Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Anyone else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 2 LT1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Anyone else? Reply with quote

............here play with the LT1?? This section needs more traffic.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think youre pretty much the resident LT1 guru. the only thing i have done to mine is convert over to DIS... too many flooded streets for the Optispark Sad . although, mine is starting to knock longer and louder when i start it up in the mornings. it has 135K on the motor. i expect to rebuild it before too long. what would be your recomendations for a good solid daily driven street motor ?

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a partslist or to buy a motor?

After losing a rodbearing in september I have a block I am researching rotating assemblies for, likely endup with a Compstar package. It is a lower end Callies full balanced rotating assembly in a box just need a machined block to drop it in. That might be a little higher end than what you want though.

As sort of a "point of interest" I will post a link http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603664 this is heads and cam from the same guys who did mine.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainly looking for a parts list and what can be done to improve the stock heads. i wanted to turbo the car when the motor got rebuilt but if i have to tear it down soon i wont have the funding for a complete rebuild AND turbo setup. my concerns right now are for a N/A motor. if i can get another 30K out of it then it will get a turbo.

i didnt have time to read much on the link but looks like some very good info. thanks.

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with the gen 1 Vortec heads should be able to get a good bit more out of the stock iron heads consider having them modified for screwin studs. Honestly not a lot of guys play with the iron heads since all the porters put their R&D into the aluminum heads from the f-body and Vette. Those who have played with the irons have done decent though resist the urge to go "max effort" though as those who tried have later had them crack in the thin spots created by porting.

On the basic rebuild honestly consider just a rebearing with minimal machining reusing the stock pistons and rings. There will be little bore wear and the stock pistons and rings are pretty good for stock parts.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
On the basic rebuild honestly consider just a rebearing with minimal machining reusing the stock pistons and rings. There will be little bore wear and the stock pistons and rings are pretty good for stock parts.

that might be my best option right now. it would buy me some time until i can do EVERYTHING like i want it Twisted Evil .

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I am doing with my car, yes I lost a rod bearing but a conservative estimate on milage on that motor was over 100K and having been cammed since 65K.

The bores were still so good the pistons pushed out the top easily by hand and this thing been a Wisconsin daily driver even in winter for all but the last few thousand miles. That means dozens of sub-zero starts and 90+degree heat in summer. In january at 5:30am when I leave for work it is often so cold the shocks take a couple miles to loosen up, I am amazed the engines survive it so well it can go weeks barely topping 0F.

My wagon has 204K on it Shocked LT1 in it is going strong yet, last month I took it all the way to the east coast and back.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of oil are you using? i was using Mobil1 but when i started using Royal Purple in my wifes Tacoma i switched the Impala over to that also.

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really exhibit no oil loyalty but do enough research to have a clue as to what is appropriate as opposed to what everyone thinks is. There is a BIG forum that is all lubrication and additives. Results were that M1 5w-30 and 10w-30 were too thin high iron wear in particular, arguably best is Castrol Syntec specifically labled made in Germany it is much thicker and exhibits much lower wear numbers than the M1s.

In the last year or so the Mobil oils have been thickening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 2 LT1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: