Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

400 cid sb chevy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violator423

599.58 points

1978 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt get a chance to pull the heads today worked crazy long hours but i did get some numbers off the block and heads the numbers i pulled of the heads comes back to 350cid heads this is starting to scare me i was told the only way to put 350 heads on a 400 is to have the steam jackets drilled and some other stuff but i dunno. ill have to pull this thing apart somemore to find out what this beast of a engine really has inside.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

violator423 wrote:
didnt get a chance to pull the heads today worked crazy long hours but i did get some numbers off the block and heads the numbers i pulled of the heads comes back to 350cid heads this is starting to scare me i was told the only way to put 350 heads on a 400 is to have the steam jackets drilled and some other stuff but i dunno. ill have to pull this thing apart somemore to find out what this beast of a engine really has inside.

On the street you will need the holes drilled in the heads to let any steam pockets not be there. Racing only there is no need above 3000 rpm with a mechanical water pump. I am finding with my electric pump I might have to drill the holes.
violator423

599.58 points

1978 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok good news and some bad news
good news is that i pulled the heads wich are 350 heads and the steam holes are drilled and the pistons are .30 over wich makes this a 406 i belive. and this engine hasnt been run much since the rebuild.

bad news is that one of the cylinders has some surface build up but im gonna try and clean up the bores a little when i get the chance at work. if i cant do it myself i will send it out and have it professionaly done no biggie im a desiel mechanic so we get all kinds of deals on parts and diffrent services.

i gotta take pics at work and post some. so guys what ya think?? worth 500 bucks?
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

violator423 wrote:
ok good news and some bad news
good news is that i pulled the heads wich are 350 heads and the steam holes are drilled and the pistons are .30 over wich makes this a 406 i belive. and this engine hasnt been run much since the rebuild.

bad news is that one of the cylinders has some surface build up but im gonna try and clean up the bores a little when i get the chance at work. if i cant do it myself i will send it out and have it professionaly done no biggie im a desiel mechanic so we get all kinds of deals on parts and diffrent services.

i gotta take pics at work and post some. so guys what ya think?? worth 500 bucks?

Not trying to be mean, What the hell is surface build up? Sounds like a POS in my opinion which doesn't count for whatever!
violator423

599.58 points

1978 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok let me put it like this this motor sat for a while.... you know how the old crud and crap hardens that my man is what i mean by surface build up. like i said this is my first engine project so dont go shooting down my dreams remeber not eveyone has 6 grand laying around to dump into a engine this is my winter project for my impala not a 9 sec drag strip racer period point blank

ps one man trash is anothers treasure Wink
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

violator423 wrote:
ok let me put it like this this motor sat for a while.... you know how the old crud and crap hardens that my man is what i mean by surface build up. like i said this is my first engine project so dont go shooting down my dreams remeber not eveyone has 6 grand laying around to dump into a engine this is my winter project for my impala not a 9 sec drag strip racer period point blank

ps one man trash is anothers treasure Wink

as long as the cylinder walls arent pitted i wouldnt worry about it. ive seen some pretty ugly shit in some cylinders that cleaned up and ran good. its always iffy on a motor thats been sitting for a while. the guys here arent trying to tell you to build a pro stock car, just that you should be aware that if you overlook something potentially disastrous you may be setting yourself up for failure. post some pics so we can take a look and stop assuming.

violator423

599.58 points

1978 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see where your coming from today i had a rough day at work so i didn't have anytime to take pics. the guy that works with me builds and races dirt oval. and he has built some monster engines plus hes a older guy so he has the knowledge. today i did buy a cylinder hone to smooth out the bores a little and just like i though just surface buildup no pits thank god the cylinders cleaned right up and look nice and smooth so im not as worried as i was two days ago plus if the motor was run hard the markings on the pistons would be worn and there not so thats a plus. like i said im gonna take my time and do it right. tomorrow i will be painting my impala and will post some pics as soon as i finish it color is a candy blue Wink

thanks to everyone that has given advise i may not look like im listening but im soaking up everything that how i learn again thanks tone
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the piston clearance is close! 2.0 thousandths max on a stock piston. That is probably too much! Just be thorough.
violator423

599.58 points

1978 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the clearance is fine lloyd (coworking i keep talking about) said there is plenty of room the pistons are .030 over. i cant stock thinking about the engine and the paint im not sure what i like more lol i havent even put fuel to this motor yet and im starting to hate the 305 that in the implala more and more eveyday i i havent driving it in about 2 weeks

ps are you talking head clearance or between the cyl walls and the piston and rings i lost myself with my rambling
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ps are you talking head clearance or between the cyl walls and the piston and rings

since you mentioned honing, im pretty sure hes talking about cylinder wall clearance. measure at the skirts not at the ring lands.

violator423

599.58 points

1978 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just wanted to deglaze the surface a lil casue there was crud on the walls i didnt go deep just a couple of light pass's to clean them up a bit
violator423

599.58 points

1978 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yesterday was a great day got my car to a good friends garage and we finshed the minor touch up body work and painted my impala nice candy blue with pink pearl gonna look sick when the sunlight hits it. ill post pics when i resize them damn pixels lol have a great day tone
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go violate the thing and give us an ET.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: