Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Finally bought a nitrous kit..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
You will pick up 1 to 2 tenths by using the trans brake.

I hope so.. I just hope that my posi will hold up... My converter is a transbrake converter so it should act much better with the brake...
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I might add that you should rig up a fuel pressuer switch and look into fabing/buying a better full throttle switch bracket. Over time the chessy bracket that comes in the kit tends to bend. I lost 40 bucks on a lame street race because my bracket bent....
cheap stuff to do but can save a race and a motor....

nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of progressive controllers like the Jacobs Mastermind. It has a fuel pressure cutoff, can retard ignition timing, built in window switch, RPM limiter, and it amazingly enough it also progressivly controls 1 or 2 stage nitrous systems.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwcc wrote:
I'm a fan of progressive controllers like the Jacobs Mastermind. It has a fuel pressure cutoff, can retard ignition timing, built in window switch, RPM limiter, and it amazingly enough it also progressivly controls 1 or 2 stage nitrous systems.

I'll not use the spray too frequently so I really don't want to spend big bucks on the setup.. Just the kit, purge kit, window switch and gauge...
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might start my install this or next weekend. Still need to get the pressure gauge for the bottle as also a bottle heater.. Already got the window switch (which I might not use after all) as also my MSD retard control.. The pressure gauge and the purge kit are the only 2 items remaining.. Not sure of the benefit of the purge kit and if it's really needed as I will only be spraying in high gear...
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should hit mid 9's with the big shot if the engine will allow all the system potential to be unleashed.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
Should hit mid 9's with the big shot if the engine will allow all the system potential to be unleashed.

As the engine is only a standard 4 bolt 400 block and my tranny is only rated to 800 HP, I'll only spray 100 HP in high gear.. I only want to hit 9.90's.. I only want to make one or two 9 second passes and then only keep the nitrous for bracket racing strategic purposes.. I'll run the full shot of 250 HP when my next setup will be installed.. (422 or bigger stroker small block with 15:1 compression on a race block).. The goal with the future setup is 9's on engine and 8's on spray..
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I read correctly that you are running a stock 4 bolt 400 block or is it a 2 bolt made into a 4 bolt with splayed caps?
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep_406 wrote:
Did I read correctly that you are running a stock 4 bolt 400 block or is it a 2 bolt made into a 4 bolt with splayed caps?

you are reading correctly!! It is a stock 4-bolt!! The block has held up 180 passes so far on engine.. It should be able to take a small shot of spray... but not more than 100 HP...
The 4-bolt 400 blocks tend to have problems with the caps but mine has held up good so far.. I wouldn't use such block for road racing or other applications with constant high rpm's but for drag racing, such blocks can hold up for a while..
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to mention this before. Have you seen the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind. I know there are other progressive controllers out there too. I just have the Mastermind in the car and it does work well. It would be a perfect thing to do the " bracket racing strategic purposes.." you mentioned. It pulses the solenoids between activation rpm and full rpm chosen. Good to just add what you need in a bracket situation. I used it mostly with the old 355 I had in the car before. I have not really played as much as I would like with "the Juice" on the 406.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need the purge, you may be able to get away without it, try it and see. The only thing it will do is stumble for a split second when it goes rich before the liquid nitrous gets the line filled. Since you will already be W.O.T. at a good rpm, it may be able to stand it without a problem. For your high gear charge I wouldn't get a controller though - they are pretty rough on the solenoids when they are pulsing (hence NOS adds a safety solenoid with their controller). I had the NOS progressive controller on my Nova for a while and a friend has the Jacobs on his 64 Mustang. Each work well (but different) and each has their advantages. Clay
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
I wanted to mention this before. Have you seen the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind. I know there are other progressive controllers out there too. I just have the Mastermind in the car and it does work well. It would be a perfect thing to do the " bracket racing strategic purposes.." you mentioned. It pulses the solenoids between activation rpm and full rpm chosen. Good to just add what you need in a bracket situation. I used it mostly with the old 355 I had in the car before. I have not really played as much as I would like with "the Juice" on the 406.

I haven't heared about that but it sounds interesting.. However, I might just try to spray in high gear off a button and if it doesn't get me where I want, I'll consider other options..
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
You may need the purge, you may be able to get away without it, try it and see. The only thing it will do is stumble for a split second when it goes rich before the liquid nitrous gets the line filled. Since you will already be W.O.T. at a good rpm, it may be able to stand it without a problem. For your high gear charge I wouldn't get a controller though - they are pretty rough on the solenoids when they are pulsing (hence NOS adds a safety solenoid with their controller). I had the NOS progressive controller on my Nova for a while and a friend has the Jacobs on his 64 Mustang. Each work well (but different) and each has their advantages. Clay

Let's see how I'm going to do without a controller and then I'll consider other options..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: