Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Head cam swap done.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Head cam swap done. Reply with quote

Went of to Paul_P's house for the head cam swap and we started approx 9:00 am and didn't finish until 10:00 am the next day, we worked through the night with no sleep. I'm totally burnt and my whole body hurts, why do we do this again?

I want to say a big thanks to Paul_P for all the help, U da man!
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is hardcore, you drive it yet?
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..??!! Do tell!!

Did you drive home in a permanent wheel stand or what!!??
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the girls --- no wait, for the glory --- no wait, for the trophy --- no wait, I dunno (but really I do). Good going. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of those things where we were both very tired and accomplished something and then though the rest would go together quick so we kept going and going and going until it was better to finish.

The car runs and I drove it home. Went real easy on the ride home, don't think the motor saw more than 3000 rpm. However it's having some problems which I need to figure out. The car lights off the SES light which I thought was due to the cam causing the car to idle worse. I bumped the idle up 150 rpm and it still did it on the ride home. I was so mentally and physically drained I didn't even look at the drive home datalogs until this morning.

The logs show bank #2 (passenger side) has really high LTFT's, bank 2 around 20 - 25, bank 1 around 0 - 5. The goal is to get ALL LTFT’s between -5 and 0. Positive LTFT's indicate fuel is being added because of a lean condition therefore if the tune is off you'd rather be on the rich side and have the computer take away fuel. I'm thinking a vacuum leak and/or bad O2 sensor. Something is wrong and I have a feeling the brake booster vacuum port on the back of the manifold is leaking, cry baby (If that's the case the manifold will have to come off and my back is crying just thinking about it).
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they went to plastic manifolds to give mechanics a break when swapping components out. Laughing (I remind you of the joy of swapping a Ford Fe stock cast iron intake with hood on.) Rolling Eyes

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
I thought they went to plastic manifolds to give mechanics a break when swapping components out. Laughing (I remind you of the joy of swapping a Ford Fe stock cast iron intake with hood on.) Rolling Eyes

Big Dave

Remember the FE in the trucks with a/c? If you didn't use clothes pins on #8 push rods holding them in place when putting the intake back on you would never be able to get them in after. Embarassed Smoke at least you don't have to stand on a ladder then bend over. Twisted Evil
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought they went to plastic manifolds to give mechanics a break when swapping components out

They did, but have you looked under the hood of a Camaro lately? On the 95 I had, the cowl came about 2/3 of the way down the intake and the nose kept you from getting to anything from the front and the fenders were basically rubber (Firebirds are worse). They might have shortened the nose a little on the later models, but I still feel for Smoke if he's got to go back in it. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Quote:
I thought they went to plastic manifolds to give mechanics a break when swapping components out

They did, but have you looked under the hood of a Camaro lately? On the 95 I had, the cowl came about 2/3 of the way down the intake and the nose kept you from getting to anything from the front and the fenders were basically rubber (Firebirds are worse). They might have shortened the nose a little on the later models, but I still feel for Smoke if he's got to go back in it. Clay

The fun of making things right. Shocked Totally sucks but what is learned is price less.
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning the hard way is overrated... Wink
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had time for a quick look, pulled the plug wires off bank #2 (passenger side) and checked for any loose ignition wires and didn't find anything. Tomorrow I'll pull the plugs on that side and see what I come up with.

Clay is 100% right, about 1/2 or more of the intake manifold is under the cowel. The back four bolts have to be in the manifold while lifting it into place (requires two people to hold the bolts up while lifting in place), otherwise you'll never be able to put them in.

Most of the guys who do motor swaps on these drop the whole engine and trans cradle down. After doing this I would seriously consider that approach. Maybe when I put a 427 LS7 in it, Devil . Paul_P , you up for it? Very Happy
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of makeup sleep I'm ready bring it on. I have healed up for the most part from the beating that thing gave me anyway. It was still rewarding to see it run after all that work. I'll help you yank that intake again no problem. Let me know don't forget torque on the intake is important to get right it is plastic. This time we know what we are in for and practice makes perfect.... Cheers nod

You are always welcome at the garage with the dumb birds in it on fumes. Laughing
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
After a lot of makeup sleep I'm ready bring it on. I have healed up for the most part from the beating that thing gave me anyway. It was still rewarding to see it run after all that work. I'll help you yank that intake again no problem. Let me know don't forget torque on the intake is important to get right it is plastic. This time we know what we are in for and practice makes perfect.... Cheers nod

You are always welcome at the garage with the dumb birds in it on fumes. Laughing

You're crazy on another one of those jobs. I know the second time will go much faster but that job just sucked!

I was thinking about the missing ground lug and now that I think about it I was wrong. Their is no ground lug on that side (passenger side head). It only had the transmission tube support, and the harness clip(which I didn't put back on).
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
It was one of those things where we were both very tired and accomplished something and then though the rest would go together quick so we kept going and going and going until it was better to finish.

The car runs and I drove it home. Went real easy on the ride home, don't think the motor saw more than 3000 rpm. However it's having some problems which I need to figure out. The car lights off the SES light which I thought was due to the cam causing the car to idle worse. I bumped the idle up 150 rpm and it still did it on the ride home. I was so mentally and physically drained I didn't even look at the drive home datalogs until this morning.

The logs show bank #2 (passenger side) has really high LTFT's, bank 2 around 20 - 25, bank 1 around 0 - 5. The goal is to get ALL LTFT’s

between -5 and 0. Positive LTFT's indicate fuel is being added because of a lean condition therefore if the tune is off you'd rather be on the rich side and have the computer take away fuel. I'm thinking a vacuum leak and/or bad O2 sensor. Something is wrong and I have a feeling the brake booster vacuum port on the back of the manifold is leaking, cry baby (If that's the case the manifold will have to come off and my back is crying just thinking about it).

if the brake booster port was leaking, wouldnt you have high fuel trim on BOTH banks? can you watch short term fuel trim while spraying carb cleaner (in small ammounts) around the right bank? as soon as you hit the vac leak your STFT will drop significantly.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
if the brake booster port was leaking, wouldnt you have high fuel trim on BOTH banks? can you watch short term fuel trim while spraying carb cleaner (in small ammounts) around the right bank? as soon as you hit the vac leak your STFT will drop significantly.

I haven't pulled out the carb cleaner to try to find it.

The brake booster port connects right on the back of the manifold next to cylinder number 8. Yes it should affect all cylinders not just the passenger side.

My approach to problem solve is to run the diagnostic tests from the computer to see if I can isolate it to a specific cylinder.

If not spray the hoses down with carb cleaner looking for a vacuum leak.

If that doesn't work pull the plug wires, and plugs to see if I see anything funny, do a compression test and a leak down test.

If that doesn't work swap coil packs to see if the problem follows to the other side.

If that doesn't work swap O2 sensors and see if the problem follows.

If that doesn't work pull the intake and see if anything is funny.

If that doesn't work run away!

I drove the car again tonight for another datalog, still going very easy on it. Even though you know something isn't right, running on less than 8 cylinders the car feels pretty responsive. I'm hoping it will really scream once I sort out these problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: