Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

supercharger for 500 bucks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: supercharger for 500 bucks Reply with quote

my brothers boss is selling a side mount supercharger for 1000, but my brother told me his boss would sell it to me for 500. he went from one supercharger to twin turbo, so he doesnt really want it any more. it has about 2000 miles on it. basically what should be comomon steps to go through if i were to get this? the motor has been rebuild and bored already so inside should be ready for the stress. secondly i only plan on running low boost, about 100 horsepower gain.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharger for 500 bucks Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
my brothers boss is selling a side mount supercharger for 1000, but my brother told me his boss would sell it to me for 500. he went from one supercharger to twin turbo, so he doesnt really want it any more. it has about 2000 miles on it. basically what should be comomon steps to go through if i were to get this? the motor has been rebuild and bored already so inside should be ready for the stress. secondly i only plan on running low boost, about 100 horsepower gain.

I would not use it at this time in my tuning abilities. You have a whole lot of learning to do before you can use this. I myself am going to wait on charging my boat. For what it's worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get back to ya, I had this really great writeup I had been typing about 15 min. and then is disappeared before I posted it Mad . I'll retype after I calm down. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I'll get back to ya, I had this really great writeup I had been typing about 15 min. and then is disappeared before I posted it Mad . I'll retype after I calm down. Clay

Calm down!!! there is more to this story than is whats said. The tuning is going to be way beyond the expected!. I can't wait. Adam
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i c what you are saying. but would it be worth paying the 500 bucks and holding onto until the time is right? i know im still learning and all but i do understand the risks involved in owning one, it owuldnt be some inpulsive quick buy and throw on, but it seems like a deal that i should grab while it lasts. just to have.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k. - here I go again. I assume since you describe this as a "side mount" supercharger you are talking about a centrifugal style. The first thing to find out is even if it is a model that will fit your intended usage. Procharger, Paxton and Vortech make several different impeller designs that have different boost curves and are intended to operate most efficiently in a certain flow (basically horsepower) range. Get the model and serial number and call the manufacturer. If it is something you can use, the first thing you will have to decide is whether you are going to fabricate all of the associated support stuff (brackets, plumbing, etc.) or buy everything. If you are going to buy it, check pricing with the manufacturer before you buy the head unit - unless it comes with all of the brackets. I'll shorten this post over my first by not covering information to fabricate brackets and other stuff unless you need it later. Next you need to know the compression ratio of your engine. This will determine how much boost you can run. If it is too high, then you will have to go with intercooling which adds to the complexity of plumbing and cost. Water injection is another alternative I have played with, but didn't really see any results. It could be that the intercooler had already negated most of the gains of the water injection. If compression ratio is too high, you will be limited to such a low level of boost that it's not cost effective to supercharge. Next you will need a fuel pump capable of pumping enough volume of fuel to support your desired h.p. level at 6 - 7 lbs. PLUS whatever boost pressure you are running. I'm running an external fuel injection pump. Next you will have to have a return style regulator (bypass) that is boost referenced to increase fuel pressure as boost rises. Then comes the carburetor. I can't remember if you are still running the Edelbrock or not. Most blow thru setups are using a Holley style carb. The "HP" series is the easiest to setup since everything is already easily changeable. I can steer you in carb setup pretty close but if you want to get a custom modified carb., last I checked, CSU charged $400 to modify one. I wouldn't recommend anyone else based on the outstanding customer service I have received from Kevin. Lastly, buy, borrow, or rent a wide band to get an idea if you are in the ballpark and far as air/fuel ratios. The Innovate I use is around $450 or so and is invaluable in tuning sort of a screwy setup like a blow thru. There are some other models that have come out recently that are a little cheaper. Once they are setup, it doesn't require much changing, but the initial tuning can be sort of involved until you figure out what your particular combo likes. I don't want to discourage you, but I agree with Af2, I think you should start with something else like a basic nitrous plate system that doesn't require the initial tuning a blow thru does until you learn more and become more able to experiment and figure stuff out. They are pretty simple and if you cover a few basic things, very reliable at the 100 - 150 h.p. level and you could be done for around $500 for a new system and about half that if you can find a used one. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my supercharger, and you can make a crapload of power, but I would hate for you to get halfway into this project and run out of money or patience - that's no fun. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer another area of your reply, find out what model it is and manufacturer and we can give you a better indication of it being a good deal. It really sounds like a great one, but find out more info. first. Clay
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright well first i am oging to get the model and serial number and such, and get it on here, but befire i spend 500 bucks on a supercharger, im putting in new timing chain or timing gears, still deciding, and a new water pump and power steering pump. by the time i get 500 dollars to spend again, im not sure the supercharger will even still be there. ill get the number and model like you said and post it, and et basic information from there, but chances are it wont be fore sale by the time i have the money. and even then like you said there is too much i would have to buy afterwards such as a fuel pump and carb. not to mention the carb hat wouldnt fit under my hood. i may jsut pay teh 500 and get ahold of it jsut for the deal, but chances are it would not be going into my car. my old man jsut bought a chevy blazer and hes buying a 383 stroker for it so he said hed give me the 350 thats in it now so i will have something to tinker with in my spare time, so perhaps ill be able to use the SC with this motor. not too sure yet but jsut because of the deal i think im going to grab it.

A lot of people have recommended using a 100 shot of nitrous but i have always been against it. no offense to anyone that uses it, but ide rather have a motor that always makes power rather then a button needed to be pushed. not going ot lie though if i had a race car ide use it, but never for street.

while im here, im deciding on whether to go with a timing chain or timing gears. i know a timing chain is more practical and better suited to a mid-top end motor, but i cant resist the whine of timing gears. i have read some things about timing gears and a lot of them say they dont recommend use above 7,000 rpm. although i have my motor set up for mid-top end, i still never let it see 7,000, so getting timing gears wouldnt be out of place. i dont know any opinions on that would be appreciated. Tim

disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I hear a car with a gear drive in them, they have a flowmaster sticker on the back glass, mabey a K&N sticker and run solid 15sec passes... the only whine I like is the one that comes from a alky injected rat motor... not from a stock bolt on motor... they rob HP! that is reason enough not to use them.....
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear drive is one of those things that it boils down to personal preference. Some people like the whine, some don't. Some like the chain because it's more forgiving. Some like the belt because it's easier to do cam adjustments(dry setup). I have a roller chain setup personally. I have only one piece of advice on this one, cam bolt lock plate and locktite! Infact, next time I have to take mine apart, I'm drilling the cam bolts for safety wire.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i guess ill jsut stick with a roller timing chain. thanks fo rthe input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: