Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

SBC 327 HP ?? Desktop dyno help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truckpuller

307.16 points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: SBC 327 HP ?? Desktop dyno help Reply with quote

Would anybody with Desktop Be willing to help me figure out a close estimate on my little 327. Here are the specks.
1962 327
4.030 x 3.25
KB Flat top pistons -7cc Valve relief
#461x D.H. Heads,,2.02/1.6 valves ,,172cc Int./ 62cc Exh runners
62cc Chambers
Compression should be around 10-1
Harland Sharp 1.5 Roller Rockers
Cam Shaft , Hyd. Flat tappet
.488 int/.510 exh. Lift
Duration at .050 Lift 234/244
advertized Duration 292 int/ 302 exh
Lobe Seperation is 114 deg.
Weiand Team G 7532(3/4" raised Plenum) Intake
i have 2 different carbs to use, 600cfm Edelbrock and a 750 Barry Grant Demon, Im not sure which to use for the most power.
Headers Have a 1 1/2 " primary,,,Would bigger headers Help?(1 5/8")?
I'm not sure where my timing should be set for best power, its 12 deg. BTDC for now. I have an adjustable Vac. Advance

I have been running this engine in my pulling truck.I can turn it about 6800 on a good pull. I appreciate any help i can get. Thinks for your time.If more info is needed Let me know.
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question..I have the same intake as you have on my 383 sbc. The reason I went with it is because the xcelerator had much smaller ports than my Dart Iron Eagle 215cc heads. You are runnung it in older factory 172cc heads. If memory servs me the 7532 track ram has 1.5"x1.5" ports and stock heads are like 1.3"x1.3". It seams like when that air hits the head port it would cause reversion back into the manifold and hurt velocity. Is your stock head port matched to the track ram? Otherwise it would seam like you're cheating yourself out of a lot of power.
In my opinion the larger headers would help, the demon carb if it's a vec sec would probably be better. I ran the 600 edelbrock on my stock 350 and liked it, but it wasn't near enough for my 383. Plus you can make the carb "feel" smaller but it's hard to make a small carb larger. If you have the money to spend maybe get some 1.6 rockers for the exhaust, they really should sell them by the half set for sbc, it seems like a lot of engine builders recommend 1.5 int and 1.6 exh.
Last thing..you said pulling truck which means you need torque for a very short run? What is it, like 100 yards? Are you still going to use it the same, or are you going to drag race and or street use it?
Truckpuller

307.16 points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ports on my intake are 1.25" x 2.05" And my heads measure the same?I did some small port work though, just smoothed out the rough edges.The only thing i know about engines is when you put them together,you better have your clearences and bolt torque specs right on. So far no failures. The pulls i go to are 300 ft. I run the 6200 lb. & the 6500 lb. class. When pulling I rev the engine to 5500 and start easing off the clutch. Im running a centerforce dual friction so its pretty hard to slip.Once it moves a foot or two I put it to the floor and DUMP the clutch. If nothing breaks Very Happy all 4 tires breaks loose and up the track i go. Around 75-100 feet the tach hits about 6800-6900 rpm . This engine falls on its face if i lug it down below 3000 though .I get beat on torque because of the short stroke, but its pretty stout. This truck has never been on the road other than winning a $50 bet that i could'nt burn all 4 tires on pavement( 4 blackmarks 14ft long!). Also I have to run a factory built head to run the classes i run. I might try the 1.6 exh. rockers this year. Thanks for you info . Any other comments are welcome, please !
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran the numbers and came up with around 430 h.p. around 6500 peak. Curve was kind of screwy though so it was hard to play around with cam specs - any change and it would throw up a spike that couldn't be realistic. When you say factory heads - could you run the late model Vortecs? Go to Chevy High Performance and check out the head flow database - the Vortecs are the deal for Chevrolets right now. I would think a mechanical camshaft might do a little better for all out power production in the 6500 - 7000 range - if you are allowed to run one. I agree with Aerosmith, I would go for the 1 5/8" headers and the 750 carb also. Not enough displacement for a torque motor, so I would think its gotta turn, which you seem to have a good setup in the rest of the truck to do that, so that's good. Clay
Truckpuller

307.16 points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Clay. 430 hp is more than what I thought. the only reason I never went with a mechanical cam is lack of knowledge. I have never set one up before. I could run vortec heads but i just spent $ 700 on my Double humps.I will look into it though .Also, Did it show where my torque peaked and how much it was. Thanks
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember 1 1/2 headers means torque and that is the the number he needs. A whole lot of cars would benefit from small primaries if they were dynoed right.
Truckpuller

307.16 points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pull coming up on May 26. I will run each class with different headers(1 1/2" and 1 5/Cool I think what i gain in torque, I could aford to lose in hp. with the 1 1/2"s Thanks AF2
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you were interested in running some 1.6's on the exhaust you can get half sets from Clay Smith Cams in buena park, CA. they dont advertise it on there web site but they offer some of the beefiest full rollers ive seen... really nice pieces....http://www.claysmithcams.com/index.asp

on the header issue i think the 1 5/8 is the way to go as well as a solid grind.. but it sounds like you have a great combo....

Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the 1 5/8 headers over the 1 1/2 because even though the rule is small for low end torque and larger for horsepower, the 1 1/2 in my opinion is basically for being able to say you have headers and only a slight improvement on manifolds. I consider 1 5/8 as the small ones for sbc and 1 3/4 right for something like my 383(If I could only afford the $450). I remember back when I was selling parts that 1 5/8 was the norm, none of this 1 1/2 shorty into a y-pipe into a stock system. I don't know how my brain was so off base with the intake port size, I was thinking of the exhaust ports. I checked and you are right stock size is 1.23" x 1.99". My Dart heads use the medium race port gaskets which are 1.34 x 2.21 which is what the track ram matched to.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerosmith wrote:
I mentioned the 1 5/8 headers over the 1 1/2 because even though the rule is small for low end torque and larger for horsepower, the 1 1/2 in my opinion is basically for being able to say you have headers and only a slight improvement on manifolds. I consider 1 5/8 as the small ones for sbc and 1 3/4 right for something like my 383(If I could only afford the $450). I remember back when I was selling parts that 1 5/8 was the norm, none of this 1 1/2 shorty into a y-pipe into a stock system. I don't know how my brain was so off base with the intake port size, I was thinking of the exhaust ports. I checked and you are right stock size is 1.23" x 1.99". My Dart heads use the medium race port gaskets which are 1.34 x 2.21 which is what the track ram matched to.

Funny how people get into the bigger is better thing. 20 years ago a good friend of mine ran a 33 Willys Coupe with a 331 Tunnel ram 4 speed etc. and 1 1/2" long tube headers. I don't know what you guys think is fast but the car ran a best 10.02 @ 137mph and shifted at 8500 launched at 9000. I bet he would have laughed at you if you told him a bigger header would make it faster. By the way that car was the most fun to drive. Nothin like lookin at the sky in first and second with you're head plastered to the head rest riding the wheelie bars. The car ran leaf springs also.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing too add. The motor will see higher rpm's by going to a solid cam. Chevrolet still has the 3965754 available. I ran this cam and spun the motor 7800 with 110# seat preasure. It pulled up to 7200 great. If I had 140# on the seat I am sure I would have raised both # by 500 rpm.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the $700 worth of work included some bowl porting, then what you have is probably pretty close to or slightly better than the Vortec's. I was working on the general rules we had for the "stock" classes of dirt track cars around here - usually if they specified a factory head, it meant an untouched, unmodified head. One thing that might help is maybe trying the RPM air gap intake. Tests I have seen on it vs. a Victor Jr. have it losing maybe 10 h.p. on the top but gaining 20 - 30 ft. lbs. of torque in the midrange. This was on stuff making around high 400 to 500 h.p. It sounds like you do have a pretty good overall combo, but the dual plane might get you a few extra feet in the end before it dies. Maybe...Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
One thing that might help is maybe trying the RPM air gap intake. Tests I have seen on it vs. a Victor Jr. have it losing maybe 10 h.p. on the top but gaining 20 - 30 ft. lbs. of torque in the midrange. This was on stuff making around high 400 to 500 h.p. It sounds like you do have a pretty good overall combo, but the dual plane might get you a few extra feet in the end before it dies. Maybe...Clay

I totally agree a dual plane is the best for all out torque. Single planes are for the top end supposedly witch makes me wonder were top end is.
If you take a cam that runs out at 6800 why would you run an Intake that is good for 8500. I have run dual planes that saw 8000 quite a bit.
Truckpuller

307.16 points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for all the info. Right now i think i will run my 1 5/8 headers and will go buy a Performer RPM Intake. The torque i loose on the headers i should get back with my intake.??? Ill let you all know. I appreciate all the time you gave me. If you ever need any tips on welding something , Let me know, Thanks Storm
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truckpuller wrote:
Thanks alot for all the info. Right now i think i will run my 1 5/8 headers and will go buy a Performer RPM Intake. The torque i loose on the headers i should get back with my intake.??? Ill let you all know. I appreciate all the time you gave me. If you ever need any tips on welding something , Let me know, Thanks Storm
Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: