Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

The lethal brain cell effects of racing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: The lethal brain cell effects of racing Reply with quote

I have an alternator cut-off switch that allows my battery kill switch to choke the engine. When I go through tech, it has to be off. So the other day I follow my usual procedure: go through tech, get a number, park by the bathroom and unload the junk from my car (tools, air tank, etc.), drop my tire pressure and get in the lanes. First pass I pick up a high rpm miss and it runs 12.15. Next pass it is coughing hard above 6k and I run a 12.11, but on the return road I can tell its a jug short. I'm thinking springs so I'm checking them out while a buddy is watching from the passenger side. He asks why I checked the plug on #6. Sure as death, the plug wire is hanging there like an executioners dream. Thinking the problem cured, I make my third pass and the beast whimpers badly above 5.5k, putting a 12.35 on the board. Things are going backwards, so I decide to call it a day, grab my tools, air up the ETs and head for home. On the way, the car is sputtering and complaining like a welfare queen when asked to do any work above 5k. I pull in the driveway, kill it and realize the power windows are still down, so flip the key to run and hit the switch. The windows barely move. I check the voltmeter and there it is, about 6 V. This is the second time I have forgot to rearm the alternator! I flip it back on, get the engine cranked and head back to the track. On the way it seems OK, so I get there just in time to make my first pass in eliminations. I dial a 12.10, stage and seriously blow the tires off, to the tune of the shift light (6.8k) burning holes in my head before the rear of the car clears the tree. I pedal furiously and the car semihooks at 1/4 track. I'm racing a 13.20 dial and he is gone. The car hits 6k and starts chattering again, and the other lane grabs the stripe by 6 or 7 lengths. I run a 12.28 @ 114, and he cuts a 12.60. Big breakout. Knowing I'm living the good life, I leave my 12.10 for round 2, run against 12.70 dial and shred the tires again to the tune of a 2.10 60 ft. I have to back out of it and get back in several times in both 1st and 2nd. The other lane thinks he has a wrap because of the huge lead, but he brakes on top and gives me the stripe! Another 12.28 but I have to shift at 5.8k to keep it happy. Third round, I bulb and the car kinda hooks with a 1.750 short time. I wind it to 6k in each gear where it pops, and run an 11.65 @ 116.85! Go figure. By now, you have probably guessed how stupid I am, and you're right. When I got back to the track, I forgot to drop the air pressure back down. Try running a set of ET Streets at 31 psi sometime if you want the thrill of a lifetime. Embarassed

Last edited by osmiumfoot on Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
85GMCstreetbeast

9229.74 points

1985 Chevrolet GMC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that was a good enjoyable story! thanks for sharing osm What kind of car are you racing? an i hate electrical gremlins be it i forgot to hook something up or it shorts out they are pita.
osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 77 RS Camaro that my wife has owned since Noah freshened the engine in the ark. The electronic gremlin was apparently the module, because it went away when I reinstalled my MSD. Its kinda weird though, because I have gone through a couple of other modules and they just flat out died, as in DOA. No cutting out, no warning. Hmmmm.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ALL do silly things like that. Hopefully though we don't just get a laugh from sharring them but burn it into our own memory and that of other and avoid that particular mistake next time.

I have gone to the track with no helmet several times and last time forgot a jack, the jack thing didn't hurt me though because after sitting in line for 40 minutes just to get to the gate I was in no mood to race or put up with the other BS there and left.
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats 1 heck of a battery to handle all that!!!!
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see it's not just me doing things like this.
The_Raven

3655.66 points

1985 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at least you got a great story out of it.

Also shows you're true racer, drive back to the track, on a whim that you have time to get in.

"Speed costs, How fast do you want to go?"
2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The lethal brain cell effects of racing Reply with quote

osmiumfoot wrote:
the car is sputtering and complaining like a welfare queen when asked to do any work Embarassed

Laughing I love that one! Never heard that before! I give ya tons of credit for even going back the second time!

I've got a neutral safety switch wired up kind of funky that I forget about all the time. Actually, its a NOS WOT switch wired to the shifter linkage with a toggle switch wired in thats hidden in the glove box. One way it will only start in park (excellent for tech Wink ) and in the other position it starts in any gear. I got teched in one time, went up for my 1st pass & the car stalled afetr the burnout. I flopped it in neutral but forgot to flip the switch & the car wouldnt start Evil or Very Mad Well, after getting pushed out of the way & tearing half the ignition system apart I remembered the toggle switch Rolling Eyes I think race gas & burning rubber melt braincells too!!

The_Raven

3655.66 points

1985 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The lethal brain cell effects of racing Reply with quote

[quote="2x4"]
osmiumfoot wrote:
I think race gas & burning rubber melt braincells too!!

Drag racing, more dangerous than crystal meth. Laughing

But the high is so worth it! (drag racing I mean)

"Speed costs, How fast do you want to go?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: