Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Gasket set

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Gasket set Reply with quote

I have run this several times lately. I can't find a gasket kit to suit my needs.

Many SBC blocks are out there that have been decked once and are at about 9.015 deck height. Others are at 9.025 and need about .010 taken off to clean up. Getting a good quench height of about .035 to .040 means you need a head gasket that is around .022 thick ala steel shim.

Mr. Gasket (about 10 years ago) sold this great gasket set that we used which included header gaskets, umbrella seals, good quality intake gaskets and other stuff suitable for a racing engine. The head gaskets were plain old .022 steel shims. The price was about $65. A can of dollar general aluminum paint and life was good.

That was then, this is now... Mr. Gasket stopped making that set. The Fel-pro racing set and most others come with a thick head gasket. The piston would have to run .005 out of the hole just to get proper quench.

Nothing that I can find has a suitable head gasket for an engine that has around 9.015 deck height.

Do any of you know of a good gasket set with .022 shims that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Preferably a racing oriented set that doesn't include all the unnecessary BS like EGR gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, o-ring valve seals etc.

Thanks,

Art
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Gasket part number 1130 embossed steel head gasket compression thickness 0.018"-0.020". (note will not fit 305 engines). $16.99 a pair at Jegs.
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 383 I had decked to 9.000" which puts my pistons .005" out of the hole. I run Milodon .040" copper gaskets. They are a little pricey at around $70 a pair, but they are reusable. I rebuilt my engine after 30k miles and I just had to clean the rtv off and put fresh on, you have to seal around the water holes. Mr. Gasket has the shim ones in 4.100" in .020" part #1130. They are $16.99/pr at Jegs.
nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru-seal steel shim type head gasket .025" thick part #91010205 (won't fit 400)

You can get them at Speedwaymotors.com
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art, GM Performance has 2 different gaskets that are .029. They are Teflon coated and work well. If I had my book with me I could give you the part #'s but I don't. I believe Scoggindiky has them. I probably crucified the name. Smile
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.

It is still odd to me that apparently nobody sells a gasket kit with those type of head gaskets.

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: