Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Lunati timing marks wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrnln

214.98 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Lunati timing marks wrong? Reply with quote

First time here, hope to make some new friends.
I am working on a neighbors old chevy 1 ton. New lunati cam, lifters and gears. The problem I'm having is when I align the cam gear at 6 and the crank gear at 12, I am 180 degrees off. All the chevrolets I've ever worked on use this alignment. Is lunati just different or am I doing somethinh wrong.
Just to clarify myself, with this alignment, The #1 piston is not on tdc, when I crank the engine over by hand just before 180 deg. I feel the #1 cylinder pressure up. Are there any chevrolets you guys know of that align the cam gear at 12oclock and the crank at 12 oclock.
Thanks in advance for any help
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lunati timing marks wrong? Reply with quote

Adrnln wrote:
I am working on a neighbors old chevy 1 ton. New lunati cam, lifters and gears. The problem I'm having is when I align the cam gear at 6 and the crank gear at 12, I am 180 degrees off. All the chevrolets I've ever worked on use this alignment. Is lunati just different or am I doing somethinh wrong.
Just to clarify myself, with this alignment, The #1 piston is not on tdc, when I crank the engine over by hand just before 180 deg. I feel the #1 cylinder pressure up. Are there any chevrolets you guys know of that align the cam gear at 12oclock and the crank at 12 oclock.

Should be cam at 12 and crank at 12 at #1 tdc or lined up at #6 tdc.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lunati timing marks wrong? Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Adrnln wrote:

Should be cam at 12 and crank at 12 at #1 tdc or lined up at #6 tdc.

i think its Fords that are TDC with cam and crank gears "dot to dot".

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you think you are 180* off? Even if you put the timing marks both at the 12 o'clock postion, if you turn the crank one revolution, then the cam should be at 6 o'clock with the crank back at 12 o'clock due to the 2:1 reduction. Dot to dot should work but I think the dot to dot postion usually puts #1 in the overlap position (exhaust closing / intake opening) and not the compression stroke which may be confusing you. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
How do you think you are 180* off? Even if you put the timing marks both at the 12 o'clock postion, if you turn the crank one revolution, then the cam should be at 6 o'clock with the crank back at 12 o'clock due to the 2:1 reduction. Dot to dot should work but I think the dot to dot postion usually puts #1 in the overlap position (exhaust closing / intake opening) and not the compression stroke which may be confusing you. Clay

Clay, Exactly true which means #6 is tdc on the compression stroke with the marks dot to dot.
Adrnln

214.98 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both valves move almost immediately depending on which way you turn the crank. So, I learned something today, I think. I was under the impression that when you have the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke at TDC that the marks on the cam and crank gear would be at 6 and 12 oclock. So...I am wrong.
You have eased my mind. I spent two days trying to figure what was wrong. I initially just installed the parts and was in the process of running the valves one cylinder at a time when I noticed what I thought was a problem. So I am good to continue the installation.
THANKS, to all who replied to my post, I appreciate your imput.
Allen
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we could help! Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: