Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

new cam for 305

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsanyo

624.74 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: new cam for 305 Reply with quote

well its a new year and since I can't get a 350 built right away ,I am going to try and get this 305 a little stronger out of the hole. are there any suggetions ? I think a new cam that will match the edelbrock rpm manifold will help .Its a stock 1982 z 28 with headers and a 600cfm edelbrock carb, 4 speed and 3.73 rear gears. We just need more torque to get this turd to get its tires to turn. come on chubby gearheads give me some info
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: 305 Cam Reply with quote

I am assuming that your 305 is stock except for the modifications mentioned. Since I am also assuming you don't plan on modifying the 305 heads extensively (aside from the required valve spring replacement required by a rumpitty rump cam).

I would suggest either a Crower #00241 214/218 @0.050" with 0.456"/0.458" lift on 1.5 rockers (which as everyone is quick to point out aren't when using stamped stockers), or a CompCams #XE268H 224-230 @0.050" with 0.477"/0.488" lift with 1.5 rockers (both with 110 LSA on 107 centerline). From Lunati VooDoo # 60101 213/219 @0.050" with 0.454"/0.468" lift with 1.5 rockers 112 on 108 centerline, and Crane Cams offers #104124 214/220 @0.050" with 0.452"/0.456" lift with 1.5 rockers 112 degrees on 108 centerline.

You may find these picks mild but they are as radical as I would go with stock valve train. You must at the very minimum order new hydraulic flat tappets, and I can not urge strongly enough ordering matching springs (1.25" OD for stock heads) to go with the cam (which is to say a complete kit of cam, springs and lifters).

There are three areas of concern. The issues with the stamped steel rockers having restrictive slots which bind at high lifts. The stock 3/8th studs are pressed in, but I doubt if there pulling out will become an issue. And then there is the issue of valve to piston clearance (which can be checked with the heads on the vehicle if you accurately measure travel).

Engineers hate to make recommendations which push the boundary as we like to err on the side of caution. These cams in a 350 with the correct valve train parts will allow you to spin up to 5,800 RPM which is about the limit of your combination. It should accentuate the midrange and top end at the expense of vacuum and bottom end. They should have a very noticeable idle which everyone likes.

Big Dave
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on those cams they look small but going in a 305 they will act "bigger" than they would in a 350. I had two 84 305s one in a 4X4 the other in a Caprice, both factory 4bbl and both were fine in the power department. I put a Performer intake on the truck and it made a nice improvement, but I am guessing your intake choice was more for the later 350 swap. I think you need to pay attention to getting it tuned well and live with it till you swap it out, that motor will not deliver a whole lot in the way of performance without more involved work like porting the heads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: