Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

got a leak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will pick fun all my Fords are running LOL I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Sorry to hear about your troubles guys. This hobby does try your patience. I am actually having issues with holding the head gasket on that 588 BBF I think I have it narrowed down to not enough quench. Runs great on the 150 shot but when the fogger comes on with another 300 hit it blows the radiator hose off which ended up putting the car in the wall at 130mph just before the 1/8. Pretty much ruined the car but no injuries. Sorry about the thread high jack.

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your totaling your car William!

I'm going to assume that your blown head gasket pressurized your cooling system to the point of blowing the hose off?

Big Dave
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Sorry to hear about your totaling your car William!

I'm going to assume that your blown head gasket pressurized your cooling system to the point of blowing the hose off?

Big Dave

Yeah but the gasket didn't blow they lifted then sealed back up this thing never burned a plug or had any signs of detonation. This was a friends car and he has been having issues with it (3 blown engines) he brought it to us to figure it out and never gave me the whole story. I told him running that much nitrous he should have his water system done with AN fittings which might have saved his car. He took the car out and made some passes and blew the hose off (apparently everytime he has used the fogger it has had a problem) brought it back to me I pulled the heads checked them and the gaskets put new head studs and gaskets and he tried again made 4 passes with 150 shot and ran a best of 5.35 then tried the fogger and it happened again. I have the quench at .046 which is what it has always been since I used the same part# head gasket that the other builders used. After talking to a few well known people that deal with big inch engines that run alot of Nitrous they said that my quench needs to be between .070 and .100 and that I need to change the exh side of the cam profile to make it live with the 10 bolt head. So thats what we are going to do that and send the fogger system and manifold off to Steve Johnson to get flowed and a tune set up for this thing. Hopefully next time it will be good to go because we are going to put it in my blue foxbody.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading that, i wonder if boost pressure is what caused my intercooler to leak water. never had an issue until after it pulled the stud out of the carb on the last pass. unfortunately, i wasnt paying attention to boost. only afr. Crying or Very sad

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i wasnt paying attention to boost. only afr.

That's why you need some sort of datalogging - you know it would help you sort things out a lot faster / easier because stuff is happening fast. I know I'm telling you something you know but..........Clay

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be perfectly honest, i never expected that little T-trim to make more than about 12 psi on a 420" engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: