Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Block Machine work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Block Machine work Reply with quote

Here's the machine work I'm planning on having done to a 400 SBC.

Oven & Blast block
Bore & hone block with torque plate
Resurface decks set to zero deck.
align hone main line
balance rotating assembly.

Did I miss anything for machine work on the block. I've heard mixed things about lifter bore bushing and align hone the crank. Thoughts suggestions?
osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your going 30 over so this suggestion isn't that critical, but on a 400 you can strengthen the block deck by blocking some of the water passages with pipe plugs before you deck it, drill them for restricted passages then deck the whole thing. I can't remember which holes you block and the drill size opening, but your machinist probably does. If not, you can get this info from Grumpy Jenkins' book on SBC Performance.
lil engine that could

100.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure that my next statement will open a load of discussion here, but i would not reccomend line honing. Unless the crankshaft or maincap has suffered some kind of damage it is a waste of money and time. Plus you remove material from the caps that could weaken ther effectiveness.

Taks care, Joe
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a std bore and I'm planning going 0.030" over, putting in pipe plugs then drilling them to match the gasket. I think Vizard or Lingenfelter shows it in one of their books.

What type of material for the pipe plug? I'm assuming steel but will that corrode and cause problems down the road?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lil engine I've heard mixed things about line honing the mains. David Vizard in his book on small block chevy's says the same thing. It's a waste of time and money. He also thinks bushing the lifter bores is not worth it either.

But in reality how much material are you removing from the main caps? Will that really weaken the mains? I'd think you'll reduce friction and therefore make more power, same thing for bushing the lifter bores.
Machine82'

408.04 points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with balancing the rotating assembly you might want to machine the crank for windage. This could equate to 10-15hp at High rpms. About align honing the main, I would agree with lil Engine, it would reduce friction but will weaken the mains. Less friction is good, but at the cost of strength it's benefits seem nil. What do you plan to bore it to?
osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with lil engine on line honing. Your crank is riding on an oil film and doesn't touch the mains unless things are REALLY out of line, at which point you definitely need to line hone. Place the crank, snug the caps and spin it. If it turns freely, save your money for gas.
The pipe plug in the deck can be either cast or steel, I think. It won't corrode any worse than the block.
Machine82'

408.04 points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to tell if the mains are not lined up is to look at the original bearings, if you still have them. If one side is worn more than the other then it's a good indication of misalignment. Otherwise, save your money!

I've done some asking around about wether or not honing the mains will decrease strength. Everyone I talked to said that it WOULD NOT decrease the strength.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you plan to bore it to?

4.155" total ( 0.030" over std 400).
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let your machine shop check your main align bore with a dial bore gauge and advise you. Nobody else will be able to advise you correctly without seeing it in person. If it needs it, do it. Chevy mains are notorious for being machined sloppy and large from the factory.

What connecting rods are you going to run?

I would also pass on the lifter bore bushing. Hope this helps.

Tiny

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday, Im new to this forum and an Australian reader with great interest in the 400 SBC.

Im currently rebuilding my 400SBC again, and have faced teh same dilemma that you are!

We fitted 4 bolt steel main caps to my virgin block, and so required line bore/honing. We are using ARP bottom end studs for strength too. The block was bored to +.030, and torque plate honed.

Im using stock 5.7" rods and standard crank which have been de burred/ de flashed and shotpeened for strength as well as fully balanced with TRW forged pistons with a slight dish. We have got (new zealand) Pro-Action Cast heads with 220cc runners and 72cc chambers, and were aiming for 10.0:1 compression. I ran a camtech (australian) cam, but we are now changing to a crane solid flat tappet cam for more low down torque.

I can say that i was thrilled with this engine previously ( it had double hump fuellie heads with much port/chamber work) and the old cam, and i really cant wait to fire up this "new" combo. Unfortunately i dont have any HP figures at all as the engine as it was suffered a crack in one of the heads which resulted in water damage to the internals and this current rebuild with the new heads!

I hope your project goes well!
Best of luck!

osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably beating a dead horse, Smoke, since it sounds like your 400 plans are simmering for awhile, but I'm wondering if the suggestion to knife the counterweight arms on the crank is cost effective if you can accomplish the same thing with a $10 scraper that has been profiled.
Daves 57

100.00 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke, which block did you use---509 or 511???
4:11s
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my 406 plans went up in smoke (lack of funds). Therefore I never purchased the block, crank, rods, and pistons. Sad
Daves 57

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke, don't feel bad. My 57s been sitting in the shop for 5 months. My 406 (2 bolt mains) is done except for the carb. Next week the order will go in to Art Carr for there super rebuild kit. $814.00!!!!! And thats not including the 3000 stall lock up converter for the 2004r. Believe me I under stand about lack of funs, but some day in the near future I WILL HERE THE ROAR OF THE BEAST!!!!! If you ever do start to build a 406, let me know, I'd love to hear what your doing. Dave in Clarkridge, Ar.
4:11s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: