Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

sbc 383
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_G

1440.12 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
As long as the valve to piston clearance is still sufficient 4 degrees will help the low end but not fix his problem. I still feel the static compression is to low for the cam he is running. I can't see any good cylinder pressure by advancing that cam with his compression.

Got my Comp. Cams solid roller last week..242/248 at 110 lsa. I'm gonna switch to a .028 head gasket, down from .039. My pistons are .009 below the deck. This will bring up static compression and give .037 quench. After a few repairs, I will dyno it and see where I am...

disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost the same combo but a larger cam a bit more compress...388ci 11.25:1 272@.050...(v.jr heads and intake) I dont think that cam is that big.. but I think that the comp your running is a little low.. And I do agree that the numbers are a little bit lower then i expected... The one thing that kinda stood out is the carb size... The victor Jr heads flow increadible numbers though those 218cc intake runners and they like big carbs... I used to have a healthy 355 w/10.5:1 that had a 750cfm on top that made 402hp to the wheels on a 100hp shot off the bottle. I put in my new combo w/ my old carb and I was a little disapointed with the way the car performed so i sent the carb to C&J engineering in whittier, Ca, $450 later I had a 950cfm with adjustible air bleeds and what i thought was the best mod; the quick opening secondarys witch really brought out the grunt out of the little stroker... unfortuntlly I dont have any dyno results to compare but I would have to say the differnce is night and day... Just dont be so quick to blame the cam.. high performance motors need precision tuned carbs, it does make a difference.....
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Devil's in the details Reply with quote

I built my motor with zero (well almost zero, measures -0.0006") deck height to be able to control detonation if I ran into a problem with pump gas. By swapping out a head gasket I have the ability to tune compression, while maintaining quench. Similarly I chose the Holley Pro 4150 HP 830 cfm annular discharge double pumper carb because it is as tunable as a carb can be. The distributor has adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance, coupled with a digital ignition box. Same with the cam and timing set. I have a Cloyes infinitely adjustable timing set with a three piece CompCams timing cover.

The key to any high performance engine is the ability to get and maintain control over everything going on in the engine. You must also know how to tune, which is why the pro's fight over their crew chiefs. We can help each other in this regard with our own experience. We need an accurate description of the problem and/or goal to be achieved. With that I am confident from reading the responses from the older members that there isn't a problem that can't be solved (except for lack of funds; were we are all on our own I am afraid to say).

Hate to sound preachy but its late at night, and it's past my bed time.
Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice on quench. That makes a world of difference with out doing anything. Keep us notified.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked and it looks like you will have just over 11:1 compression. The cam choice should work great straight up. Good luck!
joey

380.38 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: 383 stroker Reply with quote

Consider using Dart Pro 1 heads, in most of the combo's we have built with the small cc head and the large runners should get you closer to the 400 ft lbs of torqe. we just dynoed a similar combo in an impalla that we built. the horse power was around 330 rwhp. the torque was 450 !! joey
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads are just as good as Dart. Don't start parts swapping to fix a problem you have. The cam choice should be the best thing that happened with the heads. Those heads are not (with out porting) are not too big period!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: