Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

getting tired if new problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: getting tired if new problems Reply with quote

well heres the story. lately my cars been skipping a cylinder, but im not sure which one. net every cycle, but you can easily tell once in a while when its at a smooth rpm, it does a slight fart. and if your watching the motor while its running, it does a quick shake when it farts. ive checked and tested all of the plugs, and they are all fine. heres the only changes made recently. like a week ago i tightened a loose rocker only about a 1/4 turn to tighten it up. but heres the real change, i needed my old mans truck to pull the lawn equipment. he brought it home at 6 o clock,. i took it after that and went into town. every time strain was put on the motor liks going up hill, i would clearly here it pinging. this was knew because i mentioned it pinging before, but i had already backed off the timing so it owuldnt do it anymore. well i get back to my house and tell my dad what it was doing, and then asked him what gas he put in it. well he did put in 89, so i went and filled it with 93 and the pinging stopped. im not sure if it started skipping a cylinder after i adjusted a valve or after it was pinging a lot. what is more likely to be the issue? after seeing that the plugs were clean, i was thinking of doing a compression test, and seeing what that says. what do any of you think. thanks for any help.

oh and by the way, its gas mileage has seemed to decrease and it lost a lot of power. the exhaust gas is crystal clear.

87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well vapor does puff out of my oil filler hole so one of the rockers must of been over tightened so im going to re adjsut them. my only further question is after i get them to stop wiggling and ticking, to i give it half a turn or 1/4 of a turn?
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
well vapor does puff out of my oil filler hole so one of the rockers must of been over tightened so im going to re adjsut them. my only further question is after i get them to stop wiggling and ticking, to i give it half a turn or 1/4 of a turn?

1/4 turn, Still not going to fix the problem!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with af2, I don't think it is your problem, but since it is something that was changed recently, absolutely check on it - way simplier things have beat my but. When you say vapor puffing, does is seem to be a fairly constant stream or just seem to puff when one particular cylinder fires? A little bit coming out steadily isn't really any big deal, a lot coming out steadily is not real good, but a very distinguishable single puff that stands out from the rest is pretty much always a baaadddd thing (ask me how I know - it involved greed and stupidity). If the lifter adjustment checks out to be a dead end, then look for a plug / wire / cap next, then I would do a compression / leakdown test - whichever one you have access to. Good luck, Clay.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea its definitely one single puff what that cylinder comes around. i actually did re adjust that entire side 2day because i wasnt sure which cylinder it was. jsut loostened them up so they could barely wiggle, fired it up, and slowly tightened them until they couldnt wiggle or stopped ticking, then slowly gave each one a 1/4 turn. it didnt fix it right away, but i went around the block, keeping the motor at a steady 3500 rpm, and when i got home it was not doing it anymore. i brought my timing back to its good advance, and there was no pinging or any vibrations. running pretty good i must say. i think i got off easy this time. i did want to cancel out the probability of a lot of water in the gas, so i filled it with fresh 93 previously. thanks though i wasnt sure if it was a half a turn or 1/4 turn.

i would hope to get a leakdown tool in my hand soon. its doing pretty good but its always good to know what your working with. ide hate to buy brand new heads and realize i didnt make any more power because my ring langs are hurting.

Last edited by 87IrocTim on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:

The worst thing you can do is have a 0 lash! The keepers in the lifter will say good by as you already witnessed. Therefore I would run 1/2 just to make sure. 1/4 you are in the thin zone.
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt this the same cam that had a busted lifter..

did you only replace one lifter? use a new lifter/lifters on a used cam??

do not over tighten your rockers! be shure that the cam is on the back side of the lobe of each valve when the adjustment is made. if you bring it to TDC on some of the bigger duration cams you will find that your intake might have just closed leaving some more adjustment to be had at the rocker with a little more rotation of the crank....

87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rockers all have 1/2 a turn. and only one lifter was replaced, but over the winter im getting a new cam and lifter kit anyways, along with new pushrods and comp cams steel roller rockers. that all depends on how good the money is coming in with the tiling business. i did not adjsut any valves while the lobe was pushing on one. and yea this is the same cam the lifter broke on. another thing is when all the lifters were checked, they were all in brand new condition showing no signs of wear. for a cam i plan on going with the same thing thats in it now. after doing some research im pretty sure its a comp cams 280h, but ill find out for sure which one it is when its taken out. if its not a 280h for any reason, then ill probably end up getting the 280h.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep a good eye on that loosening issue. Sounds like it is an Intake. Could be a lobe going away.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive gto a question for you. where is the air that pushes out of the filler hole coming from? is it ocming right through the valve seal or the oil drain holes?
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
ive gto a question for you. where is the air that pushes out of the filler hole coming from? is it ocming right through the valve seal or the oil drain holes?

Could be either. Get the tool and you will see in a moment where it is coming from! I am going to PM you also!
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i took it around town and let it heat up nice and warm, got it home, and checked the oil filler hole while it was running obviously. i finally adjusted all the valves right, the motor runs smooth, has a nice smooth idle and runs awsome. but, there was a constant white vapor coming out of the filler hole. it wasn't a quick puff, it was more of a constant flow. anything i should be worried about or is it showing some old age or what?
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
ok so i took it around town and let it heat up nice and warm, got it home, and checked the oil filler hole while it was running obviously. i finally adjusted all the valves right, the motor runs smooth, has a nice smooth idle and runs awsome. but, there was a constant white vapor coming out of the filler hole. it wasn't a quick puff, it was more of a constant flow. anything i should be worried about or is it showing some old age or what?

When you get a leak down tester you will find the reason. Sounds like rings but is impossible to tell from my computer. Confused Good spelling though it helps a bunch on the read!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constant flow isn't a big deal unless it is a lot of blowby. It just means that the motor has a little wear. I was worried when you said one distinct puff, which can point to a cracked piston or broken ring. Do a leak down whenever you can and don't worry about it. Clay
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small puff is normal. Could be moisture burning off. Water is a bi-products of combustion. Some moisture also builds up during the heating and cooling of the engine. If you run the engine a good bit, the moisture evaporates. Are you running a PCV or some other kind of crank case vacuum? If not, you might want to consider it. Crank case pressure can cause hard to get to oil leaks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: