Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Oil pump?? What do you use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonny_b

5693.36 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Oil pump?? What do you use? Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding my 350 and I'm wondering if I should just get a stock pump, a high volume pump or a high pressure pump? The 350 is a street/strip engine as follows:
10:1 comp.
solid cam
Trick flow heads w/roller rockers
Edelbrock RPM air gap
Manual trans
and will run a max of 6800 RPM

I've read before that high volume pumps can pump too much oil into the the top of the head and not leave enough in the sump for recirculation, but I have also seen oil restrictors that limit oil to the top of the head.

What is everyones thoughts on this subject??
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine is going to see only street use just go with a good quality stock replacement pump from a company like melling. Stay away from the high volume pumps, they are more for racing where you have an oil pan with extra volume. Like you said they will pump the pan dry. Stay away from oil restrictors for street use.They are tricky and I don't even like them for racing.

Hope this helps
Good luck

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil pump I'm running in my car is a stock replacement oil pump. The engine builder who did the machine work said the same thing as blown65 said, the high volume oil pump isn't required. I'll bet that you might lose power due to the extra oil splashing around as well, never mind pumping the pan dry (then you really lose power!).
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k., I'll step out on a limb and be the whipping boy here. I do like a high volume pump for any kind of performance buildup, but I don't think you will have problems with a standard either. I don't see how they will pump a pan dry since any extra flow is pumped through the pop off in the pump and never leaves the pan. What leaves the pan would be determined by bearing clearances and what the lifter/rocker arm assembly would allow to flow at a particular pressure. If the pressures were the same for a standard and high volume, then no more would leave the pan, however more oil would be pumped and would cost horsepower. I don't know if this extra pumping could cause some aeration problems, but I have had good luck with the Melling M55HV. I would like to see a dyno test on power consumption just for curiosity. The only reason I guess I use a high volume is because I feel better with it in there, pressure is higher at idle (not that it really matters, but I feel better) and I feel like it is insurance. Just my 2 cents, Clay.
pro60chevy

16.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with you Clay. I have always used high volume oil pumps in EVERYTHING I have built. The high pressure pump is useless. Go with the melling M55HV. There's another .02 cents, now we are up to .04.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay you are not out on a limb alone-

I run HV pumps in all my Chevies, for basicly the exact reasons you give and plus some.

Small block main bores and rod bearing housings are almost always large from the factory, main bores usually being 001-0015 over the high tolerance. I have a line bore machine now, and line bore (hone) all of my small blocks to within specs. But when I had to farm this out it was not doable to tack on $175 to every small block build, especially stockers where there was a budget to meet. And like you mention, it might run fine and have a pressure drop at idle, but a paying customer doesn't like to see that. Add to that the guys that throw 10-30 in there, especially down here in 98* summers and you're just asking for bearing issues.

So for 10 bucks or so that problem is solved with no worries. I can assure that a M55HV does not pump the pan dry, the lifters and pushrods also meter the oil to the heads. If you are running roller rockers and feel better restricting flow to them, I don't like how small the restriction in the Morosos are, I drill them out a little, now you have the best of both worlds.

As far as HP loss using the HV pump, yes there is some of course, how much I don't know, but I really doubt it is even measurable on an average street machine. Bill Jones might know, and I know he is from the stock pump crowd, there is nothing wrong with that at all, he has his reasons, I'm sure it involves tweaking every last drop of HP out of it. And who knows someday I might join him. But currently all my Chevies get the HV for the reasons I have given, and I have NO bottom end problems, NO low pressure issues (that haven't been traced to a user error) and so I have no reason to mess with what works for me. Hanz

jonny_b

5693.36 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the input guys, its been alot of help. now all I need to do is make the decision. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: