Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

66 Chevelle 383

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooleys66

462.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: 66 Chevelle 383 Reply with quote

383 stroker motor i built myself. worked on the combo for about a year before i invested my money. 3650 lb vehicle. th350 w/ 3500stall. World heads no porting. kb pistons, 4.11 10 bolt rear end,MT et street 28x12.50x15 tires. Runs cosistently in the 7.70's 1/8 mile on the motor.
Havent treid bottle(yet). pump gas vehicle. Let me know if you know any cheap tricks to get it to faster without major motor or head word
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which World heads are you running? The Sportsman II's can pick up a good bit of flow from some basic bowl work. Cam specs? Intake? Carb? 3650 with driver or without? Clay
Cooleys66

462.26 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportsman II heads, 535-555 mechanical cam, solid lifters, 750 double pumper carb w/proform racing bowl, crane gold rockers,kb 100 dome hyperk pistons 11.9-1 comp. thanks for your reply by the way
Cooleys66

462.26 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor jr. intake
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a smaller tire. On my car which is pretty similiar on displacement and weight a 26" tall vs. a 28" tire was about a 0.1 due to the improved gearing and maybe reduced weight. If you could run a narrower tire that might help too assuming it didn't spin of course. Try a 1" spacer on the Victor Jr. if you don't have one. Unless you plan on spraying pretty heavy, the RPM air gap will probably outrun the Victor Jr. I never tried one, but the magazine tests sure look good. The RPM usually only loses like 5 - 10 h.p. up top but usually picks up 20 - 30 ft. lbs. of torque in the midrange where you are really trying to accelerate the car. What are your 60' times? If you want to try porting heads, the Sportsman II's are good to try. David Vizard has a pretty good book on head porting. In unmodified form they are similiar to the factory Vortec heads on the intake and not quite as good on the exhaust. Since this is a pump gas car, what kind of exhaust are you running? Have you ever tried tuning the carburetor main jets at the track using the clocks? Same goes for tuning the ignition timing. I'll probably think of more to ask later. Clay
Cooleys66

462.26 points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 60 foot times are 1.70 - 1.74 on all my runs. half track times 4.98-
5.036 on all my times. I thought about running a MT street 28 x 11.50 instead of 28x12.50. im pretty sure it will hook up. do not have a 1 inch spacer on my intake. never even had it dynoed. Dont know what HP ive got or torque. Ill guess around 450hp and maybe 590 torque? i exspected it to run in the 7.50's. But cant seem to get it right. i might have something up with my rings as well. when i drive it down the road and romp on it just for a quarter second( as fast as i can put my foot on the gas and then off) about a half second later a quit large puf of smoke rolls out. But normal driving it does not smoke. even running it down the track it smokes of the line but quits instantly. any ideas . thanks for responding
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with around 450 on h.p., but not as high on the torque, maybe high 400 to low 500. Edelbrock offers the Victor Jr. cast 1" taller for classes that don't allow a seperate spacer, so it might help, it's a cheap try. I usually ran mid 1.60's and a few low 1.60's in the 60', so either a shorter tire or more gear might help you get the car moving. The puff of smoke you describe sounds like too much pump shot and not a ring problem. What are the duration specs on your cam? I'm wondering if you have too small a cam with the high compression ratio on pump gas. What kind of cranking compression do you have? What kind of ignition system are you running? What are your initial and total ignition timing figures? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I really like tuning and playing with pump gas stuff. Clay
Cooleys66

462.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest im getting some good ideas from you.
my cam is a comp. racing cam hi-tech solid.dur.@.050" .532/.555 lift
106degrees lobe separation. im running a 6AL msd ignition.
msd pro billett distributor w/ blaster 3 power tower coil.
I am not running nitrous. straight carb 750 double pumper.
my victor jr. is 4150 flange port matched. regular hooker headers
race flowmaster right of the headers.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooleys66,

I run similar times in a 3620 pound 72 Nova. Like Clay, I think your torque figures are a little high, probably more in the 450 range.
Getting to the track on a day that you can make a lot of passes would be most beneficial. Make one change, make 2 passes. Make another change followed by 2 passes and so on until you get the car dialed in. I make timing changes 2 degrees at a time. The same with jetting changes. I change them 2 sizes at a time. Also try different shift points.

I have a scoop on my hood and box in the carb so that the hot air from the engine doesn't get into the carb. I've never run it without the box but in other cars I've noticed an improvement. I haven't tried running without the air cleaner. I run a K & N including the top area filter. Now that we only have test and tune at the track I plan to test like I suggested earlier.
I've run a best of 11.86 @ 114. I'm hoping to find a couple of tenths.

I run a 28 inch tall tire (BFG Drag Radial 27560R15) That's about all the tire that will fit in my car.
Cooleys66

462.26 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my best times were at 41 degrees timing. my jets are 84 in the back and 76(i think) in the front. im pretty sure its over 500 ft lbs of torgue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: