided to order everything threw him.

Everyone suggest 4* to save their a$$. Hellooooooooo.
That is my take!

Also he suggested i set my timing chain 4 deg advanced to get more bottom end out of the engine, anyone have experience with this?

So if you run a cam that is 4* advanced and put another 4* that is 8* and is the most stupid # I have ever seen!!!!!
Set it up where Confused the cam grinder said and be happy! And not the guy being the best one one the block. Over kill but I hope it doesn't happen!!!!
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you advance a cam it advances all of the timing events. The improved scavenging helps the bottom to mid range torque but at the expense of the top end, were it causes a lean condition. You should only advance or retard a cam about four degrees total either way because you will start to have valve to piston clearance problems and if you need more of something, advancing or retarding isn't the way to go, but it is just an indication of what your next cam should be.

Big Dave
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Bocephus027 wrote:
William Jones wrote:

Everyone suggest 4* to save their a$$. Hellooooooooo.
That is my take!

So if you run a cam that is 4* advanced and put another 4* that is 8* and is the most stupid # I have ever seen!!!!!
Set it up where Confused the cam grinder said and be happy! And not the guy being the best one one the block. Over kill but I hope it doesn't happen!!!!

Cam manufacturer says to advance it with the timing gear if possible, and also the guy at the shop told me to do the same thing because of the elevation.

I got the whole car together but im not sure if it is supposed to idle as rough as it is, there is no smoke from exhaust at all. I ran it at 2000 to 2500 for about 20 minutes as suggested to wear the cam in, but when the rpms came to idle it had a ticking noise that may be exhaust, when I change the oil and oil filter again aside from the exhaust leak, do you think mechanical nosie will be even quieter?
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First cam got wiped, for whatever reason the lifters weren't rotating, gonna Hone out the sleeves and try again once i get a new cam and lifters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: