Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Chassis Problems 79 Camaro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffejoy

574.28 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Chassis Problems 79 Camaro Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a 1979 Camaro with only 66K originally miles. It is a really slick car, however... For some reason the front suspension sits why to high. My first thought was that the original coil springs got weak at some time as these car have this tendency and someone put some junk yard or otherwise springs in it that were not correct. So I went to the local Car Quest Auto parts store and bought new springs (special order) for this car.

My problem is still there. I almost never got the new coil springs in they were so incredibly tight I had to have a second person and a large pry bar to get them into place. Once the lower A frames were reassembled and the car was put back down on the ground there was no change. The rubber stopper on the upper A frame is being smashed against the sub frame. This creates a second problem, lack of clearance for the front wheels. Because the front end sits so high the widest part of the tire is in the smallest part of the wheel well. When you make a tight turn left or right the tires rub the inner fender well.

Besides looking stupid the ride and handling quality stinks. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this problem. I am to the point where I am about ready to heat the coils to drop the front end. I feel like this might be a little on the drastic side, but no other solutions come to mind.

Thanks
Jeff
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like youre the second person to install the wrong springs. unfortunately theres no such thing as a "parts man" anymore. just some guy that pecks at a keyboard and happens to work at a parts store.

new springs will cause the car to sit slightly higher and will "settle" after a few days. your condition sounds excessive. since you have to remove the springs to fix the problem, i suggest returning them for a refund and cut a LITTLE off of your old springs. DONT HEAT THE COILS!!! just trim off 1/2 coil at a time, install the spring and re-check ride height. remember, the springs will settle after a few days so dont cut off too much. would be a good idea to buy a coil spring compressor. they are not expensive and make the job much easier and safer.

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you heat the coils you loose the spring tensile and they will keep sagging until they find the part that didn't get hot enough to loose all of it. Then they will sag more during the time until they reach the part that was not affected by the heat at all!!!! Cutting them with a friction saw is the ONLY way to do it. As 10 sec said, get you're money back and use the springs you removed. I would start by cutting 1 full coil at first just because they need it then go 1/2 coil at a time until the desired height is obtained.
jeffejoy

574.28 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Spring Problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I happen to know the guy at my parts counter. As a whole I would agree with you but this guy is a fellow gear head and restores cars at his home after hours, not saying he could have made a mistake. I will avoid heating the springs. Cutting off a coil sounds easier anyway. Still it seems strange that the springs I took out and the new springs I installed look very similar. The diameter of the new spring in the new coil (the wire itself not the outside diameter) was smaller and I thought this would solve my problem.

Thanks for the help.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem lies on the height. The old TRW books were the best because they had a free height to go by. You could lower or raise from that #. Any more you are stuck with no comparison!!!! Pisses me off Twisted Evil Any more is by the car!!!!!!!
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i think the best solution is to install a big block Twisted Evil

jeffejoy

574.28 points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Coil Springs Reply with quote

Give me a big block and I will put it in. The money tree at my house died last week.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was being facetious Rolling Eyes

beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
actually i think the best solution is to install a big block Twisted Evil

Laughing Laughing Great Idea!!!!
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Springs Reply with quote

jeffejoy wrote:
Give me a big block and I will put it in. The money tree at my house died last week.

Laughing Mine died at the track on my first go! I had to borrow from the neighbors when they were sleeping. Shocked
Just kidding I got lucky and landed a good job for the week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: