Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Help with idle problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Help with idle problem Reply with quote

I was hoping that maybe someone could help with an idling problem that I am having. Here is all my specs and then the problem I have. SBC 350cid engine, bored .030, domed pistons (.275) Iron eagle cylinder heads 215cc runners, 72cc chamber, angle plugs. Edelbrock performer RPM intake and cam, Edelbrock 750cfm performer carb, Edelbrock high volume mechanical fuel pump. Holley elite headers into 2 1/2in exaust with flow master mufflers. Mallery Unilite vacuum advance distributor, MSD coil and spark control module and excell spark plugs. Backed up with a th350 trans. and a B&M holeshot converter. I am currently running 32deg total timing. My problem is that when the car is in neutral it will idle at about 1100rpm, then when put in gear it only idles between 400 to 500 rpm and sometimes stalls. I have adjusted the timing and the carb several different ways, it seems to do the best with the fuel adjustment screws on the carb turned out about 1/4 of a turn, I dont understand this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT ENOUGH STALL. Or a big time vacuum leak!!!!!
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not say what cam you are running!!
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, its in there. Edelbrock performer RPM Intake and Cam. Its a combo package. Here are all the specs if it will help. This is mostly greek to me!
DURATION: Advertised, int. 308 exh. 318/ @.050, int. 234 exh. 244 LIFT: @cam, int. 0.325 exh. 0.340/ @valve, int. 0.488 exh. 0.510 TIMING @.050 Intake: open 10*BTDC close 44*ABDC Exaust: open 55* BBDC close 5*ATDC CENTERLINES: lobe seps. 112* intake centerline 107*

jonny_b

5693.36 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say that your Idle screw is only out 1/4 of a turn?!?!?! You may want to check the carb..

1. do you have a fuel pressure regulator before the carb? I noticed you have the high flow edel pump, you need to run a regulator or you will just push fuel past the needle & seat. The edelbrock carbs are setup to handle a max of I think its 5.5psi.

2. If thats not the prob, you may check the float levels and make sure you don't have the primaries too far open. with only having the the idle screws out, its possible the primaries are too far open and you are using the primary circut for idle, instead of the idle circut.

3. what stall speed does your converter have.

coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everybody but you might also need to run more timing. 32 degrees is a little low. You will probably have to run more initial with that cam. Anywhere from 15 to 20 degrees should be a good start. Have you driven the car any to see if it stumbles on take off or anything?

I played with an edelbrock carb and a big cam combo and noticed that the secondaries didn't have the same type of set screw for adjustment. You might want to try a Holley. I just know much more about the Holley and to me it seems easier to adjust.

Has the car been sitting for a while? Sometimes the gas in the tank can be pretty bad. I have a truck now that I am trying to run the bad gas out of. The engine will burn your eyes out at idle. I have adjusted the carb all kinds of ways. The only thing that has helped so far is some octane booster and fresh high octane gas. I still have a 1/4 tank of crappy gas left and the engine is running much better. Copper
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like I may have multiple problems, I am pretty sure that the converter doesnt have enough stall. Its a B&M Holeshot 2000. Also, I am not running a fuel regulator, just straight from the pump to the carb.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike that converter will not work period. Most people think 2000 is high but a stock converter stalls at 1800( hence lock up converters) With those cam specs and the other mods I myself wouldn't run any lower than 3000 stall. That motor would love a 3500 stall.
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have eliminated one problem, I checked the specs on the fuel pump, it only puts out 6 psi, specifically for the edelbrock carbs. I guess its time for a new converter. Im thinking 10" 2500-2800 stall.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a flash back!! There was a guy up here that had a 65 Chevelle that was going to blow my doors off. We went to the place everybody raced and lined up... Every time he put it into gear it would die. After 3 or 4 times he put it in gear and left to go back home. I never got to smoke him but to this day my friends still bring it up. (ps he was running a 2000 hole shot) His car idled at 1100 rpm untill he put it into gear.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with coppergmc, check initial timing. Basically run it as high as you can get away with, I would definately say you could get away with 20* with any kind of decent stall. I would also bump up total a little too like he said - 36* or so seems to be the commom starting point unless there are some really effecient chambers in the heads. What compression ratio does your combination work out to? Unfortunately I'm in the same boat with him on the Edelbrock carbs - I can help you much more with a Holley too. Not saying anything bad about the Edelbrock's, just the ones I have messed with have been on mostly stock setups and didn't require any major changes. Try hooking up a vacuum guage and tell us what it is pulling at idle in neutral and idle in gear. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok !!! You can check everyting about the motor and when you put it in gear it dies? The converter is crap. No more said on this post. I am not trying to be meen but straight forward. That is the problem. Like my first post I stated converter or Major vacuum leak. Hope it helps, Adam
85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 2nd the converter b/c I had a 2000 Corvette lock up stall in my 700R4 and it helped a little bit more then when I had the Th350 with stock from neutral to drive. Now I have a Streetfighter 2800-3200 non lock up and its great only prob is im on shitty street tires. Change the converter but If I was you id go for one closer to 3000.
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a converter it is then. I will let you know how it turns out.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to revise my answer earlier. I'm used to tuning stuff with lower compression and flat tops. With the domes, you probably have decent cranking compression with that cam. You might not be able to get away with 20* initial timing. Af2 - I agree that this combination would definately benefit from a looser converter that is probably 90% of the problem, but I was trying to cover some of the free stuff first that won't take 10 minutes to check or try and won't cost him a dime - that's all. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: