Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

using turbo on stock 350

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogus

2232.14 points

1976 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: using turbo on stock 350 Reply with quote

I have a 76 Malibu that wiegh about 3500lbs empty. the engine is as follows;
Chevy 350 ci (not overboared)
9:1 compression
Holley 600 cfm carb
PowerPlus Dual Plane intake
Shorty Headers w/daul 2.25 exhuast
th350 tranny

Makes aprx 300hp needs to make about 375hp and am thinking about adding a turbo charger - would prefer if I could scarf one from a salvage yard since budget is tight.

Any ideas on what vehicle came with a turbo that would swap over to my 350?
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you look for late 70's early 80's firebireds they had one. or you could look through and find a mitsubishi eclipse 2.0 turbo 90 and up to 99 i have no idea if the 2000 and up ones have any turbo models or not. but with a 350 you should hunt up 2 of the turbos so you can keep the exhaust pressures the same.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that modest power level I think you will be fine, as levels get higher though it would matter exactly what parts you were using.
I have given this idea some thought for my LT1 which is just the next generation 350 these were put together with very good parts and I know I could turn up the boost.
I would be interested in what anyone else has to add or comment on about donor vehicles, fully realizing if sourcing from a 4 banger car I would need to go twin.
How about using one from a smaller diesel?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone (I believe it was Doug242ti, can't remember his exact username for sure, maybe Smokemup can help me out) talking about using Holset turbos. I believe they are the factory installed units on Dodge turbo diesels. The only other thing I remember is a Mustang magazine doing a cheap twin turbo installation used two 2.3 liter units on a 5.0 liter application. They used shorty headers turned up toward the front, but as well as I can remember they had fuel system issues and never got it working perfect, but I do think it got into the 10's anyway. Good luck on the project though. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any stock turbo's you could use from a bone yard. For a single turbo system somthing like a T76 or for twin you'll need a TO4.
The_Raven

3655.66 points

1985 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I remember someone (I believe it was Doug242ti, can't remember his exact username for sure, maybe Smokemup can help me out) talking about using Holset turbos. I believe they are the factory installed units on Dodge turbo diesels. The only other thing I remember is a Mustang magazine doing a cheap twin turbo installation used two 2.3 liter units on a 5.0 liter application. They used shorty headers turned up toward the front, but as well as I can remember they had fuel system issues and never got it working perfect, but I do think it got into the 10's anyway. Good luck on the project though. Clay

This is quite accurate.

The T3 from the 2.3 will support approximatly 250 HP each, that was the most I got out of my 60 trim T3, from a T-coupe, on my V6. Two of them should feed a mild SBC up to about 450ish to 500ish HP, but the top end revs will be choked, I can garuntee that. The turbine wheel on the T-coupe turbo is only a stage 1 and has a rather small A/R ratio.

The Holset turbo from an early '90s Dodge pick up might be a good choice, I have one that I am contemplating using on my V6, I also have a GM 6.5 Diesel turbo I am looking at using, since the turbine is smaller and will probably spool a little quicker.

You'll be into a rather large turbo for a single application and will gain more than the 75 HP that you want, but who'd complain about that?

You probably won't need much gauge boost eaither to get to your goal, maybe 3 to 4 PSIG, depending on how your head and intake and cam combination is.

Remeber PSIG is just a measurment of restriction. Wink

"Speed costs, How fast do you want to go?"
The_Raven

3655.66 points

1985 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, check out www.turbogms.com (it's paired up with www.turbomustangs.com), and the Power adder forum at www.thirdgen.org, there are/were a few 'Bus there, one was twin M90 charged (Super coupe superchargers) on a stock bottom end 305.

There are many 350 owners there that seem to use a pair of T3s from Volvos and have good success with them

"Speed costs, How fast do you want to go?"
66burban

1755.34 points

1966 Chevrolet Suburban

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a little list of what is out there, for the power you are looking for pretty much any two of these, matched of course would make the power you want.
http://www.gamesbbs.com/~turbosi/junkyard_turbo_list.html
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: More Power Mr. Rogus Reply with quote

I know I am off topic but:

For only 75hp a NOS hat in the air cleaner with a 15 pound bottle in the trunk would give the most bang for the buck. I think the word cheap and turbocharging is an oxymoron.

I readily admit the best power adder on the planet is a turbocharger. That said, it requires a lot of plumbing, control circuitry (waste gates, pop-offs, water injection), and an inter-cooler to do it right. On top of that I believe Rogus was running a carb which implies a blow through system, which you won't find readily in a bone yard.

Big Dave
cobblemaster

1528.60 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I remember someone (I believe it was Doug242ti,

Doug sold his red car and is working on a SEMA car, so he has been busy. So have I. I will tell him to stop in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: