Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

LT1 carb conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 2 LT1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: LT1 carb conversion Reply with quote

I'm helping a friend drop a 95 LT1 from a Caprice (ex cop car) into a s-10. Cheap is the name of the game here, and keeping it fuel injected does not look too appealing right now.

I found a carb conversion intake manifold from GM Performance parts that looks interesting for about $250-but I've never seen anyone actually running one before. Does anybody got any reports (good or bad) about this? It seems like a no-brainer but dont want to convince him to go this way & run into a ton of trouble!

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with a gen1 then, an LT1 without it's sequential injection turns into a fuel hog more than anything though the carb intake does boost torque which is already impressive on that thing.
73RS

710.42 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know a guy around here that is running an LT1 with the manifold you talked about in your post and a carb in a 2nd gen camaro. He seems to like it alot and performs very good.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73RS wrote:
Know a guy around here that is running an LT1 with the manifold you talked about in your post and a carb in a 2nd gen camaro. He seems to like it alot and performs very good.

Might just as well have put Vortec heads on a gen1 and would have gotten the same results, maybe even better depending which heads the LT1 had. The early aluminums flow less than the Vortecs which are based heavily on the irons on the Caprice engine being discussed here.

It can work but you will lose a good bit of the drivability and economy that make the LT1 so great.
vettegofast

1049.94 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any dyno numbers for chevy's AL Vortec heads on a 5.7L? I want to run something comparable to Preformer RPM or systemax II.
ze doktor

314.88 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: LT1 carb conversion Reply with quote

2x4 wrote:
I'm helping a friend drop a 95 LT1 from a Caprice (ex cop car) into a s-10. Cheap is the name of the game here, and keeping it fuel injected does not look too appealing right now.

I found a carb conversion intake manifold from GM Performance parts that looks interesting for about $250-but I've never seen anyone actually running one before. Does anybody got any reports (good or bad) about this? It seems like a no-brainer but dont want to convince him to go this way & run into a ton of trouble!

it's not a no brainer, you have to know what you're getting into before you do this. first and extremely importantly is that you must keep the reverse flow cooling. no two ways around it. secondly, you gotta ditch the optispark. the gen2 block has provisions for a distributor just like the gen1 block but the FI manifolds don't have the hole for it; the bowtie carburated manifold does. you'll need optispark block-off plates (which i'm trying to track down at the moment). make sure you aren't trying to use the 4l60(e) out of the cop car because without a PCM you won't have any way to control the transmission except for buying a $700 box from TCI (which is cool but too expensive). a 700r4 or th400 or t56 or t5 or any non-computer controlled will work fine. that's pretty much it regarding the swapping of motors itself, but since you have the lt1 out of the car now it would be a good time for new oil pump, new lifters, new gaskets, maybe an electric water pump (so cheap because you reuse your stock housing), a cam (if you want), valve springs etc etc just things to freshen up a motor before it goes into another car.

many people knock the bowtie intake but in truth there is barely anyone running it, so yeah that guy might have a car that runs bad but he may also not know how to correctly tune a carb or set his timing to actually make power.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would he look to replace the oil pump and lifters two VERY reliable pieces. These are roller lifters and perfectly acceptable to reuse with a cam. I had60K or so on my motor when I cammed it and reused the lifters, have another cam on the way and will be reusing them again.

I have seen more poeple blowup LT1 by "upgrading" the oil pump than those who have had a stock pump fail and hurt the motor. The HV or HP pumps can lead to oil pump drive failure(not a concern if you swap to a HEI type distributor) or pump the pan dry.
ze doktor

314.88 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
Why on earth would he look to replace the oil pump and lifters two VERY reliable pieces. These are roller lifters and perfectly acceptable to reuse with a cam. I had60K or so on my motor when I cammed it and reused the lifters, have another cam on the way and will be reusing them again.

I have seen more poeple blowup LT1 by "upgrading" the oil pump than those who have had a stock pump fail and hurt the motor. The HV or HP pumps can lead to oil pump drive failure(not a concern if you swap to a HEI type distributor) or pump the pan dry.

the motor came out of a cop car, and i'm assuming when you swap an LT1 in you're going to run it hard like i am. while the motor is out of the car, change the lifters. new lifters can't hurt, and may very well save the motor. i also never said "upgrading" the oil pump. a stock oil pump with 0 miles and a new pickup would be a nice thing to have in my mind, especially when coming from a motor with which it's history you are unfamiliar with. cop cars get run hard and it's just piece of mind for me to have a new oil pump and new lifters since i run engines hard.

btw the opti-spark blockoff part # is 12367600 from GMPP and it's in the ballpark of $55

and allegedly you have to use a standard SBC balancer with it. i'm not sure if that's an accurate statement but it has been said that the LT1 balancer won't clear the plate.

Last edited by ze doktor on Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the most active members on THE 94-96 b-body forum, guys routinely cam cop cars over 100K without issue. On the lifters thing I think you are stuck in the 80s when flat tappets would fail. 90% of the lifter failures I have seen guys have were when they "upgraded" to the Comp "R"s the plunger retainer clip breaks and all hell breaks loose. Replacing the lifters wouldn't hurt but is a waste of money and effort.
camrat68

6300.08 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with 96capriceMGR on the subject of carbing an LT1 for those who don't want to redo the fuel system to run FI or who are afraid of the added complication of tuning the engine with a laptop. Anybody who has tuned this way would tell you that it's the way to go, but I can understand the reluctance that some may feel.

I do agree with 96capriceMGR on the subject of replacing the oil pump and lifters. I daily drive a 95 Caprice ex-cop car and race it during the Summer ever since the Advanced Induction cam/valve spring/ roller rockers upgrade at the 160,000 mark. The car just turned the 181,000 mark last week and is still running strong. And I'll guarantee you that I beat on the car far harder and far more consistently than the cops could have possibly done. Wink

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old man, way to bring back a 3 year old thread.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
Old man, way to bring back a 3 year old thread.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Confused
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might help to know that he and I are good friendsand that today is his birthday and he has over a decade on me. Trust me I say far meaner things to his face and he is a LOT bigger than me.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
Might help to know that he and I are good friendsand that today is his birthday and he has over a decade on me. Trust me I say far meaner things to his face and he is a LOT bigger than me.

I cracks me up how things are taken!!!!!
Happy birthday! Very Happy
camrat68

6300.08 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the second thing to go is the memory-I forget the first. Embarassed
I didn't catch the original post date. Oh well. Confused

I can't even blame it on the Jack and Coke's, they came after the post. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 2 LT1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: