Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Valve Spring Compressor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Valve Spring Compressor Reply with quote

Guess I'll be the first to post here. Anyone have first hand experience with the tool to swap out the valve springs with the heads on the car, in particular a BBC? I have used a few years ago with mixed reviews and like everything else, there seems to more to choose from now and I want to get the best one the first time.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Spring Compressor Reply with quote

beersngars wrote:
Guess I'll be the first to post here. Anyone have first hand experience with the tool to swap out the valve springs with the heads on the car, in particular a BBC? I have used a few years ago with mixed reviews and like everything else, there seems to more to choose from now and I want to get the best one the first time.

I have had the Snap on tool for about 25 years and like it better than the others I tried. Very simple and easy even with the 145 lbs seat pressure I ran on my 431. The # is S6121 it is the same price I bought mine for $25.00. They call it a depressor?
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adam, that looks like it would work well. I used to have one that used a large knob and screwed down, looked more like a puller and it was a pain to get the keepers in and out. Now wheres that big red and white truck when ya need it?
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beersngars wrote:
Thanks Adam, that looks like it would work well. I used to have one that used a large knob and screwed down, looked more like a puller and it was a pain to get the keepers in and out. Now wheres that big red and white truck when ya need it?

You can order it on line. I kept the page for once!http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=11723&group_ID=1576&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Hope it helps.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi13.html#3271 the 3271 on my car this is compact enough to get back under the cowl and under the wiper motor. this keeps them compressed without any effort by you so if you have trouble with the locks your arm doesn't get tired while you fight. I also like how you can pull it up and seat the locks before you eve begin to release tension on the spring.
The springs I have installed with it range from 110-143lbs on the seat.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi13.html#3271 the 3271 on my car this is compact enough to get back under the cowl and under the wiper motor. this keeps them compressed without any effort by you so if you have trouble with the locks your arm doesn't get tired while you fight. I also like how you can pull it up and seat the locks before you eve begin to release tension on the spring.

i used that same one for years. i use a magnet to install and remove the keepers. however, if you have room the lever type are much quicker. unfortunately i dont work on anything that will allow that type of spring compressor.

artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec is right, if you have room for the lever type they are the best.
If not, then you have to use the screw type. I hate using the screw type because the keepers are harder to remove and reinstall. Unfortunately, in close quarters they are the only way.

I have this one:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi13.html#912

You can get a cheap copy (along with a fitting to pump up the cylinder) for about 7 bucks from Harbor Freight or Workshop tools. It is pretty hard to damage even a cheap one.

If money is not an issue, the Snap-on AF2 linked is a great option.

A tip.. once you have the cylinder pumped up and both rockers off, a light tap with a small hammer on the outer edge of the retainer helps to free things up when you compress the spring. Don't get crazy, just enough to feel a bounce. Sometimes the locks stick to the retainers and it takes a bit of force to get them free.

Art
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep meaning to buy a decent lever, I bought a cheap one and it does not work well. I am currently using beehive springs and the opening on my cheap lever is so wide the beehive retainer wants to slip and get cocked in there.

I am lucky on the LT1 bring the cylinder to TDC and the valve will fall less than a 1/4" no playing with air or any of that BS just let the vale go to the piston. REALLY have to pay attention to crank position though.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Moroso 62370 unit it can compress any Gorilla spring you have. It is a lever type and you need the room for one of these as mentioned in previous posts. This is for 3/8" or 7/16" studs. There is a conversion kit for the shaft mounted Jesel's 62372 so when I go with the Dart 17s and Jesels I just have to by the kit. I think it might be a better than the Snap-On. It is a well built tool, costs more that is for sure and it is adjustable.

Link to Moroso catalog:
http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=27035

Link to Tool in Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR%2D62370&N=700+400105+4294925139+115&autoview=sku

Link to Conversion Kit for shaft rockers Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D62372&N=700+400105+4294925139+115&autoview=sku

I also have one of those K-D tool little crank ones with the hooks that does the trick when I don't have the space. They do kind of suck but if you are careful they can do the job too.
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:

This is the one I have now. PITA to get the keepers in and out. The Moroso looks great as it apears to cam over and hold the spring compressed. On the other hand, the Snap-On would work well with a second guy on the job. Knowing myself, I'll end up with both cause I'm a tool-a-holic. Embarassed
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I did for the lever style was make a 90* handle. This helps tremendously where space is limited around the AC box or master cylinder. Clay
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an old Crane model 99417 Lever Spring Compressor for on the head replacement, and an air powered one for when the heads are off. I used to try and wrestle with the lever type on the head stand assembling springs but it would tend to get violent with me chasing the head round the bench top. The normal C-clamp type spring compressors were too flimsy for the spring pressures I was running and would cock sideways on me; which is why I tried the lever type which does work if the head stays put. Got tired of that and bought a professional air powered one and it makes life so simple I'm more inclined to pull the head than try and replace a spring on the motor.

Besides I'm paranoid about dropping the valve into the motor, even though the valves are quite large in diameter and with a 120 psi air in the cylinder can resist 498.5 pounds of downward force on the intake valve (333 pounds on exhaust); I still fret about accidentally pushing one in while I'm beating on them.

Big Dave
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beersngars wrote:
96capriceMGR wrote:

This is the one I have now. PITA to get the keepers in and out. The Moroso looks great as it apears to cam over and hold the spring compressed. On the other hand, the Snap-On would work well with a second guy on the job. Knowing myself, I'll end up with both cause I'm a tool-a-holic. Embarassed

You have sausage fingers or what? Razz I have no problem not even with 10 degree hardware.
Dave are you jealous of those of us who just let the valve hit the piston Very Happy , I have never had to deal with compressed air to hold valves up, does seem like it would be a major PITA probably looking at pulling headers at least on most cars to ge ttrhe airline in.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean your front end doesn't come off for PM?
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a daily driver that kicks some ass at the strip not a racecar that sees some street time. Approaching 5K miles since I did the heads and cam late april Shocked will put an easy 250miles on it tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: