Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

I think I found the problem. But wth?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: I think I found the problem. But wth? Reply with quote

It appears this edelbroke carb is not using the secondarys.... I pulled the air cleaner off and was trying to tune the a/f thinking maybe that was the problem but then i noticed everytime i hit the throttle that nothing was coming outta the secondarys... Im thinkin about getting a 650 demon, but I dont know if i should go with the 650 or 750 b/c once this motor is cammed the sallee guys say run a 750. So if i get the 650 and then later put a cam in will the 650 handle it?
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secondaries don't open when you blip the throttle because there isn't enough drop in vacuum. If you were to strap your self to the fender while some one raced your car around town standing on the throttle in first gear I'm sure you would see them open up. Need to look elsewhere I'm afraid.

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
The secondaries don't open when you blip the throttle because there isn't enough drop in vacuum. If you were to strap your self to the fender while some one raced your car around town standing on the throttle in first gear I'm sure you would see them open up. Need to look elsewhere I'm afraid.

Big Dave

Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing That is so true!
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drop in vacuum needed to open the secondaries only comes when the engine is under load. Get the 750 now and you can tune it down if needed, it's very hard to make a carb bigger.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go with the 750. the only thing i ever put a 650 on was a 305.

beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the 750, but why not Holley.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know in competent hands the Quadrejet is a damn good carb(and bet the truck was 4 barrel stock), small primaries for good milage and response and secondaries you could almost drop a tennis ball through. Believe the smallest they were made was 750cfm.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I would do is install a vacuum guage to see if they are really not opening. You should see the vacuum go away under a load and full throttle. Also make sure you have full throttle.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
You know in competent hands the Quadrejet is a damn good carb(and bet the truck was 4 barrel stock), small primaries for good milage and response and secondaries you could almost drop a tennis ball through. Believe the smallest they were made was 750cfm.

thats not a bad idea since the Quadrajet was actually designed for the Chevy V8. the only problem is the "competent hands" part. someone who doesnt know what they are doing will just screw it up(like myself Embarassed ). i think Holleys are the most versatile, parts are readily available, and theres lots of information available on tuning and troubleshooting.

artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree 10sec. I know it can be done but I have tried and tried (and I know a good bit about quadrajets) and have never been able to get one to perform like a Holley.

I guess most other people have had the same luck, since you rarely see a serious drag racer sporting their trick QJ. 96CapriceMgr has a magic wand or something because he can make those stock GM parts walk the walk. That Caprice is insanely fast for what he is running in it. It reminds me of a high tech version of a car that my dad ran a few years back. He lightened a 76 Cadillac Seville and put a 565 Caddy stroker in it with some 3.73 gears. Ran in the high 10's on pump gas. He used to scare me to death riding in that thing.

I do like the sound of those QJ secondaries opening BWAAAAAHHHH!!
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys he is running an Edelbroke not a Qjet Confused Even though I agree with Caprice on tuning the Qjet. There use to be a lot of SS cars running 10's with that carb Shocked
85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I happen to have a performance Q jet but Ill be damned if I couldnt get the damn thing to run right on a humid day. I dont know what was on there orignally b/c it was sb400 truck. Anyways it sounds like there is a vacuum leak inside the carb ? It does not want right at idle or part throttle but jump over 2500rpms and she runs pretty darn good. I tried dropping in the 5in orange springs on the rods to see if it clears up any but I couldnt tell if it was better or worse. Thanks for clearing that up everytime I take the carb off the truck and hit the throttle both primarys and secondarys spray fuel, thats why I thought it was odd.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85GMCstreetbeast wrote:
Well I happen to have a performance Q jet but Ill be damned if I couldnt get the damn thing to run right on a humid day. I dont know what was on there orignally b/c it was sb400 truck. Anyways it sounds like there is a vacuum leak inside the carb ? It does not want right at idle or part throttle but jump over 2500rpms and she runs pretty darn good. I tried dropping in the 5in orange springs on the rods to see if it clears up any but I couldnt tell if it was better or worse. Thanks for clearing that up everytime I take the carb off the truck and hit the throttle both primarys and secondarys spray fuel, thats why I thought it was odd.

I thought you said Edelbroke Confused On the Qjet check the plug in the middle of the carb with the base plate off. That was a big leaker. With the squirters in the primaries only you will never be able to squirt in the secondaries unless there is a baseball size hole bettween the two.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85GMCstreetbeast wrote:

I never saw a Qjet with colored springs Confused Edelbrock????? Top gasket when it was torn replacing the springs??????????? Confused Confused Very Happy Don't meen to sound like a D. But we have to know what the heck?
85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running a EDL 1411 750 carb on the truck, I have a Performance Q jet sitting in my car port. To replace the rods,springs you dont have to remove the carb or take the top plate on these carbs. The only thing you have to do that for is jets. But I will pull it off during the week and see if the gasket is torn or not. Sorry about that other post I was tired and not thinking clearly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: