Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

LS1 Tuning with HPTuners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: LS1 Tuning with HPTuners Reply with quote

I'll use this thread to document my tuning experience with HPTuners.

Changes to the car:
Engine:
- Heads (TEA CNC ported LS6 )
- Cam (MTI B1 221/221 114 LSA)
- 160 T- stat
- UD pulley
- Stock exhaust (other than using a wideband O2 for the front O2)

Transmission
- TCI 3000 Torque converter.

Wideband Install:
The wideband I'm using is the Zeitronix unit. The reason I picked this unit is it's has a simulated narrowband output, wideband output, Serial datalogging, rpm input (no adapter required), TPS input, Boost input, EGT input, and a user output. I plan to run this as a permanent install. I used the old stock O2 sensor and cut off the connector. I used the switched +5V source, ECM ground, and O2 input to the ECM. The O2 is installed on the passenger side front O2 on the stock cat. The wiring follows the transmission lines to the transmission cross member crossing over to the driver side, under the fuel line heat shield to a rubber grommet beneath the drivers side seat (cut a small X in the grommet and pulled the wires through), under the carpet inside the cabin to the final destination of the Zeitronix controller, on top of the transmission tunnel behind the center console, right next to the HP tuners interface. This will allow me access to the data port and connections if needed.

Next steps are to:
Disable Torque Management
Fan on/off settings for the new T-stat
Idle Tuning
VE Tuning light load
VE Tuning WOT
Timing settings (Eliminate Knock)
Transmission Tuning
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to drive the car and do some datalogging. Using the wideband I can easily see the car is running lean due to the added airflow from the heads and cam. In general the car feels much stronger.
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lean is leaner? Cuz alot of people lean the hell outta there cars compared to factory... Goood to hear it's feeling strong!!
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you believe the LTFT 's they are all averaging about 10 across the board.

I plan to take richen up the whole VE table by 10%, disconnect the MAF (force speed density mode), copy low octane timing table to high octane table, reset the fuel trims, and go for a ride while logging with the wide band. Then adjust the VE from the datalogs, and repeat until all looks good.

One thing I was a little worried about was detonation since I increased the compression ratio from 10.25 to 10.87 . Smaller chamber and thinner head gasket. So far the car is running with less KR (knock retard) than it did with the stock setup. Very Happy
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quench and some nice looking chambers are a beautiful thing. I seriously wanna see what your shit runs at the 1320 now, should friggen fly! I like the way your plan sounds, just go slow and steady.... cuz I really don't wanna see a thread that starts off with "so I was tuning the other day, and I think I got a lil carried away........ " On that note, most people seem to shoot for 12.7~13:1 as an afr... unless they pimp boost, then it's like 11.5:1... but since you're N/a, that doesn't apply... annywho... You're computer have the lean cruise mode in it?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the computer has lean cruise in it. Looking at the settings it appears it's not enabled.

I made a tuning trip up to see Paul_P while doing some logging. Initially I added way too much fuel to the VE table. I was running around 10:1 air fuel's in some places. After that drive out log, I modified the table VE table per the histogram using the air fuel error. The table cleaned up real nice. The car is still running a little rich, around 12.0:1 but I'm slowly dialing it in.

I couldn't resist and made some WOT datalogs. No signs of KR and the air fuel was around 12.2:1 .

I didn't do any WOT to redline but I will soon. I need to ensure that I have enough injector, duty cycle isn't too high.
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12.2, that's not to far off.... You still running the stock injectors? I see a lotta of people just throw 42 pounders at there car so they have "some" room to grow, seems like a good theory, cuz we all know how fast is never fast enough.......
Do you still have Cats on the car? You should try playing around with lean cruise, all you should have to do is change the mph it engages at, and the throttle setting, Everyone says they gain 2mpg or so on the highway with that, but that it burns out cats, But I've never ran a car with those things anyway... so I've never had a second thought as to whether I wanted to turn it on when the time comes........

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still running the stock injectors. That's one of the things on my 2 do list is to see what the duty cyle climbs up to. My car is an 02 so it has the bigger injectors 28.8 lb/hr. Money is really tight and I'd rather not spend it if I don't have too.

The exhaust on the car is completely stock. Stock manifolds, stock cats, stock cat back (non SS).

I need to read up on lean cruise a little more,
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things. The injectors are too small. I did a couple WOT passes and the duty cycle is above 90%.

Also the COT I think is part of the problem with my commanded air fuel ratio problems. I'm running a speed density tune and it's pretty close but in some places the car is around 11.7 A/F ratio. This is what the computer is commanding even though the PE is set for 12.8 A/F. I disabled the COT and now the car is running lean.

The other issue I'm having is some surging at low rpm's. The car idles fine but if you transition back to idle it takes some time to settle down.

Before I disabled the COT I did some WOT throttle runs and the car pulls light years better than what it did. Can't wait to take the car to the track.
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your car is turning out to be quite a fun thing. You have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? If so, you could bandaid the too small injectors Big Grin just run like... oh, 75 psi Laughing but that would be... well, just a completely wrong way to go about things... but the extra 7% flow would probably do you good. How long is it till you head up to the check... I'm really curious on this one... I'm really hoping you run at least low 12's... that will give me hope for my project.. and help settle my inner arguement of whether after market heads are needed....
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max duty cycle is 95% so far. But the result was an 11.7 A/F ratio. If I can figure out how to lean this thing out I can get by for a while.

I have 30lb injectors on my 79Z28 which I'm thinking of swapping them. But then I have to re-tune again. For now I want to figure out why I'm getting the commanded A/F I'm getting. After disabling COT the car is running too lean IMO.

I will be really disappointed if the car doesn't run well. The ass dyno feels the car is much stronger. Screwing around on the street when manually shifting the car from 1st to 2nd I hit the rev limiter to easy (which I increased to 6400 rpm). Provided the car hooks I think it should run 11s (but you never know).
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still fighting the tuning. For the most part the VE table is dialed in. It's running around 12.7:1 then leans out a little to 12.9:1. I'm having two problems with the tune. I can't get it to stop surging around idle. It's the damn VE table in the low rpm range. I've messed with the timing and got that to stop bouncing around. Now If I can just get the VE dialed in around idle. The other issue is I keep bouncing off the rev limiter when going WOT.

Regardless I took it out for a G-tech run. The results were pretty good all things considered. I was only able to do one run since not too many open roads around where I live. First I spun too much in first, hit the rev limiter on 1-2 shift, and then rev limiter really bad on the 2-3 shift (had to get off it and back on it).

The results:
0-60 - 4.40 seconds
ET - 12.65
MPH - 110.5 mph.

It's been so long since I used the G-Tech (btw... it's the original G-Tech), I checked an old time slip, G-tech vs the track timers. The G-tech was slower by 0.6 seconds and 3 mph. Based on how much it spun and bouncing off the rev limiter I should be able to knock off at least 0.2 seconds off that. Therefore in my perfect world the car might run an 11.8 @ 114 mph (it's nice to dream).
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouncing off the rev limiter? that doesn't seem to good, which do you think you should do, raise the limiter, or lower the shifts? Now, the thought of 11's. Awesome.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shift points are set at 6200 rpm and rev limiter at 6400 rpm. I need to double check the transmission settings. I'm pretty sure it's configured correctly and the computer is lagging behind a little on the shift. The one thing I didn't change was the shift time in the trans. I'll mess with that and bump the rev limiter up to 6500 rpm. Hopefully that will cure the shifting problems.

I'll be pumped if the car runs 11's. This will be on stock exhaust, manifolds, catted Y, and non SS cat back. It idles really well and is mouse quiet (definitely a sleeper), should catch a lot of race cars off guard at the track. I'm going to see if the Tech guys buy that it's a 14 second car line secret . It's still too early to tell and I don't want to be too optimistic. The car has a bunch more power, that's for sure. With an exhaust, FAST 90/90, skinnies up front, sway bar removal, and slicks the car will run deep into the 11's. But I want to see how it runs in true street trim, hopefully this Saturday I'll let you know.

For now just trying to sort out the tuning issues.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made similar claims at the track to get in, and I think they really want your money, 'cause I always get in claiming 15 second sled. Don't get to stay long, but I've at least made one pass before they toss me.

Do you have a memory tach? It will tell you what you are twisting and is more accurate than the weights and spring set in the tranny's governor (besides weight holes become elliptical with time and springs stretch with repeated use).

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: