Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

350 cam selection help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have told him to scroll to the bottom and check out the lobe sep info. This is actually a motorcycle site that I found a while back. All the camshaft info still applies though.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the LSA thing wide can mean smoother but if you go too far it hurts midrange torque in a huge way. Read a Vizard article on it, most off the shelf stuff is already a little too wide to keep customers happy when the insist on too big a cam. On the fuel injected side of this we see guys wanting to go 114, the usual 112 we are usually offered is alread a bit too wide, the custom heads and cam guys marketting too us are going 108-110 sure they chop but they are delivering 400+ RWHP though automatics on stock 350ci bottomends, our pcms max out at 7200rpms so we are staying below that too and still getting those power figures. Now this is roller cams but still basically a smallblock Chevy. Heck there are guys with aftermarket head strokers with 114lsa cams making just 420rwhp when stock bottom bottom cars with properly ground cams are topping 400rwhp. Moral of the story is if you want it mellower go smaller not wider. Ideal on a carbed smallblock chevy is more like 106-108 than the 112 often offered these days. Boost or juice changes things.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sight is the best I have seen to explain the worst part of an engine. The cam is the most changed thing that has been done with an engine. Every one has a take on cams but with no reason. I believe a 106 to 110 is a good choice. People will differ with me I think because of the Injected cars with MAF that hate those numbers. But on a carb things are different. The lower LSA would help a Carb and hurt a MAF because it relies solely on vacuum and nothing more. If I am wrong I would like to know because the more you know the less 6' under you are. Adam
oregonchevelle

2194.26 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I may just stay with the present cam and a gear change to 4.10s and see how she does? The heads are coming out sometime to get the valves and guides checked then button her all back up.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice Oregon!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: