Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

350 build up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsanyo

624.74 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: 350 build up Reply with quote

Ok I need to build a 350 for the street .I would like to get some ideas from yall .I seen in summit small blocks going for around $1,400 .I tried pricing one together and it cam to about $ 2,500 .Man I thought I could build one for less .I dont want to break the bank but I would like to get at least 275 hp with a lopy cam . Its going in a 82 z with 3.55 gears. Come on give this guy a Christmas presant and send him some info.
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donated some points; hope that helps its all i could give to your build up...............ohh yeah one more thing, put the money wear it matters most , pick up a decent head intake carb set up and you can make easy 300hp w/o the lumpy cam... I smell some vortec heads w/ perform rmp intake and a carter/edelbrock(700cfm)...
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at picking up a 87 or later TBI or Vortec(the gen1 type) junkyard engine these would be roller cam the Vortec heads flow very well but you might pay a premium at the boneyard then simply go with a mild cam. I have a ZZ4 crate motor cam in my car, before the headers it was putting 260hp to the wheels through a heavy drivetrain and high stall, that was with stock manifolds and stock dual cats, mellow as could be. The headers and no cats let you know it is not stock now though. I have an LT1 BUT the Vortec heads are copied after mine just standard coolant flow, this might help the LT1 make a little more power than a comparably equipped gen1 but not enough to make you fall below your goal.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 96capriceMGR, a late model Vortec headed engine at the junkyard might cost more, but it is probably the best deal. I built a 99 for my cousin in a 85 4 wheel drive with 3.08 gears and 33" tires that was all stock internal - cam included. It had the basic bolt ons like headers, good exhaust, performer intake, Edelbrock 600 carb and an HEI distributor. It was a fun street combo. Good torque and would make some decent h.p. with a simple cam change. 275 to 300 shouldn't be any problem. Clay
tirefryin_s10

1925.12 points

1981 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my motor this year consisted of the following and going offthe times/mph it ran it had to be making around 400-425 crank hp

stock crank/rods-reconditioned
block bored .030 over
cheapie keith black hyper pistons 10-1
vortec heads with heavy springs and roller rockers/decked to make 62cc chambers
performer rpm intake
comp xe274 hydraulic cam
holley 770 street avenger
mid length headers

the best part it lasted me 3 years OVER revving the hell out of it
it had stock bottom end everything down to the bolts and i always ran it to 6500 every pass.. oh wait i take that back the best part total invesment--------------$1700 canadian lol thats what like 10 bux american these days lol jk but still a very potent street motor for dirt cheap

on bald 235/60/15 street tires
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later blocks are roller and there is power in roller cams, by the time you got into the mid 90s most of the rotating assemblies were based on the LT1s powedered metal rods which GMPP rates to 450hp yet guys manage to put as much as 600 to the wheels through them with serious power adders and the cranks are very good as well and it is all fairly lightweight well not the valvetrain but the rotating assembly is.
You will pay more for a roller cam but it is perfectly acceptable to reuse the roller lifters. The centerbolt valvecovers, one piece rear main and one piece oilpan gasket all make for almost no oil leaks.

Even if you can't find a junkyard Vortec engine get a TBI one out of like an early 90s Caprice or Roadmaster or something that should be dirt cheap and then get a pair of the Vortec heads for it.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shearched for a Vortec motor for my sons 73 blazer and found one on ebay for $800.00 The 99 motor had 50,000 miles and we installed it for less than $2000.00 . He still drives the crap of it and he still has a whole lot of life left.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that with the injection or anything extra like that?
Reason I suggested maybe looking at a b-body motor then adding the heads is my b-body LT1 cost me $550 complete from TB the exhaust manifolds and I know where I can get a couple more for $400 apiece. Depending on location bet you could find one of these for under $300 and babied it's whole life and new Vortec heads are little more than $500 a pair.

People are just not interested in the b-body motors not even the LT1s it is due to not understanding what is really there, because once you look at the parts they are a great source.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was long block only. He is running a Rochester on a Proform Vortec intake.
mike jordan

1358.96 points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsanyo I will agree with all these guys. I am from the old school, I have built alot of carburated small blocks, but it`s hard to beat todays technoligy. My oldest son (16yrs.) is wanting me to build him a motor. Im looking at doing the same thing, going to the junk yard and geting a fuel-injected engine and starting from there. Then I will Have to seek the help and knowlage from these guys. If you just want to run a carburated engine I would just buy a crate engine from summit or jegs. Its hard to build a sb 350 that cheap any more, plus all the time you can save. What engine and transmission is in the car now?
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a decent core, you should be able to come up with a cheaper combo. Power house products has some very inexpensive rebuild kits. I would upgrade to moly rings and ARP rod bolts. I know the rebuild kit costs about 154 bucks. The upgrades are fairly cheap too. Spend a little time on the heads. This is the perfect time to learn how to pocket port heads. It really is very simple and only takes me about 30 minutes. Have the machine shop do a 3 angle valve job and back cut the valves. If you can find the 993 casting heads (very common head similar to the 487 or 493) they are pretty tough and should last a long time. Don't go crazy on the cam. I wouldn't go with anything bigger than about 224 @ .050.

If you aren't going to turn this engine higher that about 4500rpm, stick with the stock intake. Just find an aluminum intake. They almost give them away at the junk yard. These intakes are hard to beat under 3500rpm.

I am sure that someone is going to disagree with me but, you made it sound like you are trying to build a "cheap" reliable engine that makes decent power. I know for a fact that I can build my own engine like this one for less than 600 bucks. You should be able to find a 2 ps core for 200.00 or less.coppergmc
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerhouse product's site is [url]www.enginekits.com .[/url]
vettegofast

1049.94 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirefryin_s10 wrote:
my motor this year consisted of the following and going offthe times/mph it ran it had to be making around 400-425 crank hp

stock crank/rods-reconditioned
block bored .030 over
cheapie keith black hyper pistons 10-1
vortec heads with heavy springs and roller rockers/decked to make 62cc chambers
performer rpm intake
comp xe274 hydraulic cam
holley 770 street avenger
mid length headers

the best part it lasted me 3 years OVER revving the hell out of it
it had stock bottom end everything down to the bolts and i always ran it to 6500 every pass.. oh wait i take that back the best part total invesment--------------$1700 canadian lol thats what like 10 bux american these days lol jk but still a very potent street motor for dirt cheap

So its a 355 and you run 12.59's? Thats pretty impressive! I am planning on doing a similar build for my 84 Corvette. How streetable is you car? Gas milage?
vettegofast

1049.94 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coppergmc wrote:
Powerhouse product's site is [url]www.enginekits.com .[/url]

Do they have any dyno #'s for their kits?
66burban

1755.34 points

1966 Chevrolet Suburban

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rebuilt my 355, I got the master rebuild kit from maddog racing, it is an ebay store. It came with hyperutectic speed pro pistons, moly rings, choice of ten different clevite cams with lifters, melling hv pump, melling pickup tube, melleng chromoly pump driveshaft, felpro gasket set, clevite bearings, scat chromoly I beam rods with arp bolts, cloyes double roller 3-key timing set, brass freeze plug set, and all this was $488.00 shipped to my door. Then I ordered a scat 9000 series crank from midwest motorsports for $169.00, my crank and rods are rated for 7000 rpm and 550-600hp by scat, not a bad price for that capability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: