Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

AFR Heads- Oil Control Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: AFR Heads- Oil Control Issues Reply with quote

Where's that old thread when you need it... Evil or Very Mad

Have a pair that is smoking like a freight train when cold, then when hot it gets better...maybe when the oil gets hot and thins it drains away easier?

Besides the good seals, what was the milling mod, a channel down the head lengthwise through the spring pockets? Same depth as the pockets?

Anyone save a pic?

Thanks-Hanz

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as I can remember 86GN cut about a 1/2" wide slot that was centered over the lower bottom corner of the spring pocket. It was cut using a ball nose end mill and he stayed about 0.040" shy of the depth of the spring pocket. I kinda payed attention to this post because I have a set too that will probalby get the same mod. Seems like I remember Bill Jones saying the AFR heads have problems with air pockets in this area and also at the tops of some of the exhaust ports also. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of good threads that went bye bye. Sad

Like clay said send 86GN is the one who did it. I just sent him a PM asking if he has the info to re-post.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
Plenty of good threads that went bye bye. Sad

Like clay said send 86GN is the one who did it. I just sent him a PM asking if he has the info to re-post.

Smoke did you hear back from 86GN?

Bill, are you around to describe this procedure?

Thanks-Hanz

BTW- I have the good positive seals for these heads in stock, as well as their special 'stepped' bronze valve guides.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanz. No I haven't heard back from 86GN yet. He logged in and read the message but didn't respond. I'll give him a day and then ping him again.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanz.... 86GN got back to me with the pictures for the mods he did to the heads.

I will post a separate page, not in the message board soon. It will be in the Tech article section.
bill jones

4414.80 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-So does activity this mean we're back in business again?
-----------------------------------------------
-The AFR heads I did were SBC's (and one set of SBF's) and the problem was the aluminum castings surrounded the valve springs so bad that the spring pockets were recessed about 3/8" and then the aluminum drainage pathways are alos raised up this same 3/8" so now you have the seals almost totally submerged in oil---all the time.
-I machine a trough the full length of the heads on any heads that I see with this sort of problem using a 5/8" round nose ball mill.
-This trough has to contour around the valve cover bolt bosses and you end up sort of under cutting the valve cover rail area when the head is tilted up 45 degrees while you mill this trough.
-Then when you get to looking at the oil drain holes they appear to be higher than normal because of the thick aluminum so you almost have to contour this machined trough around and into those drainage holes---and blend those drainage holes real good.
-------------------------------------------
-The bottom of the spring pockets also need to be machined with a connecting groove at the bottom of each of the pockets so ALL the oil will drain from each of the spring shim areas into the trough.
-------------------------------------------
-Another deal was the valve stem seals.
-If you happen to be using Teflon seals with the expandable 3 finger band--you have to make sure that 3 finger area is rotated UP towards the rocker studs so that it at the highest point when installed because the seals leak near that 3 finger area.
---------------------------------------------
-The area where I cut the trough I always fully expect to find a break thru into the water jacket on ANY AFR head but I have yet to fall thru.
-If I did happen to fall thru I would repair the area with a thin piece of curved tin---sort of like a piece of a curved tape measure material---and JB Weld that piece in there so that it would have a lot of surface area compared to the open area that would be wet with water.
--------------------------------------------
-I DO NOT like the AFR heads for the fact they have always shown me surprises with sanding pot holes and just about the time you get a port to flow where you want it they break thru into the water jacket---like the roofs of the exhaust ports along the sides of the valve guides---so I would fully expect to have problems with machining something like these troughs.
----------------------------------------------
-I had some communication with AFR about it some years back and they told me that oil trough area would be very thin above the exhaust ports.
-I might have pictures that I could e-mail if I had an e-mail address to send'm to.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill jones wrote:
-So does activity this mean we're back in business again?
-I might have pictures that I could e-mail if I had an e-mail address to send'm to.

Hell yes! we're back in business again. I will be changing a few more things around but the new server is up and running.

I'll send you a PM with an email address.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the old thread (Smoke did you know that you can find any old thread via Google by clicking on 'cached?' very cool!)

So I machined my heads as discussed, and I can also furnish a pic to archive if needed. Hanz

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanz wrote:
I found the old thread (Smoke did you know that you can find any old thread via Google by clicking on 'cached?' very cool!)

So I machined my heads as discussed, and I can also furnish a pic to archive if needed. Hanz

Yes I did. I actually saved a bunch of stuff from Google that I would have otherwise lost. Google is your friend. I still want to put together a page on this in the tech section.
bill jones

4414.80 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-All I could find is two photos of an AFR SBF head and one is quite dark so I just sent you the best one.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill jones wrote:
-All I could find is two photos of an AFR SBF head and one is quite dark so I just sent you the best one.

Got it, Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: