Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Which route to make power?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Which route to make power? Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing some mods to my engine or either getting some wheels, heh. Which route should i go to make some power. A part of me wants to drop Weaind 142 on my bascially stock 350. I Really hate to tear apart my perfectly running 350 which doesn't puff a hint of smoke. (previous owner SAID it had 10k since rebuild when i bought) if ture i should be at about 20k. Which route should i go? Vortec heads, rpm air gap and a 268 Xtreme Energy Cam(224/230)(.47/.4Cool or should i be different and get the Weaind 142 Blower(using stock cam). Gas milage isn't really a concern, I just really drive my chevelle around town to work, school and back. I just want a serious street machine. I have a 12bolt with 3.73 and posi and headers. Might come out a little cheaper with the blower vs the head/cam/intake swap, and also less work. I have a Cowl hood, so clearence isn't a issue. 76cc #624 heads on the engine now. I have never had a performance engine so i dunoo how much power is too much or how they respond so all comments are welcome. =)
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really looking to spend over 1700
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks or horsepower .... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think! HORSEPOWER! Mr. Green

If you want the muscle car look then nothing like a roots blower under the hood.

What you need to decide is which route do you want to go, high or low compression, boost or no boost. For me I like the idea of turbo first then nitrous. I'd go with the vortec heads (with as much compression as pump gas will stand) / cam / exhaust. Then save your pennies for Nitrous.
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i just wanted the simplest thing i could addon for my 1700 range. Always like the idea of a blower, i'm not a nos man, pretty much only street use, i may get into racing it later on. I guess i felt buying the weiand 142 would give me a greater range for more power later on. Later on meaning when i get more money to re do the bottom end of the 350 and get better heads, i felt the blower setup would give more streetable power range with the most power. What you think, or you still for the cam and vortecs for the 1700 price range. I want somthing that will have lots of potenitial for a high horsepower street car. I dunoo guess a blower looks so kool. =) And i assume i could run a little boost with my 76cc headed 350 as of now, dunoo if it has dish or flattop pistons. How long do blowers usually last under non race conditions? (just haulin ass on the street)?
Steve from Pa

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaG , you mention you may get into racing later, I don't know if your talking bracket racing or something else, but if brackets are, the goal I'd forget the blower altogether, you'll never get a blown motor to be consistent with out spending a ton of money on it. The nice thing about the juice is you can drive around with a mild manered ride, and then turn it into a animal in a few seconds(only when you need it), but it won't turn many win lights on at the drag strip ether, but it's cheaper to get into. If it was me I'd thing about maybe 100hp of shot now and save your pennys to build a big hammer of a motor later. Maybe a big small block or my favorite a big block, the prices of stroker cranks aftermarket blocks longer rods and very good heads have came down the last couple of years. It's now very easy to build a 500+ hp big cube small block, but in my opinion if you looking for more than 600hp a B. block is the safest way to go, not to say that you can't build a 900hp SBC but I think at that point you might as well have built a BBC for the cost of the stuff at that level.
Hope this helps, Steve

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaG ... What's does the car have in it now (motor set up, suspension, driveline, brakes) ? How much does it weigh (with you in it)? What is the goal of the car, do you want to run 14's, 13's, 12's, 11's, 10's?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: To blow or not to blow? Reply with quote

I have played around with blowers and nitrous and for now, I would lean toward the blower. It would give you power anytime, without worrying about bottle pressure, turning the bottle on, filling the bottle, etc. One problem though, the blower you picked is a good street blower, but may not be able to keep up later with heads, cam, more rpm potential, etc. I tried a blow through carb with a centrifugal and had fuel distribution problems but it was a blast to drive. Have since gone back to nitrous. If you are going to keep a quick street car, pick the blower, if you are going to seriously upgrade the engine later, I would pick the nitrous. As far as blower life, I think the Eaton superchargers on factory engines are a roots style and are rated for a 200,000 mile life. Let us know how it turs out.

Clay
Chevelle70

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: go blower Reply with quote

Hey man. what year chevelle? Chevelles are the best ya know. (evil grin)
I would go with the blower, but first you need to know your compression ratio. you need about 8:1 for a roots 6-71 blower motor. Your heads should work fine, I would buy a harder valve spring so the intake valve doesn't bounce off the seat. 4 bolts are always better but a 2 bolt will live. The crank is always better if its steel, but the blower acks as a cossion so a stock crank will also live. The most important part is to make sure that your compression ratio is not over 8:1. If it is you will run into "ping" which will kill your motor. I would go with a blower because there is nothing like 300 hp with out pushing the pedal.

Pxlxaxn

pressure=the best way to make power (blower is an air presher maker)

length of stroke=is about a 10 % gain in hp.

ariea of the bore=or size of the piston .30 .40 .60 over is about a 10% gain.

number of times the engine turns=or rpm is a very expencive hp gain.

I would go with the blower, once you go blowen you will never go back!
RaG

296.96 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't really know the compression, it cam from a early 80s car, so i doubt it has over 8.5:1, it has 76cc stock heads. I think i'm pretty set on the blower now, just doing some measuring to ensure it will fit under the stock SS cowl hood. And i'm looking at the weiand 142 not the 6-71.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: