Home | Register | Login | Contact Us

 
Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites
 
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Finally bought a nitrous kit..
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GrandSportC3
Moderator


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 1231
Location: Lakeland, FL
32443.62 points


1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Finally bought a nitrous kit.. Reply with quote

I went with the Edelbrock 100 - 250 HP shot kit.. Should receive it by Wednesday...

However, I'll only use it in January or February...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jeep_406
Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2002
Posts: 1661
Location: Tewksbury, Mass 01876
53123.48 points


1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't used it before. It is one kick in the ass. Make sure the rev limiter is working.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brutisgearhead
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 198
Location: Greeley colorado
6122.48 points


1974 Chevrolet Monza

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandsport, just wondering what rear gear ratio your using.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrandSportC3
Moderator


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 1231
Location: Lakeland, FL
32443.62 points


1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chad McEwan wrote:
Grandsport, just wondering what rear gear ratio your using.


I use 4.11 rear gears.. I actually stepped up to 29.5 inch tall tires (from 28 inch tall) so that I won't run out of RPM.. Right now, I'm trapping at 6800 RPM at about 127 mph.. The 29.5 inch tires should drop the RPM by about 400, so I should be trapping around 7000 RPM if I'll trap at 135 mph with the nitrous..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrandSportC3
Moderator


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 1231
Location: Lakeland, FL
32443.62 points


1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep_406 wrote:
If you haven't used it before. It is one kick in the ass. Make sure the rev limiter is working.


I've hit it many times so I know that it's working Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
jeep_406 wrote:
If you haven't used it before. It is one kick in the ass. Make sure the rev limiter is working.


I've hit it many times so I know that it's working Laughing



Wheel studs? Exclamation Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrandSportC3
Moderator


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 1231
Location: Lakeland, FL
32443.62 points


1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
jeep_406 wrote:
If you haven't used it before. It is one kick in the ass. Make sure the rev limiter is working.


I've hit it many times so I know that it's working Laughing



Wheel studs? Exclamation Laughing


The 1/2 inch studs as also my new lightweight rear brake kit is going in this coming week!! Another 40 lbs weight saving of which 20 lbs will be rotating mass!!

Might use the transbrake for the first time next weekend Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
jeep_406 wrote:
If you haven't used it before. It is one kick in the ass. Make sure the rev limiter is working.


I've hit it many times so I know that it's working Laughing



Wheel studs? Exclamation Laughing


The 1/2 inch studs as also my new lightweight rear brake kit is going in this coming week!! Another 40 lbs weight saving of which 20 lbs will be rotating mass!!

Might use the transbrake for the first time next weekend Very Happy



Good one! Just making sure you're safe. I hate seeing crap hit the fan. Surprised
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knarley Darley
Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Posts: 1247

540238.26 points



PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C3Your wheel studs are fine. Those other failures had to be due to some other problem like the lugnuts were not tight. I have 7/16" studs,mosier 35 spline axles and have been launching at between 6500 and 7000 at 3600 pounds running 1.29 60' with a best so far of 8.74 with a naturally asperated BB on a 30x13.50 E.T. street.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrandSportC3
Moderator


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 1231
Location: Lakeland, FL
32443.62 points


1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
af2 wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
jeep_406 wrote:
If you haven't used it before. It is one kick in the ass. Make sure the rev limiter is working.


I've hit it many times so I know that it's working Laughing



Wheel studs? Exclamation Laughing


The 1/2 inch studs as also my new lightweight rear brake kit is going in this coming week!! Another 40 lbs weight saving of which 20 lbs will be rotating mass!!

Might use the transbrake for the first time next weekend Very Happy



Good one! Just making sure you're safe. I hate seeing crap hit the fan. Surprised


The weakest linik is the tranny itself and the posi.. It is a strong 12-bolt posi but it's not as strong as a spool... If I'll break the posi, it'll be time to go with a spool... What might happen is that I'll just spin the tires... Don't know if they'll give me enough traction for the transbrake..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrandSportC3
Moderator


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 1231
Location: Lakeland, FL
32443.62 points


1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
C3Your wheel studs are fine. Those other failures had to be due to some other problem like the lugnuts were not tight. I have 7/16" studs,mosier 35 spline axles and have been launching at between 6500 and 7000 at 3600 pounds running 1.29 60' with a best so far of 8.74 with a naturally asperated BB on a 30x13.50 E.T. street.


Were those 1.29 60' times off the transbrake??
Also, what's your gearing (first gear and rear gears)?
I have 4.11 gears and a 2.74 first gear on my tranny.. The bigger the first gear, the more shock on the studs...

I'm just worried about the shock.. I never had wheel studs breaking but I've heared from other people that broke them with the transbrake.. I want to be rather safe than sorry. I currently have long Moroso 7/16 studs..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better safe than sorry and hurt is my conclusion! Someone is always lucky out there in my opinion!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrandSportC3
Moderator


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 1231
Location: Lakeland, FL
32443.62 points


1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Better safe than sorry and hurt is my conclusion! Someone is always lucky out there in my opinion!


I like to take risks but not stupid risks.. Good wheel studs are good insurance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knarley Darley
Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Posts: 1247

540238.26 points



PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

486 rear gear 2.48 first gear, transbrake everytime. They will never break!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knarley Darley
Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Posts: 1247

540238.26 points



PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will pick up 1 to 2 tenths by using the trans brake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Home | Contact Us | Automath | Cam Files | Dyno Search | Forum | Garage | Picture Gallery | Reaction Timer

Copyright 1997-2016 SMOKEmUP.com All rights reserved.
Advertising Info     Disclaimer     Privacy Policy