Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Some SBC NEWBIE QUESTIONS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87calais wrote:
with a 600lb+ car... you may wish to consider keeping some sort of fuel injection and going forced induction, Or at the very least, try to track down some people with trucks, and see what they have done mods wise, alot of the heavy duty trucks push close to 3 tons.... Or if you don't like that route, maybe even a 383?
Though I've driven 350 powered 5000+ pound cars, and they still have that initial kick off the line, they are by no means quick....
Sorry if this is a lil hectic, I'm trying to pay attention in school at the same time
Tim

Yeah thats cool I really don't need quick. More concerned with Sound & Torque. A 383 Would be a torque monster though wouldn't it? I'm still on a budget though... Small one at that. LOL
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 383 will effectively give you a shitload of torque. quite the scientific view I have eh? But in all seriousness, the 383 will lower the rpm band for a given cam by some 3-500 rpm, still keeping the same horsepower, maybe even gaining a few, so producing a much stronger power band all the way up, also smoothes out the idle of cams a little bit, and is just over all a cool combo. The best part of it is that the kits are popular enough wwhere for 800$ you can order the complete rotating assembly, already balanced, which is really only a couple hundred more then a normal mild performance rebuild would cost.
Keep it reall
Tim

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 87calais.... Extra cubes for a big heavy car is the way to go.
CHEVY POWERED OLDS

472.06 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUMMMMMMM You all have definetley peaked mu curiosity. I think I'm gonna look into that. Like I said Keep it coming. I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is to make a stroker really work you will need decent heads, cheapest I see you getting off there is $500 a set for Vortec heads and another $500 in porting studs and springs.

I agree a stroker would help the car out but just don't see it aligning with any budget goals very well. Stroker cranks are relatively inexpensive these days say under $200 unbalanced if you go very basic, but balancing, pistons, rods, block clearancing and all add up in a hurry.

A guy on another forum I frequent is running 12s I believe with a Caprice wagon weighing in over 4700lbs. Mild cam worked heads on a 350 LT1, look here http://dan.esteban.com/impalass/ReturnTopET.asp down to entry 102. The LT1 does allow more compression than your 350 due to cooling differences but the shortblock is VERY similar as is the valvetrain and the Vortec heads I mentioned are standard coolant flow copies of the iron LT1 heads.
Given this I think with a limited budget your money would be better spent on heads as the ones you have now MIGHT flow 195cfm where bone stock Vortecs are something over 220cfm and improve with porting. Of courese there are other head choices these are just dirt cheap new and offer decent flow to start.
The rest of you might enjoy flipping around that link too, it is a great catalog of what guys have used to accoplish what times with their Impalas and Caprices mostly with the occassional Roadmaster or Fleetwood. I think it good info here because many of these cars are still 350s and lowest raceweight of stripped cars is still around 4000lbs. with just a freak or two below that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: