Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Looking for some small block help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little305

215.30 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Looking for some small block help Reply with quote

I'm building up an 88 305 out of a Classic Caprice (going to be shoehorned into a 82 S10) and I wanted to ask around to see what the best type of build would be for this application. I plan on using my truck for booting around town, the odd drag race, mostly hauling motorcycles and junk. I want a fun truck, one that will smokemup with ease. I've found a 334 stroker kit through rpmmachine.com (http://www.rpmmachine.com/305-chevrolet-stroker-sb.shtml) that looks kind of like what I want to get into, I want to do an easy build, I'd like to get the stroker kit and then match it with an eledbrock performance package (Idle-5500rpm)
Can anyone give me some info regarding what I want to do and if it's a wise combination? Any help would rock, thanks guys and gals!
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With out saying you will not enjoy the efforts of your build, there are better bases from which to start. For the same effort and cash you will get more bang for the buck with a 350 based engine than the 305 because of the difference in the bore size (both share the same crank).

The most bang for your buck would be to purchase a 383 short block from GMPP and build it as you budget allows. All of the bits and pieces except induction from the 305 (because of the difference in displacement) will bolt on and give you a smooth fun filled ride that will do most anything you ask of it (except provide the mileage of an under 3 liter motor).

Also recommend you buy a copy of JTR publishing's "Chevrolet S-10 Truck V-8 Conversion Manual" from their v8s10.com web site before you go any further. It is a blow by blow How To with every part you need documented, with photo's and alternative sources for hard to find parts. It will save you more that the price of the book many times over.

Big Dave
little305

215.30 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: But I love my 305!! Reply with quote

I really want to stick to the 305 I have, it's got sentimental value, maybe I should forget the stroke kit and just go with a standard bottom end rebuild and add a performace set of heads and intake system. What can one do to a 305 to give it a little more spunk?
bmwmechanico

337.06 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Looking for some Small Block Help Reply with quote

Hi, I would agree, sentiment can make you run slower, I would opt for a 350 with a 383 stroker kit-probly cheaper than the 334 kit and will make more hp and torque. no subsitute for cubic inches except twin turbos or something like that. Even a stock new stock Mr Goodwrench 350 would be better, there are several magazine articles in either Super Chevy or Car Craft I believe where they took a stock Mr Goodwrench crate engine- which you can but new for approx $1250 and comes with a 3 Yr, 50,000 mile warr, and the magazine made several changes on the dyno and it made exceptional Power for the money.. Think about it, you can always put the 305 in your living room and make a coffee table out of it for sentimental reasons. Put the bigger engine where it can do some good. Thanks
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

305's are tough. They don't have enough cylinder volume to make any decent compression with most aftermarket heads. They mostly have larger chambers than the stock 305 heads, so that sucks. I would either A: Do a basic rebuild and add small tube headers, decent dual plane intake and carb, and a small cam. This way if you wanted to do a 350 later on, all of this stuff would bolt right on and it wouldn't be wasted money. B: I'm going to be 96capriceMGR here - go to the junkyard or pick a part and get a late model Vortec 350. Good heads, hydraulic roller. Add intake (different from the "A" combo) and headers (same from "A" combo) and ride. You could probably find one for $500 or so with around 80,000 - 100,000 which isn't much with the way engines last these days. Good luck with whatever you do. Clay
little305

215.30 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Dig Holes Reply with quote

I like plan B

Can you elaborate a little on the parts you recommend I use?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt one for my cousin. It was a 99 Vortec I believe. I used the factory cam, factory style pistons, Performer intake, Heddman headers (1 5/8" primaries), 600 Edelbrock carb, HEI distributor and Dynomax mufflers. It was pretty impressive for basically a stock motor. His truck had 33" or 35" tires and it would lay a single mark for 3 or 4 truck lengths with no gear and stock converter (maybe a 3.08 or so) and pulled good through the rpm range. It had a 700R4 which helped with the start some, but still really torquey. One thing that was good - when I put the bottom end together, it was by far the easiest engine to turn I have ever done. I had all of the pistons in and I could still turn it by hand by the counterweights. Keep in mind this wasn't anything fancy like low tension oil rings, special hone job, coated pistons, etc. - just a stock rebuild. I picked the parts for his based on the tall tired 4WD senario and going for torque primarily - in a S-10 you can get a little more wild with camshaft and probably a RPM Airgap and a larger Holley carb. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 305 Vortec heads are the best thing to do to that motor! They have the smaller valves and the smaller chamber to go with it and still flow better than any other 305 made.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i built a performance 305 once (only once). i like plan "B". the Vortec 350 will be cheaper and easier to get the power you want. the Vortec 350 is practically indestructible. those things , if well maintained, will easily go 200K. ive seen a couple at 300K (highway miles of course).

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injection is a HUGE part of why engines these days last like they do. Much better fueling consistency cylinder to cylinder and better AFR control at all times, startup being the time it matters most for wear. A carb is likely to some degree to wash the oil off the cylinder walls with exess fuel.

Not saying the Vortecs a bad motors atall just saying it is more than parts and machining the need credit for their longevity.
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the 305 crank and rods would fit into a stock 350 block. All you would need to do is replace the block/pistons/camshaft.
Do you intend to run the stock heads? If so, I think that is a mistake.
305 heads are notoriously thin and the flow potential is very poor.
techie

335.98 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I feel the need to throw a monkey wrench in the works....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1494.html

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/325_horsepower_305_cid_chevrolet.html

http://www.hioutput.com/tech/343hp/343hp.html

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/290hp305.html

http://www.hioutput.com/tech/400hp/400hp.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: