Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

350ci chevy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne

100.00 points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: 350ci chevy Reply with quote

i built a 350 for my 86 chev pickup,went 30 over flat top pistons with vortec heads performer rpm intake & 750 elbrock carb comp cam xe268h cam kit with springs, dueal 21/2 exaust turbo mufflers & headers
acell coil modugal & wires. stall converter is 500 over stock.
(have spark knock tryed timen over & over running high test pump gas
runs pretty strong but dont think it is strong as I hear other people clame this combo gives them, i am a retired mech this truck is my hobby toy
would like some help frone any one.
86GN

4042.20 points

1990 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been having the knock problem for a while? I've seen another knock complaint with about the same combo on another board.

How much total timing are you running ? Is the vacuum advance hooked up ? Have you verified that TDC on the balancer is actually top dead center ? Was the cam degreed when installed ? How much cranking compression are you getting now ? Water temps ? Was the block zero decked when built ?

If all this stuff is in line, a little time on a chassis dyno with a wideband O2, can tell you alot. Usually it's all in the tune.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to add something here but I think 86GN covered everything.

This month's Car Craft September 2002 I read a build up of a similiar motor except they ran the comp cam XE274. The managed 442 HP @ 5900 rpm and 452 ft-lbs of torque @ 4400 rpm.

They ran the edelbrock RPM vortec intake with 1.6 rockers with a 1 inch spacer for the combo. The compression ratio was 10:1 with flat-top pistons.
wayne

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: 350 Reply with quote

Thanks for the help having the truck painted right now. I will run a compression check and let you know next week. I degreed the cam when I installed it. The block has not been decked. Total timing has been tryed at 32,34&36. Then just tried to find anything it might like. Tried different springs in the dis. I know I over looked something will try at it some more next week.
1erful

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAYNE: I just joined this list and I have been reading different postings. You stated in your first posting that you used vortec heads, if so I think that you may be running way too much total timing. Vortec heads are of the fast burn type and require much less advance over normal heads. Try reducing your total timing to 28 degrees and see if this helps. If it does then advance 2 degrees at a time and compare results. To get the best results you should try to get about .040-.050" between the top of the piston and the bottom of the cylinder head. .040 is better. Stock deck is around .025" and with a steel shim headgasket you should be right on the money.
Keep in touch
WALT WARREN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: