Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Did you break it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Did you break it? Reply with quote

One way of learning is in the School of Hard Knocks. I am an alumnus of that august institution. If there was a way of breaking it I probably did. Two of my most spectacular, yet totally unexpected failures involved the original 12 bolt installed in my car and a Muncie wide box.

Prior to breaking my rear end I had thought the concept of a gas tank shield as nothing more than just a thinly disguised ballast. Then one fine Friday night at the now defunct Twin Cites Dragway in Oldsmar, Florida (a small town on the northern backwaters of Tampa Bay; founded upon an old rubber plantation started by none other than Ransom Olds, of Oldsmobile fame) I launched the spool out the back of my '68 Baldwin Motion Camaro doing a burn out.

By launching I mean it sheared both rear retention caps (or bolts or both) and both axles simultaneously; such that the spool and ring gear exited the housing leaving a noticeable crease in my gas tank as my spool bounded back and hit the fence. Thankfully the gas tank never leaked and my car spent the night at the track watching the races from the tower staging area.

The other, I don't believe it can happen, occurred at Tampa Drag strip (and borrow pit) in Sefner, Florida. Sefner was Don Garlits' home town even though it didn't even qualify as a wide spot on the road when he lived here. It was the closest 1/4 mile strip to the East (Brandon) side of Tampa (Oldsmar was on the west (Town 'n 'Country) side). Today it is a large distribution warehouse for a furniture retailer, but it was the most heavily attended track in the county on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday.

Anyway to make a short story long, I was staged and ready to go. Lights came down and I side stepped the clutch at 7,200 in my Camaro which now was equipped with a tunnel ram and two 660's, solid roller and Vertex mag (the usual daily driver if the day happened to be Sunday). Revs went up but I didn't move. I thought I had forgotten to put it in gear so I put it back in first and tried again. Nothing. Motor revved up and down, transmission seemed to have all the gears. I assumed I had broken another rear end (though I usually feel a shudder when it breaks and it usually makes some noise when you try and move it).

Turns out this time I had broken the transmission case, spitting out the cluster gear along with about half the case. The shifter was still attached (to the broken half) but nothing else was. I borrowed a tranny and went home, as one didn't leave valuable parts lying around in this neck of woods.

So what have you learned not to do over time? I would be interested in hearing your war stories. Are your old haunts still up and running or have they all been paved over as in Florida?

Big Dave
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stories. Always interesting to hear war stories. Still none here. Too young and not enough power to cause any major damage. Everything else, I've just been lucky. When I'm about 40 I should be able to tell you a couple Confused
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew second gear outta my freshly rebuilt th350.... like... four blocks after taking off... My brother was all like " ok Tim, drive it easy for the first few days" then I peeled out the parking lot Embarassed
Went round the corner, gunned it, felt like a shift, flared up a lot, then shifted to third....... ran it for a good couple months......
then I broke the forward sprag and had no first.....
Me and transmissions are good friends... my cutlass has had 5 transmissions in it...

mchat

1658.30 points

2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a few pictures: Laughing

An 8000rpm pressure plate decided that it didn't like revving to 10000 rpm when I missed 2nd. Previously I had the rev limiter set to 8500 rpm, but we had disabled it while at the dyno during some troubleshooting. I have since replaced the clutch w/ a 14000rpm SFI certified unit, but haven't finished everything else that needs to be done before it can hit the track again.

This is what happens when you run a bit too much boost (30psi) one too many times. When I pulled the engine apart, every remaining rod was bent (#4 was particularly bad) and 2 of the remaining pistons had broken ring lands.

The SRT-4 is getting a new engine that will be built to handle more boost and nitrous than I care to throw at it. I'll be looking to run deep, deep into the 10's w/ my daily driver, once the new engine is in and everthing is tuned.
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was some serious carnage. To refresh my memory; where in relation to the passenger compartment was the pressure plate situated?

I can remember the time Don Garlits came back to the speed shop after getting out of the hospital. He was quite convinced he would never race again (at least till he got out of rehab).

After gimping around long enough though he got the itch to go back. I was quite convinced he was crazy at that point, after sacrificing half his foot to a clutch explosion (you know how guys are, let's see it Don).

Well he then rolled out a rear engine dragster, rather than get a matching set of foot wear.

Big Dave
mchat

1658.30 points

2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clutch and flywheel on my cars sit right about dead center in the car. Luckily, the differential pretty much shields the driver's compartment. I had plenty of dents and dings in the hood but none in the fire-wall. The car was only supposed to run low 12's, so it didn't have any kind of shield. When it goes back together, though, it will have a shield.
Big Dave

120504.72 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety was one of the hidden reasons for my post to begin with!

Big Dave (Do as I say, not as I do. AKA Bad Example)
85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some pics of one of my mistakes... I have lots blown up 700r4 more times then i can remember, but i have it built pretty nicely now! Took a few tries along with 10bolts but now im runnin a 12bolt and so far so good! Blew a 350 in my 4x4 but it was going out anyways and it was like 7 years ago. Not blown a motor sense knock on wood! Lucky me never broke on the track yet but on the hwy 3 times now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: