Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Some SBC NEWBIE QUESTIONS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Some SBC NEWBIE QUESTIONS Reply with quote

OK here's the deal
1. 1990 Chevrolet 350 (pulled from a Cadillac Fleetwood)
2. The Engine is TBI equiped
4. Center Bolt Heads

I plan on converting this engine to "Old school" Meaning Removing the TBI unit and going with a 4bbl,
Remove Smog pump, Power Steering, etc. As well as TAKING IT OFF THE DANG BLASTED COMPUTER

Questions are as follows:
1. What all is involved in switching the TBI Out? Just a special Intake?

2. Will Older style 350 Heads bolt up to this engine block?
If so that will allow me to run pretty much any Intake Correct?

3. What type of Distributor will I need to go with? will an Older Style Vaccum Advance type work?

4. Accessory Brackets Can I use Serpentine Brackets off of another engine I am pretty sure 4.3 V6 Brackets bolt up as I think have seen done on some 350's

I basicly just want a decent looking engine that runs good and sounds good without breaking the bank. Not Racing This one

I would just go with an older 350 to start with but the PRICE WAS RIGHT on this one PLEASE HELP
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have A LOT of reading to do, the "newer" engines like that actually offer a signifigant advantages over the older stuff not the least of which is it is setup and has a roller cam. On the heads your best bet is actually going NEWER the Vortec heads cleanly outflow even the best big valve older stuff and cost little more than a full rebuild on old outdated likely cracked crap. They do require their own intake or drilling an older one to fit though. The stock heads you have are probably not half bad and have a few intake choices.
On the distributor an HEI will be perfect.

Don't be so fast to dump stuff just because it is new or had a computer attached, technology has made today the true horsepower era, even if not racing the newer parts offer reliability not found before.
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several Intake choices huh? THAT'S A RELIEF!!! Is the Computer required for an HEI Distributor? I may just Refurb the Stock heads. I am also going to upgrade to a mild cam.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What all is involved in switching the TBI Out? Just a special Intake?
Yes.

2. Will Older style 350 Heads bolt up to this engine block?
If so that will allow me to run pretty much any Intake Correct?
Listen to 96capriceMGR.

3. What type of Distributor will I need to go with? will an Older Style Vaccum Advance type work?
Go with an HEI.

4. Accessory Brackets Can I use Serpentine Brackets off of another engine I am pretty sure 4.3 V6 Brackets bolt up as I think have seen done on some 350's.
I think so. Mine are off a 90 Formula 305 but the 4.3 is the same as a small block with two cylinders chopped off.

As 96capriceMGR said. Do some reading on your engine build. Things to consider are compression ratio, DCR, and quench height. This doesn't cost anymore but it can make a very nice difference in how the engine runs.[/quote]
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend just put in a 1990 gm 350 in his camero and had very few problems asside from his intake was for an older 350 so he had to modify the intake slightly to make its center bolts on the intake to work. and it should be on the road tomorrow with no problems
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worthy THIS SITE IS GREAT THANKS GUYS I'm not worthy
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I have to add is to check on the intake ports of the heads. If they follow the TBI heads on trucks of that era, then they have half of the intake port blocked off to promote high swirl. Good for efficiency and not half bad for torque, but they start wheezing pretty quick in the rpm range. Clay
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned wanting to do a cam. Give us some more info and I bet we can help you with that too.
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's the deal, I want it to sound real good and have a little to back it up. It will be hauling a LOT OF weight. I know you guys don't wanna hear this... But it is a Lowrider/Hopper The frame is FULLY BOXED ON ALL 4 Sides with 3/16" steel so it will be pretty dang heavy This is NOT I REPEAT YOUR AVERAGE RAGGED OUT POS LOWRIDER. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPO,
This is the Delta 88 you are talking about right? The car mentioned in the other post about the 700R4 trans stuff? That car is heavy to begin with, what do you think the final finshed weight is going to be?
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see 14 Group 31 Batteries
14x65=910lbs.

4 Hydraulic pumps With Fluid
30x4=120lbs.

Misc 80lbs.

The frame alone appx.
800lbs.

A rough estimate would be 1910lbs PLUS WHATEVER THE BODY, ENGINE TRANNY AND INTERIOR WEIGH

I KNOW I will need a Stall converter for the tranny as well as a hefty COOLER People do this stuff all the time so I know it can be done I'm just asking what the Best and most economical way to go about it after all you guys are the ENGINE PROS
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes this is the same car
1985 OLDSMOBILE DELTA 88 Royale Brougham 2 door
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an 82 Delta 88 2 door a few years back had that monster of a 4.3l V8 with a 2 barrel Sad .
My car has a raceweight of about 4350-4400lbs, daily trim is 4400+ so maybe I can help on the cam selection. Now I have an LT1 but thewse are VERY similar to the engine you picked up, matter of fact we would pick from the same list of cams.
I have a ZZ3 crate motor cam which is 208/221 .474/.510 on a 112 may not help you directly but will help others who want to comment. Now my cars having an LT1 has ultra short intake runners yet still torque has peaked by 4100rpms, a dual plane intake like you should run will lower that rpm and signifigantly boost torque at the same time, you will not have to ever hit 6000rpms and if you set the idle to a stockish level this will lope some. I have my car tuned to keep it quiet and it is only noticable to a trained ear.
I have a 2800 stall Edge 9.5" lockup converter which I can't say enough good about, the drivability is great just last month I towed a small fishing boat on a 500+mile weekend with mild 3.42 gears outback and a 27" tire. Before the recent addition of headers it ran 13.9 in warm weather so even though it is a mild combo it moves well, the wife will still take it for groceries and I can still drive it in Wisconsin winters. At the track mosty cars see my tailights for at least the first eigth even if they cross the finishline 6-8mph faster than I do. The lowend torque of this cam with a drivetrain setup to use it combine with a chassis that plants it well makes this car come out of the hole very well. One nice thing about this cam other than the characteristics is it being a GMPP cam is relatively cheap. Not that that is really a criteria for cam picking but can help sway you if all out performance is not a goal like in your case.
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting verrrrrrrrry innnnnteresting Thanks guys keep it coming Very Happy
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a 600lb+ car... you may wish to consider keeping some sort of fuel injection and going forced induction, Or at the very least, try to track down some people with trucks, and see what they have done mods wise, alot of the heavy duty trucks push close to 3 tons.... Or if you don't like that route, maybe even a 383?
Though I've driven 350 powered 5000+ pound cars, and they still have that initial kick off the line, they are by no means quick....
Sorry if this is a lil hectic, I'm trying to pay attention in school at the same time
Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: