Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

finally broke into the 8's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhyjohnson

4780.54 points

1973 Buick Apollo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: finally broke into the 8's Reply with quote

thanks to everyone's help i finally made it into the 8's (1/8mile). best run last nite was 8.92 with 1.88 60ft. i took the suggestions and spent some time adjusting the timing. went with light springs in the advance. also found out i was over revving the engine trying to shift at 6200rpm. so much for listening to the over friendly guy with no car at the track. backed the shift down to 5600rpm and what a difference. so next is some carb tuning and see what else i can squeeze out of her.
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Job! Though now I bet you'll get tempted to do crazy things, like build a bigger engine, and go faster, and break stuff, and build bigger everything else, then more engine, in this vicious downard spiral of faster car that has a lot of spare parts....
Paul P

83052.36 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
Funny you mentioned over revving the motor. I just had a personal best backing down the shiftpoints from a little above 7000 down to 6800 and that was the difference. Sometimes it can yeild better results at lower shiftpoints. thumbsup Burn Out
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on hitting 8's!!
jhyjohnson

4780.54 points

1973 Buick Apollo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. already thinking ahead of getting rid of the edelbrock carb and going with a 650 double pumper and maybe swap the 5:13 rear for a 4:56. like my wife says "when is fast fast enough?". but you cant beat the feeling of busting your ass and wallet then going to the track to watch tenths of a second fall off your time. weird sport this is
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhyjohnson wrote:
thanks guys. already thinking ahead of getting rid of the edelbrock carb and going with a 650 double pumper and maybe swap the 5:13 rear for a 4:56. like my wife says "when is fast fast enough?". but you cant beat the feeling of busting your ass and wallet then going to the track to watch tenths of a second fall off your time. weird sport this is

You better listen to the better half? I am still married because when I go all out and she drives it? Well all I can say is I have a smile for at least a day or 2 or 3 or? Depending on how far the thing sets her in the seat Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Paul P

83052.36 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd E-bay the Edelbrock and get a Holley if it were me but that is just me. I run 10's. With a Holley product of course.... Cool
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
I'd E-bay the Edelbrock and get a Holley if it were me but that is just me. I run 10's. With a Holley product of course.... Cool

Holleys are the way to go!! Got a Holley 80514 on my little small block Very Happy
jhyjohnson

4780.54 points

1973 Buick Apollo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id love it if my wife would drive the car but after a couple of passes down the track with me she says no. but im lucky enough she loves to go racing and watch. thinking of getting a 650 double pumper. i loved the edelbrock on the street but damn that carb to hell when it starts vapor locking on the track. i borrowed a 750 double pumper but its just to much carb but never had the vapor lock. so i figure a 650 double with mechanical secondaries and a crash course in tuning and id be happier.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is begining to express intetrest in racing but I think it is more because of the time I put into it rather than any real interest on her part.
She wants to drive one of these times, BUT I am hesitant given she has always had slow fwd cars and has ZERO performance driving skills. My Caprice is running 8.0 in the eigth, I don't know if that is the right way to start her out. Really wish I had put her in the drivers seat of one of my old beater RWD cars in a snowy parkinglot back when I had a couple cars like that would have been a great education for her.
Paul P

83052.36 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really wish I had put her in the drivers seat of one of my old beater RWD cars in a snowy parkinglot back when I had a couple cars like that would have been a great education for her.

That is the best way to learn well said Exclamation
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
My wife is begining to express intetrest in racing but I think it is more because of the time I put into it rather than any real interest on her part.
She wants to drive one of these times, BUT I am hesitant given she has always had slow fwd cars and has ZERO performance driving skills. My Caprice is running 8.0 in the eigth, I don't know if that is the right way to start her out. Really wish I had put her in the drivers seat of one of my old beater RWD cars in a snowy parkinglot back when I had a couple cars like that would have been a great education for her.

I wouldn't let her race your car yet, for her own safety. Everyone needs to learn to crawl before they can walk.
cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: CFM=speed? Reply with quote

Hey man, good job on breaking the barrier. With that much cam and those gears I'd go with a 750 cfm carb. Even if you don't use all of its capacity now, it sounds like you will soon. I had nothing but trouble with an edelbrock carb., but a 750 speed demon with mech. secondaries cured all my ills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: