Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

carb help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: carb help Reply with quote

i just bought two edelbrock carbs from some guy that lives near me. they are both electric choke, mechanicle secondary 600cfm marine carbs. one is brand new out of hte box, and the other is remanufactured, both for 250 dollars. my question is, i hooked up and tuned the brand new one, and it works fine. i had to bring the carb to the garage down the road, to get vacuum line plugs put in, but when i ran the car, there was no vacuum suction. i noticed because the manual first and second gear worked fine, but it wouldnt change into drive mode. the vacuum lines were making no suction at all. the PCV line works fine. does anyone know what i have to do to get these vacuum lines to work?

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the one to the right of the PCV is constant vacuum and the one to the left is ported due to its higher location on the carb. Not very famaliar with Edelbrock, but I would just take the carb off and spray cleaner into each vacuum port and see where it comes out. It should come out somewhere. That would be the easiest thing to try. Clay
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the hting, i think they are purposely blocked off. if you look up marine edelbrock carbs, they do not come with vacuum line and pcf plugs.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: carb help Reply with quote

[quote="87IrocTim"]i just bought two edelbrock carbs from some guy that lives near me. they are both electric choke, mechanicle secondary 600cfm marine carbs. one is brand new out of hte box, and the other is remanufactured, both for 250 dollars. my question is, i hooked up and tuned the brand new one, and it works fine. i had to bring the carb to the garage down the road, to get vacuum line plugs put in, but when i ran the car, there was no vacuum suction. i noticed because the manual first and second gear worked fine, but it wouldnt change into drive mode. the vacuum lines were making no suction at all. the PCV line works fine. does anyone know what i have to do to get these vacuum lines to work?

[/quote

It seems you have the line in the right place. My Question is. How much silicone is used? I have seen ports plugged with it and no one ever knows. Adam
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look on theur website they have the manuals avail to download if you don't have one, I used to run a 1406 Edelbrock and couldn't figure some stuff out so I called them. They were really helpful and told me about the download..they will also mail you a manual for whatever carb you have. Those are by far the easiest carbs I ever tuned once I understood what was going on with it, just didn't flow enough for my 383.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: carb help Reply with quote

[quote="af2"]
87IrocTim wrote:
i just bought two edelbrock carbs from some guy that lives near me. they are both electric choke, mechanicle secondary 600cfm marine carbs. one is brand new out of hte box, and the other is remanufactured, both for 250 dollars. my question is, i hooked up and tuned the brand new one, and it works fine. i had to bring the carb to the garage down the road, to get vacuum line plugs put in, but when i ran the car, there was no vacuum suction. i noticed because the manual first and second gear worked fine, but it wouldnt change into drive mode. the vacuum lines were making no suction at all. the PCV line works fine. does anyone know what i have to do to get these vacuum lines to work?
[/quote

It seems you have the line in the right place. My Question is. How much silicone is used? I have seen ports plugged with it and no one ever knows. Adam
See if you have vacuum at the port that is plugged. I also believe there is a plug on the back of the carb that you can use for a port.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a functional plug above the butterflies. will that work for a vacuum line? and both front vacuum lines have no suction.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
there is a functional plug above the butterflies. will that work for a vacuum line? and both front vacuum lines have no suction.

That is totally weird! You should have vacuum below the butterflies. About the silicon, I see you are not using it. Very clean set up. If you have vacuum at that port I would use it. Adam
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is jsut a plug that comes down on an angle, and its basically just a small hole above the butterflies. im going to try that as a vacuum line, but i think you have to pucture the metal plate behind the vacuum lines. i appreciate the help.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could splice into the vacuum line for the power brakes with a T-fitting. Wouldn't be ported, but constant vacuum is better than none.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
You could splice into the vacuum line for the power brakes with a T-fitting. Wouldn't be ported, but constant vacuum is better than none.

That was my thought also on the transmission line. Adam
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I totaly brain farted. You don't need vacuum to shift into high gear. What the hell was I thinking? The vacuum is for down shifting and slowing the upshift via modulater that is hooked to the vacuum line. You need to give more info at this point and let me think for a decade before I can give advise. Laughing # 1 is what trans. Sounds like a T 350. Adam
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No modulator vacuum would raise line pressure to a point that he would have to really turn the motor hard to get enough govornor pressure to get a shift. I'm wondering if you have a shift kit that provides a full manual control type shift from the 1-2 manual detent position and ignores modulator signal but basically returns to normal in the "D" positon and therefore won't shift into high gear. Seems like I remember some transmissions going to max line pressure in the reverse and the 1 and 2 positions and ignore modulator signal without a shift kit. I know the 200R4 and a 700R4 do (well they ingore the TV cable, same difference), haven't tested a 350 or 400 to know for sure. Is there no passage going anywhere from the two smaller nipples on the front of the carb? This makes no sense if there isn't. Why would they put the nipple on the carb in the first place? Strange.....Clay
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the stock automatic tranny's that cam is the 3rd generation IROC-Z's. the tranny worked fine until i put in the new carb that had the vacuum lines blocked off. my tranny has gears 1 and 2 spots, a drive spot and an overdrive spot. i was jsut thinking about it, there is a second cable at the throttle linkage that is not hooked up at the moment. does that cable allow it to go into the next gear after using the one and two manual gears?
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: 8) Reply with quote

Throttle position sensor not hooked up will cause quite a few problems (even being out of adjustment will). Wonder how much damage that did? Yes the extra part left over has to be connected. That lets the computer know you are stepping on the gas, and controls the shift points.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: