Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

running into issues with advanced timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: running into issues with advanced timing Reply with quote

well i could tell my car was not very advanced because of how it started up. it would take no effort for the starter to turn it over and it would wind all the way up until the motor would fire. so i turned it counterclockwise, facing the vacuum canisters towards the front of the engine, and it fired up as i would like it to, the starter struggling for a second. well when i took the car around the block, it ran ok and all, but upon half way hard acceleration, i would hear a ticking that sounded like valves slapping the head pretty damn hard. it was jsut a ticking that you can clearly hear upon hard acceleration. so i backed off the advance a little, and took another ride. it definitely ticked less, but it still was ticking. so i basically tweaked it until i finally got the most advance without the ticking. the starter motor once again can easily turn the motor. my question is what is this ticking? i would love to advance my timing considerably but im certainly not driving around with this noise coming from my engine.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called pinging or pre detonation. You need to find out what the total timing is after 2500 RPM. You need an adjustable timing light if you don't have degree marks on the balancer. Should be in the 38 degree range.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thats not a problem ive got the tools to do that. i would of thought pre detonation would be more dramatic then that. like a hard vibration or banging. well anyways it is at a good point right now and it doesnt ping what so ever. ill get on top of this but i dont think its very far advanced. it sure is pinging very easily but i wont be able to tell until i know my exact degree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: