Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Just ordered some DR's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for gears, brother. Razz
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

osmiumfoot wrote:
Time for gears, brother. Razz

It's on the to do list. You'll laugh but I'm only planning on going to 3.23 or 3.42 at max. I really like the mpg's on this thing. I drove approx 60 miles each way, started with 3/4 of tank. Averaged 80 mph crusing on the highway, raced 4 runs, drove home another 60 miles, raced one of the modded WRX's from the track on the highway (ran away from him Smile ) and I averaged 23 mpg's.
2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, whats wrong with 3.23's! Thats what I use Wink
Ya know Smoke, I really thought it would pick up more than it did. Its going the right direction, but seems like the chunk it took off would have been more.
How did you like the Nittos? Do they need much of a burnout? Get to play with pressure at all?

Sooo.....when cam we count on it getting stroked, big lumpy cam, maybe a hairdrier or two....... Wink

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2x4 wrote:
Hey, whats wrong with 3.23's! Thats what I use Wink
Ya know Smoke, I really thought it would pick up more than it did. Its going the right direction, but seems like the chunk it took off would have been more.
How did you like the Nittos? Do they need much of a burnout? Get to play with pressure at all?

Sooo.....when cam we count on it getting stroked, big lumpy cam, maybe a hairdrier or two....... Wink

I thought it would pick up more too. I think the converter is really killing it. I was hoping for a 13.1 or 13.2's.

The jury is still out on the Nitto's. With the stock converter it's not really a test. I ran 18 psi in them. Comparing them to the stock tires there was no comparison, Nitto's all the way. But my old stock tires were worn out bad so it wasn't a fair apples to apples comparison. Ask me this question after the converter goes in.

Stroked...cam...and hairdriers will NEVER come for this car. However it's got me thinking of a twin turbo LS1 for the 79. Now all need to do is hit the lottery and be able to pay for it. Smile
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: 12 ANYTHING: Reply with quote

I don't remember if I asked you this before. What do the stock Camaro's get for a 60 foot time?

What's the stall in a stock converter?

How much converter would you put in it?

I like the 3.42. You think it will be too much on the highway?

What RPM are you going through the lights at?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65175.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on which stock camaro your refering to. Some SLP SS's have a higher stall and with good tires get sub 2.0's. I would say the 60' times vary from 2.5 - 2.0. The 6 speeds with ET streets on a stock suspension can dip into the 1.6's.

The stock stall is 1600 I think.

I'm thinking of a 3500 stall. I know it sounds high but with the lock up and a high stall to torque ratio they claim they are very streetable.

3.42 is what the 6speeds have as a performance axle option. That would take my 80 mph crusie rpm from 2000 to 2500. It doesn't sound like much but it will hurt gas mileage. I'm leaning towards the 3.23 because I'll gain about 2 - 3 tenths from the 2.73 - 3.23. I'll only gain about 1 -2 tenths from 3.23 -3.42.

I'll have to look at the datalogs but I think I'm going through the lights at about 4200 rpm's in 3rd gear.
doug242ti

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one thing. I have friends down in AU, and I guess the nitto's are very popular down there. Word is, they love long hot burnouts. Really have to get em warm.

Doesn't sound like you were having traction issues though Wink

82 Volvo 242ti powered by holset (all 22psi's worth)
Sponsers: Edo Performance Evolve
ABIGBRAIN

2781.08 points

1968 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to disagree about the "long hot burnouts" for drag radials. My experience shows that for the dragstrip, once you start to see smoke from both of your side mirrors, that's enough. On the street...... that's a different story. Everyone likes a long smoke maker. On a concrete starting pad better traction will be had with a minimal burnout. On the street (asphalt) the longer burn might help. At the track, once you see smoke, the tire surface temp is between 180-220 degrees. If you burn them too long the rubber temp jumps upwards to 250-300 degrees. TOO HOT for traction. Not to mention that the hotter the tire rubber, the more air pressure that builds up inside the tire as the air begins to expand. Basically you want the tire warm and sticky, not boiled and greasy. Ever try and launch a car over a layer of grease? Not pretty and not quick.

One other thing..... Most tracks in the northeast are still pretty green as far as traction goes. With the few exceptions like Englishtown, Maple Grove and perhaps ATCO raceway. Give your track a few more weeks of action before you decide that your wintertime expenses are not what you had hoped for.
By the way, first time out this season, the Chevelle went 11.21 @ 120 (up 2 MPH from last year) but the 60' was a green 1.65 Crying or Very sad need to fatten up the jets. 850 DP was reworked and now flows 1019 CFM Very Happy
Hope this helps
-Andy-

1968 Chevelle - 10.47@126 MPH 1.43 60' 383 SBC NA, Original rear suspension. 149,000 + miles

doug242ti

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I typically agree, but this is what my down under friends found work best AT the track with the nitto's.

Its possible the tracks aren't nearly as prep'd as ours or what not though.

ABIGBRAIN

2781.08 points

1968 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

By down under, do you mean Aussie? I for one havent been there to witness the racing scene or the "Southern Cross" (wan't to before I expire) But, I can only speak from my OWN experiences.

Nice Volvo you have. I had never thought about tuning one myself, but I did wake up once from a dream that involved an inline 5 with me arguing with a sales rep that I only needed 5 nitrous nozzels and not 6. lol Laughing

1968 Chevelle - 10.47@126 MPH 1.43 60' 383 SBC NA, Original rear suspension. 149,000 + miles

doug242ti

100.00 points

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABIGBRAIN wrote:
Doug,

By down under, do you mean Aussie? I for one havent been there to witness the racing scene or the "Southern Cross" (wan't to before I expire) But, I can only speak from my OWN experiences.

Nice Volvo you have. I had never thought about tuning one myself, but I did wake up once from a dream that involved an inline 5 with me arguing with a sales rep that I only needed 5 nitrous nozzels and not 6. lol Laughing

ahahahahah I rember way back when, before I was in volvo's, I argued with my friend that he had a I6. "I5... only volvo would do something that goofy" (When I finally caved in).

Thanks... its an intresting car. Yep, can only go from what I've heard and read... but its probably just a track prep thing down there Wink

hemistudegasser

100.00 points

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

in my experience as well as soon as we see a little smoke thats all we do and it hooks great. i asked my chassis guy what to do with them, he said just do a little burnout. by the way i'm runningthe m/t et streets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: