Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Help with idle problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Ok !!! You can check everyting about the motor and when you put it in gear it dies? The converter is crap. No more said on this post. I am not trying to be meen but straight forward. That is the problem. Like my first post I stated converter or Major vacuum leak. Hope it helps, Adam

People are just throwing out ideas trying to help. State your opinion and leave it at that.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stated in one of my other posts that I agreed with everybody. I was mainly talking about the stall converter. I thought that increasing the initial and total timing would help the performance and idle quality. Copper
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I pi$$ of more people. I apologize about being to straight forward. The converter will solve you're problem. I agree with Clay and everyone else about starting from scratch. That is usually the best but if you don't know it can be you're worst enemy. I will try to be more user friendly in the future. Adam
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, don't worry about it, I don't think it bothered anybody. I didn't point out that I thought it needed a converter in my first post in addition to the other things. Later, Clay.
mike jordan

1358.96 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Will not idle in gear Reply with quote

I totaly agree on geting a diffrent coverter.The cam I have is simmaler to yours, Iam running a B&M holeshot 3000 and it still pulls the idle down some (not to bad). Your 107 centerline will also cause you to have low vacume at an idle, witch with not enough stall can make it alot harder to idle
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a similar problem, although my car doesnt stall, it bucks forward and wants to take off if i have the brake applied, i would go for a 3000 stall converter, thats the smae thing im doing, and it was recommended by a lot of people.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shouldn't post but. My thought for a street car is on stall the car should not move until you stab the throttle. I have run enough converters to make me sick. Everyone wants a drive able car but hates the dreaded stall. My point is the correct stall will never kill the motor at idle and when you put it into gear you should not see the motor lower more than 100 RPM . I have always run solid cams and always had problems with the hole-shot and superholeshot converters. I went beyond and got an in house made converter. It worked fine until I put slicks on the car. Ran 12.96@ 96 with the trans not shifting into 3rd gear. Come to find out the converter puked and took out the forward pack on the trans one more time. Never ran the car after. Too bad the 72 Nova is worth a ton of money these days.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 3200 stall converter (it's advertised as a 3,600) and it isn't enough for my car because I can not launch with roll control. My BBC motor will push the car through the lights if I try and get near the flash point. I have to let it idle (which I have enough stall converter for thankfully), and punch it on green. No one makes a higher stall converter for the 4L80 E trans that I run, or I'd get one. (People think cause I'm old I'm just napping at the light).

Big Dave
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I installed the converter today, what a difference, I now have a nice idle. I have another problem now. If you sit in gear for a while 2 maybe 3 min without going anywhere the car seems to load up (rich) and the idle comes way down and it wants to stall. If I give it a little throttle it clears up. This thing is driving me crazy!
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot_Rod_Mike wrote:
Ok, I installed the converter today, what a difference, I now have a nice idle. I have another problem now. If you sit in gear for a while 2 maybe 3 min without going anywhere the car seems to load up (rich) and the idle comes way down and it wants to stall. If I give it a little throttle it clears up. This thing is driving me crazy!

Now you have to go back to what Copper and Clay said. You fixed the problem but have other problems with the carb. I would start at PSI to the carb 4lbs max. If ok the needle and seat need to be in the garbage and a new one installed. It sounds as if the thing is leaking past the seat. Adam
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Adam. I will do that tommorrow and let you know how it turns out. I figured it was a carb deal, just wanted a second opinion.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of something today on the drive back home. You need to see what you're vacuum is in gear. The needles are on a spring that opens on vacuum. You could be opening the needles at idle just a bit and that will cause a problem. I have in the past, gotten the kit they sell with different springs and needles to tune the carb and it works very well. I think you said you have an electric pump. If so you can also leave it on without the motor running to see if you have fuel seeping. Adam
85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much stall did you go with this time? Cool Glad to hear the 1st problem is fixed!
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am pulling my hair out now! I have 5psi of fuel pressure, I adjusted the floats, I installed weaker springs in my metering rods and there is 7in of vacumme. My timing is at 20 initial and the idle is set to 950rpm out of gear and goes to about 750 in gear. If the car sets and idles for awhile, say a minute or two, it starts to load down really bad and will eventually die. Even if I take it out of gear it wont recover unless I stab the throttle. Then it is ok. Also when I drive it and hit the throttle it will stumble then go. I checked the accelerater pump and it is ok. I am kinda leaning toward the distributor. Maybe the weights are sticking or something? Oh yea the converter is a 10" 2500 stall.
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out the problems once I stepped away and had a cold beer! The loading up problem during idle is exactly what Adam said, the needle and seat need to be replaced, I have a set on order, Thanks for the insite Adam!! The stumbling came from the weaker metering rod springs, I just increased the spring size and that went away. WEW, this just about caused me to get taken away in a tight white jacket Shocked Once I install the new needle and seat set this thing should run like a scalded dog! Thanks to all for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: