Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

New rims and tires
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Uncle wanted to replace his tires on a 50th anniversary Vette he has had since new. The particular tires are 10 years old or something like that and he was talking about the age and rubber doing what yours did. This might be more common in higher end tires but I guess it can happen to any older tire. I think it has a lot to do with heat cycles, sun exposure and age.
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has a lot to do with the fact that tires are still made of rubber. Rubber is a tree sap that has been cured with Sulfur and then smoked to perfection like a country ham. But it is still all natural, except for the reinforcing fibers and the steel wires in the bead. Natural things naturally rot away. Tires are no different.

Sunlight and Oxygen accelerate the decomposition process (which is why tires are now filed with Nitrogen), but parking in the garage can not stop it from happening.

I replaced all of the tires on my motor home recently because they were over seven years old (7 tires at $236 each). Hard as a brick tires still had a few tits on the side wall with just over 29,000 miles on the tires. A kid changing tires pulled them off the scrap heap that I paid $4.50 for each tire to put it there so he could put them on a friends 3/4 ton pick-up truck. One man's trash ....

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: