Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

350 Engine Plans, Need opinions and comments.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: 350 Engine Plans, Need opinions and comments. Reply with quote

Think I have finally decided on my 350 chevy engine build up for my 71 chevelle.

TRW Forged Aluminum Pistons (9.6:1 with 64cc heads)
5.7 GM PM Rods
Stock Crank in my 4bolt main 350 block
Xtreme Energy 268h cam. (224/230) .477/.480 1600-5800
Updraded Vortec Heads from Scoggin Dickey (modified for higher lift)
Performer RPM Air Gap Intake
1.5 Roller Tip Rockers
650 or 700 holley
Stock Stall

Sound good? *MIGHT* Add some nos later.
13s?
I have a th350 trans with shift kit, and 3.73 gears with posi.
In my stock trimmed chevelle
Mainly a serious street machine, however i will hit the track for the 1/4 miles time to time. Just work, school, cruise.

Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds simple and reliable, however I would go with a 6" bushed rod and a decent 2 eyebrow piston, not the heavy L2256 TRW. Either Wiseco, SRP, or even a LW TRW.

Since the cam is quite mild, which is not a bad thing, you might want to go with 1.6 rockers if your valve springs will take the added lift.

Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plans for your 350 sound great. It will be a very reliable, fun engine. Should make some pretty good streetable power. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the 5.7" rod for the street. If you are not going to rev the engine above 5500 rpm (even 6000 rpm) the stock pressed pins in the shorter rods are fine. I would use the money it would cost to get the fancy rods on something else ( rear end gearing etc.) Hope this helps.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if that combo will push the sled as fast as he is hoping, therefore he might spray it sooner than later. I sure wouldn't want powdered metal rods in there, and for another $95 he can put the ones I suggested in there now. If $ is a factor now, his current stock rods will work fine, I wouldn't spend the cash on PM rods. No gain there.
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i already have posi and 3.73 in my 12bolt
I am on a small budget, but do want the combo to atleast hang with z28s, maybe a stock auto vette.

I'll look into some more pistons, maybe still go forged, i won't race that much but i will every now and then with nos, so i'm proably gonna go forged. But this car is manily a serious street machine

i don't plan on taking it over 6000 rpm
the springs that come on the vortec heads(upgraded) are only good for like .525 lift, so i don't thin 1.6 rockers will work

What would be benefit of 6 " rods?
You said, pm rods would be a waste? if i'm gonna use 5.7" rods just get stock ones reconditioned? will they hold to about 400-450 horses? with maybe 10:1 compression?
I wana make sure the bottom end will be able to handle the vortec heads and 268 cam's power plus some nos down the road maybe. I can't afford for anything to break =)

Should i stay around 9:6 compression, or shoot for like 10:1?, would there be much difference? same on the 6" rods vs the 5.7? big difference?

Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You went from wanting just a fun cruiser, to wanting to hang with certain cars and run a certain ET. Here's my biggest suggestion-

Do your homework and think seriously about building a 383. You can use most of the same parts, just need a 383 crank and pistons. This combo is great for a heavy car. You can run Hyper pistons instead of forged and put the piston savings towards the crank.

You say that you can't afford it to break, I would forget the NOS, if you use it to make up for not enough motor you will put extreme wear on the bottom end, you will be bummed, so just build a strong 'all motor.' Go up slightly on the camshaft, 274 or 288 or so. Then these 'Z28's and stock vettes' will have trouble hangin with you.

RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats sounds good, and i have read up a lot.
I do want it to be a fun crusier, while still being able to make decent runs in the 1/4, while being able to hang with stock sports cars. like z28, gt

I figured it might get a little funky with the prices if i go into a 383. I know id only have to change crank and rods, but then you have to get rods cleranced for the increased stroke? But i did not really read up about the 383 stroker cost.

Yea i dunoo why i even said anything about NOS. I hate the idea of having to refill bottles and stuff. Besides yea I know id be pushing it with nos. I'm on a budget. yea considering the 274 cam also.

Trying to get all the comments and opinions i can get before i start ordering parts =)

RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To better say it, I want the car to be able to hang with z28s, GTs and stock vettes, while still being a very streetable car. This is my primary car.
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdpc2000.com did pretty much the same buildup i am doing with a

5.7 rods
hypt pistons,
vortec heads
performer rpm intake
xe 268 cam
and made 407hp @5200 and 460ft/lbs @4000
sounds sloid, just gotta look into the cost of adding the 383 + whatever shop has to do to make it work properly, plus harmonic balancer, flywheel

i think those where the added cost that deter me from the 383 despite the added power

79z28_406sb

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had that same cam in my camaro i just pulled it apart becouse the cam went flat but i was my missetak i put a synth oil in it it is a good cam
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what cam? The Xtreme energy 268?

What does it sound like? real rough idle?

79z28_406sb

100.00 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not that ruogh it had fast bleed lifters in it to so that takes away on that but yes it was the extreme enrgy
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol right when i pretty much figure out what i wana do with the 350 and buy a 350 4 bolt block, I run into ANOTHER (first sold b4 i could get it) 500caddy motor still running. But i think the caddy motor might require more money seeing as if i would need to change rear gears to a lower 3.08 or something, have 3.73s now. I have been told then want to tug and not rev. Can't really go safely above 5500 with them.
Better just stick with the 350 buildup i think

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaG.... Check out this link . I looks like the 274 gives up little bottom end and gives more top end compared to the 268.

If your considering running nitrous I wouldn't recommend using a dual plane manifold. If your gonna juice it go with a single plane. Off the top of my head I'm not sure who makes a single plane for the vortec heads but I'm sure somebody does.
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'm gonna forgot NOS and spend that money on the motor, i don't really car about gas milage

I think i may just set myself back a couple months and do
383 nodular iron crank
reconditioned 5.7 rods
jusy hypt pistons vs forged
with the 268 cam, i won't be reving it that high most of the time cause it will be mainly a street car, so i'm stay with the 268 cam, 274 puts power range higher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: