Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Just got the chassis certified!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Just got the chassis certified!!! Reply with quote

The NHRA Guy was in the area and called to see if it was ready. He showed 1 hr. later and went through the thickness and size and certified it with no questions. I am very happy with the outcome Very Happy . I will get the pistons, rings and pins next week from Mahle. I am beside myself. Goes to get balanced next week and then I can finally assemble the beast.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be happy to have that behind you. What's your timetable for making some passes?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. How fast do you expect the car to run?
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully June to get it running. Smoke I don't have a clue what it will run but I am hoping Mid 9's. Could be a pipe dream but you have to have a goal. Adam
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Mahle PISTONS. FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON I do not recommend. The piston to valve on my motor is .021 exhaust and .049 intake. THAT IS THE BIGGEST CRAP i HAVE SEEN. I had a set of Wiseco Pistons that were .125 and .100 with the same cam!!. Just my 48 cent's worth. I am totally pissed after waiting 2 months for the pistons. I hope to have the Intake clearanced .050 More and the Exhaust .080. more.
Total bunch of crap I have to deal with. Hope to have this car running whenever. Adam
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked deck thickness of piston. I know they are coated pistons, and it kind of defeats the purpose of paying big bucks for a coated piston and then modifying it. But, given enough meat you could fly cut at least adequate clearance (I think you are a little low on clearance now, no matter how good your rev limiter).

Big Dave
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Just got the Mahle PISTONS. FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON I do not recommend. The piston to valve on my motor is .021 exhaust and .049 intake. THAT IS THE BIGGEST CRAP i HAVE SEEN. I had a set of Wiseco Pistons that were .125 and .100 with the same cam!!. Just my 48 cent's worth. I am totally pissed after waiting 2 months for the pistons. I hope to have the Intake clearanced .050 More and the Exhaust .080. more.
Total bunch of crap I have to deal with. Hope to have this car running whenever. Adam

Hate when that happens.

Look at the bright side. At least you knew enough to check before you put the motor together and bent a bunch of valves.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Have you checked deck thickness of piston. I know they are coated pistons, and it kind of defeats the purpose of paying big bucks for a coated piston and then modifying it. But, given enough meat you could fly cut at least adequate clearance (I think you are a little low on clearance now, no matter how good your rev limiter).

Big Dave
Thanks Dave, the coating is the only reason I bought the pistons. I have to fly cut them and that is why I am pissed. My Cam is small at .615 lift and there should not be any issues. Adam
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
af2 wrote:
Just got the Mahle PISTONS. FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON I do not recommend. The piston to valve on my motor is .021 exhaust and .049 intake. THAT IS THE BIGGEST CRAP i HAVE SEEN. I had a set of Wiseco Pistons that were .125 and .100 with the same cam!!. Just my 48 cent's worth. I am totally pissed after waiting 2 months for the pistons. I hope to have the Intake clearance .050 More and the Exhaust .080. more.

Hate when that happens.

Look at the bright side. At least you knew enough to check before you put the motor together and bent a bunch of valves.

OK I went over to My machinist (I was going to do this myself) They will be done this week. I have more confidence in his machinery than mine. He is far better than I. Adam

The only thing I can say is I would have grenaded the thing. Adam P.S. Check first or clean up later.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
af2 wrote:

Hate when that happens.

Smoke Hopefully people will read this. They don't realize how critical it is.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so too. I just have to keep reminding myself to make sure and check everything.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pistons are done!!!!!! George worked on a Easter Sunday to finish them. Had to wait again but well worth it. Patients is not my thing but I am learning. I will pick them up tomorrow and will take some pics on some awesome machine work!!!! Adam
I think the reason for the clearance problem is the fact I am running 6.125 rods that leave the dwell at the top of the stroke far longer than 5.7 rods. I can't blame Mahle, only the person I bought it from.
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Af, I just now saw this thread..those were your clearances with the head gasket installed? On my 383, I had it decked to 9" which put my pistons out of the hole by .005", with the .040" copper head gasket it gave me .035". For an "amateur" like me that's pushing it but I have heard of engine builders going alot less..I can't afford to replace parts! I hope by the end of the summer that I'm asked to leave and not come back to the track without a roll cage and harness, if you get what I mean.
Paul P

83052.36 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what's makes it fun though isn't it Question I had many little things like this bite me while putting the 406 together. Fly cutting the pistons was one of them. The one I think I remember the most was the Summit Aluminum timing cover that I spent 4 hours machining to make the Pete Jackson gear drive fit properly. I had to spot face all the bolt holes because there was no room for the arp bolts and washers to fit flush bolting the cover on. Then cut holes and weld in plugs in the cover for the idler gear pins for clearance. By the time I was done with it, I took a look at the cast in "summit racing" letters on the cover. I was so pissed I milled them off as it was such a POS they did not deserve and free advertising.
af2

71842.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
By the time I was done with it, I took a look at the cast in "summit racing" letters on the cover. I was so pissed I milled them off as it was such a POS they did not deserve and free advertising.

I agree. I hate to buy their part the advertise it for life. Picked up the pistons from George this morning and they are awesome. He made a tool to hold the piston by the pin to get precise cuts at any angle and it is perfect. My clearance with head gasket and at 0 lash is .092 ex and .080 in. With .025 lash I have more than enough clearance.
Took the parts to the shop that did the machine work on the block to balance it. They will try to get it done this week. Very Happy Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: