Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Got an engine question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Got an engine question Reply with quote

When i bought my motor i was not given a very good description of statistics. I have a 1976 chevy 350. basically i was wondering if anyone can find me a list of stock statistics, like the size heads used, etc...

The mods are rebuilt 20k ago, bored .060 over, cam duration in the 280's, 750cfm intake, im pretty sure stock heads but may be ported, not sure on that, and long tube headers, with true dual 3 inch exhaust, dynomax bullets. any estimates on horsepower and torque ratings? thank you any help.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to really know what you have is to take it all apart. When it was rebuilt, there could have been all kinds of different modifications. There could be flat top pistons and 882 heads with a Elgin cam. Who knows?
nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding on to what coppergmc said.

in 1976 Chevy didn't build 350 sbc for one model line they came in Corvette's, camaro's, truck, ect. So there are alot of different 1976 350's with different camshafts, compression ratio's, and heads.

If you want to get a rough idea on your engine you can pop the valve covers and look up the casting #. You may also take a degree wheel and a dial indicator to figure out the cam specs. Check the cranking compression... this will help you verify the condition of the engine and you can also get a rough idea of the compression ratio.

Here are a few sites that may be helpful:
For casting # info
http://www.mortec.com/

For Cyl head flow:
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Chevy

For cranking compression/ compression ratio calculator
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/index.php
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: ok ty Reply with quote

ok thank you for now, tomorro i am going to get down all of the casting numbers, and i will definitely get back to you.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: casting numbers Reply with quote

I have only got one casting number at the moment, because i pretty much know the other information. the casting number in between the rockers is 3327185. if anyone can find me the information on this head i would really apreciate it.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those heads have 70cc chambers and 1.72 intake and 1.5 exaust vales. They were commonly found on 69-76 307, 327, and 350 engines. See if you can find the casting numbers from the block. They are on the back, driver's side flange of the block above where the trans bolts.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

would it be advised that i get a set of heads with 2.08/1.60 valves? it is a performance application. if so, should i get aluminum or cast iron. too crappy outside 2 day to get the rest of the casting numbers, but will soon.
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALuminum is lighter, usually newer/slightly better castings, bigger valves usually rock.
I dunno,
Something like that.

85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school Iron makes more hp/last longer then aluminum heads which basic just saves some weight an better cooling.... Atleast thats what i have learned for the most part.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.05 intakes are about as big as I would go. Anything bigger and you may have valve shrouding issues. What are you planning to do with the engine? Are you going to drive it on the street alot or is it track only? I wouldn't put any more head on it than the bottom end or your purse can handle. If you are going to purchase a set of heads, think about what you are going to do with this engine later. You might end up wanting to stroke it later or something.

There are two advantages to running aluminum heads. One is the weight factor and the other is ease of repair. If you get a small crack in an iron head, you can usually pin it and change out the valve seats. If there is major damage to the iron head and welding is needed, you better get ready to spend some major money for repairs. Cast iron is a bastard to weld. Aluminum doesn't cost nearly as much to weld and is a whole lot easier. copper
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

the motor is all top end. high duration cam, single plane minifold, etc.. i want it to be strip ready, but as friendly as possible on the roads. if i were to buy heads, i would probably go with cast iron.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some Dart Iron Eagle 180s. We are having to use them on the dirt track cars here. Some of the guys are running Bowtie Vortec heads. The Vortec heads work good as long as you don't run them hot. Even with the thicker bowtie decks, they are prone to crack. It might have something to do with milling the snot out of them. We get about 400 more rpm out of the 180 Dart head and haven't had any problems so far. The 180s we use are 49cc heads with a couple of light (just for cleaning) surfacing.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

yea but ide have to get new pistons if i got those heads. goin from 70cc to 49cc would do some damage. i was thinkin of getting 70cc cast iron heads, maybe 64cc, but with the 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell these heads in 64cc too. I wasn't talking about you getting the 49cc heads. I was just rambling.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

yea we are looking into it now, pretty solid idea what heads we are getting. 67cc combustion chamber cast iron head, 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust, assembled for $750 so thats not that bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: