Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

On the topic of safety gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: On the topic of safety gear Reply with quote

In the other thread there is a discussion about roll bars and roll cages and when is the right time to install one. My question is off on a slightly different tangent. Most safety gear, in my understanding, must be recertified every X amount of years to insure that it has not degraded into an unsafe condition. Lets talk helments, what is the difference between DOT approved and Snell approved and do these have to be recertified and in how many years? Also, I seem to recall reading an article or watching a show that talked about one of the many talented custom painters who will do helments, in fact I have one that works at my place of enslavement. I seem to remember that the story mentioned that eventhough the helments usually went straight to the painter from the manufacturer, that they had to be recertified after the custom paint was applied. Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm reasonably sure my co-worker does not follow this practice.
techinspector1

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can't speak for other sanctioning bodies, maybe I can shed some light on NHRA and SFI. Several years ago, it was determined that a separate testing facility was needed to insure the quality of race parts. The Specialty Equipment Marketing Association (SEMA) formed the SFI (Sema Foundation Inc.) to test and certify these parts and provide guidelines for manufacturers to follow. The Snell Foundation serves much the same function. DOT (Department of Transportation) serves a similar function in respect to the general public, although DOT approved helmets are NOT legal for NHRA drag racing. Only SFI and Snell approved helmets will be accepted. At present, there is no expiration on SFI helmets, but Snell approved helmets expire after 17 years (15 years with a 2 year grace period). As far as I know, there is no re-certification of helmets, you just sell it to someone who doesn't need a certified helmet, such as an offroad biker. Any part that has been modified after SFI certification can be considered junk, such as a flywheel shield that has been drilled to mount an ignition coil for instance. I don't know if painting a helmet will void the cert. I do know that if you show up at Firebird and I tech you, I'm not going to bounce you for paint. I'll check inside the helmet for a valid Snell or SFI sticker and turn you loose to race. No valid sticker, no race. You might want to contact SFI and Snell to ask if the paint is a problem for them.

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how painting a helmet would change the Snell approval providing that the helmet wasn't altered. The Techperson will look to see that your helmet is Snell approved for the racing level you are running but it is not certified. The lower class cars do not have to be certified, however they are looked over closely each time the car goes through tech.

Our resident Tech guy will I'm sure put you on the right track. If you are building a car set it up to NHRA standards.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65149.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Techinspector can type a little faster than Jeep.
jeep_406

53158.50 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right SMOKE. I'm a two fingered typist, then I read it over to check for errors. . .evn then eye Stl mak mstakes.
Are we about to see a new picture with your messages?
As you know I'm not too smart but I don't know how to get a picture when it displays the red X in the upper left corner.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65149.84 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep_406 wrote:
You're right SMOKE. I'm a two fingered typist, then I read it over to check for errors. . .evn then eye Stl mak mstakes.
Are we about to see a new picture with your messages?
As you know I'm not too smart but I don't know how to get a picture when it displays the red X in the upper left corner.

Not just yet. But you reminded me I forgot to copy over the avatars to the new board, thanks. (I knew I forgot something)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: