Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

vacume pumps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dam

504.58 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: vacume pumps Reply with quote

Hi guys; What do you think of vacume pumps , are they really worth 30 plus HP. ? I was thinking useing an OEM. pump , Which one might work best? Its going on a 490 ci. BBC. Thanks for any info. Dave
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: vacume pumps Reply with quote

dam wrote:
Hi guys; What do you think of vacume pumps , are they really worth 30 plus HP. ? I was thinking useing an OEM. pump , Which one might work best? Its going on a 490 ci. BBC. Thanks for any info. Dave

There are posts on this one. Aerosmith had a good one!
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search for "vacuum pump" you should find it. 86GN runs a converted A.I.R pump for crankcase vacuum. You do have to do some tig welding though. Another option is what I did and I picked up a vacuum pump off of a Cadillac at the junk yard and made a simple bracket. With the big pulley I think it made like 8" of vac. If you go my route make sure you get the check valve(same as for power brake booster).I used a pcv valve with the guts removed and a grommet to run it to the valve cover.

On this subject..I have, somewhere an article in a car mag from the 80's about a guy who drag raced an Olds and he ran twin pipes from the valve covers to the q-jet base plate to let the engine create the vac. He said it was like having a 5th barrel on the carb. He said that at one point it sucked so hard that his valve covers collapsed onto his rockers. Seems far fetched, but that's what the story said.

I don't know how well this would work on the street because you would have to really richen it up, but on a drag car it could work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: