Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

TECH. QUESTION =FUEL CELLS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike jordan

1358.96 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: TECH. QUESTION =FUEL CELLS Reply with quote

I HAVE AN 1988 CAMARO PRO STREET CAR. DO TO THE HATCH-BACK, AND NO FIRE WALL IN THE BACK,MY FUEL TANK NEEDS TO BE MOUNTED IN A BOX. MY TANK IS MADE OUT OF STAINLESS, SO WOULD I STILL NEED TO COVER THE BOTTEM OF THE TANK? THE TOP OF THE TANK IS COVERD AND SEALED.
jonny_b

5693.36 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the bottom of the tank?

If the bottom of the tank is inside the car then yes, your fuel tank needs to be completely sealed off from the passanger compartment and needs a vent going to out side the vehicle.

If the bottom of the tank is outside the car I don't see any reason why you would have to cover it.

CAPS LOCK is unessessary, please refrain from using it for an entire post

mike jordan

1358.96 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom of the tank is below the floor,and is outside the car.I had a four gall. tank in the car when I installed the rear clip and tubs. I used an older NHRA rule book, so I put the tank in a box (top and bottom). I resently installed my stainless tank which is aprox. 11 gall.. I was able to reuse the top of my old box, but the bottom part of the box is not deep enough now. Is the rule book reffering to plastic fuel sells or just all fuel tanks? I just hate to have to make another box. As for using cap locks that is a bad habit of mine....
jonny_b

5693.36 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that since the bottom of the tank is outside the car, than as long as you have a good air tight seal between your box top and the floor than I think you'd be fine. Also I would make sure the box is solidly mounted (enough to retain any fire or explosions).

One thing to think about when dealing with rule books, is if its safe than you're ok, and I mean SAFE not just, well this looks good.

NHRA is only trying to prevent accidents, they want fuel fumes outside of the car so any explosions that may occur will be outside.

you could always email [ jmiller@nhra.com ] in the tech dept. they handle any general rules questions, you could ask them about your situation to see what they thing, but I'd think you're ok.

mike jordan

1358.96 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny-b hey thanks for your help, I`ll check out that web site..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: