Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Nitrous is like Meth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Nitrous is like Meth Reply with quote

I finally got a nitrous kit, I went with Edlebrock's kit that goes 50-100 shot, Today I got the bottle filled for 40 dollars and of course, I am not gonna wait 6 months to test it, so I did what any other people would do.

I went out and tested it, for the money nitrous is just amazing, the 50 shot throws me threw gears so fast i am breaking the wheels loose into 2nd and 3rd and I can't wait to see my 1/4 mile times this summer. Of course I can't wait to try 75 and 100 hp at the track, but 50 seems to be plenty enough. All that happened to day to my knowledge is my header gasket cracked or came loose.

I know some of you wont approve the street use of the NOS, but I can't not test a new toy Very Happy
pro60chevy

16.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great thing. Very Happy

I've been hooked on the stuff since the early 80's and have no intention of ever getting off it.

Just make sure you keep it fed with plenty of fuel.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use it in the street Very Happy ? In SC, I talked to several highway patrollmen a year or two ago at a gas station (by my choice actually) and asked them about nitrous and street use. Basically it boils down to this - as long as nitrous doesn't cause you to get a reckless driving ticket, they could care less and it's legal to use it in SC on the street. Granted, nitrous can get you into the reckless driving area pretty quick and I'm glad I live in the stix. Glad it went good. Clay
pro60chevy

16.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, the problem with using it on the street has to do with traction. I could never get the tires on my 32 to stick to the ground when the magic button was pushed.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here in Florida. Nitrous is legal to own and have installed in the car. Doing above the speed limit, reckless driving (willful and wanton) is not. Seems every ricer that is owned by someone under forty has Nitrous dealer installed (along with a chromed coffee can exhaust tip, neon lights and LEDS on the cowl). It got so bad the local speed shop refused to fill nitrous bottles any more because he couldn't get any other work done, and the ricers were driving off his paying customers. Now they have to go to the biker shop to get their giggle gas (talk about strange bed fellows, father and son getting gassed together).

In Great State of Georgia the legislature in their infinite wisdom have banned nitrous installation in anything wearing an automobile tag (race cars on trailers are legal on the road so long as the tank is empty; out of state visitors have to have an empty tank if stopped or it is an automatic ticket). So it is a state by state thing. In Florida if two vehicles take off from a light together and stop accelerating at the speed limit it is still a ticketable offense called "public display of speed" (racing on the highway). Block long burn outs would get you arrested (The only reason I haven't been thrown under the jail is because I used to be one, and luckily for me, most of my old buddies are brass now; so they usually show up at the scene whenever they hear a call go out describing the end of civilization as they know it).

If you haven't guessed by now I have nitrous on my cars (250 horse shot on the BBC, 75 horse shot on the 406 SBC). A 15 pound bottle fill is $27 here (or was, I haven't filled either bottle in almost a year, since the local speed shop stopped filling). It is addictive, but luckily for me I have enough grunt in each motor to get by with out depending upon it (I only put the plate system in my daily driver because I enjoyed the hit so much in the BB car).

I guess since I've gone a year without my addiction is cured; so I can stop going to the meetings. Course it's been a while; maybe I should go and get my SB car filled and try it out. Just a little shot.

Big Dave
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 67 camaro with a 406 sb and 4 speed, very turn key driver, and I had installed a 150 shot at the time I installed the new engine. I kept telling myself you have to put some miles on this thing and break it in before you use the nitrous. By about the third stop light I thought I will just test it and see if it is working. Well 15 minutes of driving later the bottle was empty!LOL So I went home and got another and emptied that one also. So much for break in LOL I was hooked bad. The next day I got my friends and we went out to set a world record long burnout. I tried to look at the passenger and the car was so full of smoke we couldnt see each other, or where we were going so we rolled the windows down. Talk about a scene from a cheech and chong movie. What great fun!
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cutlass389

What are you trying to say? That we're junkies with no control over ourselves?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to install my Edelbrock 100 - 250 HP shot.. I'm planning on spraying a 100 shot in high gear only. This should be enough to get me into 9's on a cold day.. That's all I want!!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's all I want!!

I've heard that before - wait, I've said that before. Just one more hit pleeeeaaaasssseee....Clay
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I' mmm only gonna use the 100 horse hit. Untill you find the bigger pill, bigger pump, better fuel system. blown pistons, etc..

Didn't somebody once say, "I can stop any time I want to; I just don't want to!"

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
I' mmm only gonna use the 100 horse hit. Untill you find the bigger pill, bigger pump, better fuel system. blown pistons, etc..

Didn't somebody once say, "I can stop any time I want to; I just don't want to!"

Big Dave

Dave, that is why I still smoke the Marlboros! Rolling Eyes
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Quote:
That's all I want!!

I've heard that before - wait, I've said that before. Just one more hit pleeeeaaaasssseee....Clay

Well.. that's all I want FOR NOW.. I would like to spray a 250 HP shot but my tranny just won't hold up and neither will my engine.. My block is a standard 4-bolt 400 block and with a 100 shot I'll be in the 750 HP range and that's about as much as I'd want to put on such block. My next build will be on a race block and I want to run 750 - 800 HP on engine and spray another 250 HP... but with my current setup, high 9's is all I want.. Once it's time for my new setup, I'll spray the full 250 shot.. Probably a 100 shot for the launch and a 250 shot after that..
Bocephus027

4536.20 points

1972 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah going up shots is scary, but you know you gotta do it.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well.. that's all I want FOR NOW.. I would like to spray a 250 HP shot but my tranny just won't hold up and neither will my engine.. My block is a standard 4-bolt 400 block and with a 100 shot I'll be in the 750 HP range and that's about as much as I'd want to put on such block. My next build will be on a race block and I want to run 750 - 800 HP on engine and spray another 250 HP... but with my current setup, high 9's is all I want.. Once it's time for my new setup, I'll spray the full 250 shot.. Probably a 100 shot for the launch and a 250 shot after that..

Now the truth rears it's ugly head.....Just picking, I absolutely understand your reasons for going easy - for now. Clay
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Quote:

Now the truth rears it's ugly head.....Just picking, I absolutely understand your reasons for going easy - for now. Clay

I hope to get another season out of my current setup... Running low to mid 10's ain't bad for now. If the tranny craps out, I'll go with a built glide and once the engine goes, I'll go with a 15:1 compression 422 that should get me into 9's on engine Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: